Yikes ...Crystal On Crutches, Now Kyla Out For Four Weeks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yikes ...Crystal On Crutches, Now Kyla Out For Four Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OPtimistic, but I'd be thrilled with that.

Yes, and here's why: There are 3 openings in the starting lineup for next season. Gabby and Napheesa will no doubt fill two of those spots. They were the first two off the bench this past season, especially during the tournaments. Stewie's offensive production, and defensive presence will hard to replace, and will be the biggest problem for the staff to deal with. Jefferson & Tuck's floor leadership will also be hard to replace, but it will be, probably by Nurse or Williams. I'd bet the staff has already had meetings on this issue, and have formulated a plan with several contingencies. They're not going to wait a day or two before the season starts to figure out a plan of action. They've dealt with the revolving door - players out, players in before. They know their personnel. They know what they're doing, they'll get it right.

Geno will again this year put 5 starting players on the floor that can all score. They will also play tough, in-your-face, turn-you-over defense for 40 minutes. Collier and Williams will take the floor this season with a different mindset, that of a starter. When you come off the bench, you know two things:
1. You're a roll player. You're only out there to give someone a blow. You're not going to be out there very long. So play as hard as you can for as long as you can.
2. Because you're a bench player, your leash is not as long as a starter's. Mess up, and Geno might sub you out during the next dead ball. So, as a sub, you're constantly thinking about not messing up.

As starters, they can play more relaxed, and just play (be aggressive/do things they may not do as a sub) and let the game come to them, knowing they are going to be out there the majority of the time, and they don't have to look over their shoulder, or worry about getting "yanked" if they mess up. We all know that Geno is not going to start you unless you have proved to him that you know what you're doing between the lines, and he trusts you. Like always, Geno and staff will have the girls ready to begin when the season, and tournament play begins. Who knows, we may have some unexpected surprises along the way, like one or two of the freshmen panning out/making the high school to college adjustment mid-season. It's gonna be a fun ride.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
550x309
Crystal looks much taller on crutches! :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't think she has an "off" hand. :rolleyes:
If you shoot right handed you do. It's (not easy but) easier to deal with a broken guide hand than your shooting hand.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Students at the Christine Dailey School of Fashion!
Clearly there was a sale on white UConn shirts and khaki's. Frankly if anyone were to bump into me you'd find me frequently dressed in white shirts and khaki shorts. I do however alternate between blue shorts and blue shirts; and I am NOT fashion challenged.

Reaction Score
Clearly there was a sale on white UConn shirts and khaki's. Frankly if anyone were to bump into me you'd find me frequently dressed in white shirts and khaki shorts. I do however alternate between blue shorts and blue shirts; and I am NOT fashion challenged.

Are-you-sure---meme-32356.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All of the injured players should be ready for training camp in October. Samuelson said she has been working on her outside shot and feels close to ready for full practice.

Dangerfield's injury will limit her until around the start of camp. She torn the labrum in her hip a year ago, but played with the injury throughout her senior year of high school.

She had an MRI on the hip after reporting to campus at the end of May and was told she needed surgery.

Collier said her hip has been bothering her for years and she tore the labrum in September, but played with the injury during her freshman season at UConn. She has been limited to water therapy and treadmill work, but will be practicing with her teammates in August.

UConn Women Pretty Banged Up; Geno Says He's Glad It's June, Not December

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Irwin has the least serious of the ailments.

She was fitted with a cast on Monday and hopes to be playing without a cast in about a month. The good news is that Irwin got to take part in pick-up games and individual workouts for 3 1/2 weeks before being injured in what she termed “a freak accident.”

“The timing is never perfect but if I had to pick a time, it would be now because it is not during the season,” said Irwin, who said the protective boot was more of a better safe than sorry situation rather than another injury to deal with.

UConn women have seen the injuries pile up in the offseason

Reaction Score
Wasn't Crystal supposed to be on crutches? Didn't she have surgery recently?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'll tell you, whenever I've broken my hand it took 4 weeks just to
remove the pins. I hope it's her off hand.
did your free throw percentage suffer?

Reaction Score
Janelle Francisco, a part of UConn’s athletic training department for the last seven years, has moved over from her duties working with the UConn baseball team to join the women’s basketball program.
“We have a lot of good people in our department,” Auriemma said. “Janelle was working with Jimmy Penders with the baseball program and been at UConn for a long time. She wanted to be involved with our program and made it known that if Rosemary went some place else, she’d love to do it.”
Janelle Francisco.png

JordyG

Reaction Score
did your free throw percentage suffer?
No. But after each my hand was numb for another month. It'll take a while for her regain a good feel for the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom