You know, I'd care, but... | The Boneyard

You know, I'd care, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I'm so excited for the basketball team, I really am finding myself not caring too much about the state of the football program right now.

Edsall screwed us. PP isn't working as well as we thought. Maybe Hathaway is to blame. It's probably a combination of things.

But really, it's not like everything's bad at UConn these days...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If you remember last year started off badly with the loss at Michigan and then getting beat by Temple and everyone wanted Edsall to be fired. It reminds me of what I have been reading the last day or so. Of course with all the conference splitting talk, it has taken a back seat.

When I'm so excited for the basketball team, I really am finding myself not caring too much about the state of the football program right now.

Edsall screwed us. PP isn't working as well as we thought. Maybe Hathaway is to blame. It's probably a combination of things.

But really, it's not like everything's bad at UConn these days...

Reaction Score
And ended with us being in a bowl we didn't deserve and making a nice effort against a team that was miles better than us. The story of UConn football so far: make a nice effort.

Reaction Score
And ended with us being in a bowl we didn't deserve and making a nice effort against a team that was miles better than us. The story of UConn football so far: make a nice effort.

Didn't deserve? Wha?

Reaction Score
Didn't deserve in terms of being a good enough team to play in a BCS bowl. We got in because of the rules, and we needed help from WVU to get in. Still a great achievement for the program, but you can't honestly say our team was a BCS-caliber team last year. That said, you could make a similar argument about VA Tech last year.

Reaction Score
Have to agree that the bowl game was a solid barometer of where we are as a program. Still miles away from any national considerations.

Reaction Score
Didn't deserve in terms of being a good enough team to play in a BCS bowl. We got in because of the rules, and we needed help from WVU to get in. Still a great achievement for the program, but you can't honestly say our team was a BCS-caliber team last year. That said, you could make a similar argument about VA Tech last year.

We won a BCS conference. That makes you worthy of playing in a BCS game, period.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying. I agree in general that any type of BCS / playoff arrangement doesn't always guarantee the "best" teams are given a shot every year...as for WVU though, we didn't get any "help" from them that I'm aware of. I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth so please straighten me out if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you are referring to their turnovers that game....If so, we earned those TO's, and to the extent that no game in history has ever been played with 100% efficiency, the losing team has always "helped" the winner. If you are referring to WVU in some other way, sorry-again, I don't want to try and speak for you.

Reaction Score
I'm saying we got help as in we needed them to lose in order for us to get in, so we didn't control our own destiny until the USF game.

The "win your conference and youre in, period" argument is just more weight behind my argument that we got in because of the rules, and not based on any kind of merit.

Reaction Score
We got in because we beat both Pitt and WVU head to head. That's not merit?

Reaction Score
WVU and Pitt needed US to lose to USF to go because we beat both of them. We didn't need help, they did, and they didn't get it.

Reaction Score
I think they held together really nicely to only lose by 2 touchdowns to the current #1 in the nation. Could have been a LOT more embarrassing than that.

Reaction Score
I think they held together really nicely to only lose by 2 touchdowns to the current #1 in the nation. Could have been a LOT more embarrassing than that.
Yes, they did put out a solid effort against a great team, but the final score was not two TD's, it was four.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Edsall screwed us? Have you seen Maryland's record? UConn football will be just fine. This season was shaping up to be a 7 win season anyway with the offensive talent we have. May still get to 6 or so with a new coach.

Reaction Score
This was always going to be a rebuilding year. The learning curve with a new coaching staff is a sharp one in the first year. (Edsall at Maryland is a good illustration of just how sharp it can be.) We have three games left in the season: a winning record sends us to a bowl. This is still a great situation to be in and there is every reason to be excited about the season.

Reaction Score
The offensive cupboard was pretty bare. We were almost unanimously picked to be the worst team in the Big East because of it, and people still act surprised that it happened, with a new coaching staff. Seems to me like Coach P has hit the recruiting trail hard so I'm happy to give them a chance to come in and show us what they can do.

Reaction Score
Edsall screwed us? Have you seen Maryland's record? UConn football will be just fine. This season was shaping up to be a 7 win season anyway with the offensive talent we have. May still get to 6 or so with a new coach.

I can't help but notice that you pulled up a post that was MORE than a month old.

And yes, Edsall did screw us with his recruiting. I don't mean it in his coaching...he left the program in a poor place. And I still mean that today.

Reaction Score
It's threads like this that make me wonder where CT fans get the bad rap of being front runner bandwagon fans.

Reaction Score
It's threads like this that make me wonder where CT fans get the bad rap of being front runner bandwagon fans.

I'm not a bandwagon fan. Even though I go to Cincy now, I'm going to the UConn Cincy game wearing my UConn jersey. The fact is, this team is not exciting. I'm not going to shift the whole world's schedule to watch the UConn games this year unlike last year where I pretty much secluded myself from society to find the game.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
You thought last year's team was "exciting"? Sadly, UConn fans haven't seen exciting in years. Let's hope that changes in the near future.

Reaction Score
You thought last year's team was "exciting"? Sadly, UConn fans haven't seen exciting in years. Let's hope that changes in the near future.

I'd share your sentiment after the Michigan game. For maybe a few weeks. But there was nothing more exciting than UConn getting their first win against WVU, UConn winning the USF game in the last seconds (I literally jumped off my couch and screamed for several minutes.) Just the way they closed out last season...it was a very fun year to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom