Yes, we are an elite progam. | The Boneyard

Yes, we are an elite progam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Are we an elite program?" may have been a relevant question in 1998, but later things happened that ended any speculation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO, there are elite, then there are truly elite. The truly elite are teams who are almost always ranked in the top 10, are one of the top teams in their league, and make the NCAA's every single year. I get that "it depends how far you go back", but teams like Duke, UNC, and Kentucky come to mind. And Maybe Kansas. if those teams are "1", i'd put teams like UCONN, Michigan State, etc. as 1-A. Maybe it goes back to the whole blue chip debate from a while ago. i'd certainly put us as one of the top 10 programs. but not sure i'd put us in the company of the truly elite...

Reaction Score
About the only fans who don't see UConn as elite, or don't wish to, are fans of UMass, PC, and BC.
Charming neighbors.

Reaction Score
About the only fans who don't see UConn as elite, or don't wish to, are fans of UMass, PC, and BC.
Charming neighbors.
St. Johns and Syracuse too.

Reaction Score
Charming neighbors.
Who...3 countries never heard from...LOL

Reaction Score
We are an elite program? Since when!?

Sarcasm off.

I think it's time to once again say, DUH WINNING!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So with all this elite banter going on, I decided to try to figure out how to define elite. For something like college basketball, there are two definitions that could be applied. From Dictionary.com:

( often used with a plural verb )
the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
Based on this definition, we're obviously elite. I suppose some might make the ludicrous argument that we haven't been ranked in the top 10 constantly for the last 15 years, but in terms of best, you have to think champions and we have more championships than anyone over that time. Hence, we are clearly elite by this definition.

a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group:
the power elite of a majorpolitical party.
Based on this definition, we're probably not elite. The only way to wield political power in the NCAA is through recruiting. To my mind, there are three programs who basically pick and choose their recruits out of the top 50 kids or so: UNC, Duke and UK. Nobody else really can be considered in the conversation. There are good recruiting schools. Cuse is probably better than us on this measure. Maybe several others. Do we come close to averaging a top 10 class over the last decade? Maybe close, but nothing like the top three.

So it really comes down to how you define elite. I don't really care who can get the best recruits every year if they can't turn them into teams that consistently win championships. I tend toward results instead of pretty recruiting classes. Based on that, we're in a group of three elite programs over the last 20 years. To argue differently is, well, you fill in the word of choice.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are an elite program? Since when!?

Sarcasm off.

I think it's time to once again say, DUH WINNING!

This reminded me of a song that I wanted to play for everyone that explains why we are truly, really, and utterly elite:

"I have one gear....'go'....epic winning. We're gonna win everywhere. Right every single wrong..."

Reaction Score
So with all this elite banter going on, I decided to try to figure out how to define elite. For something like college basketball, there are two definitions that could be applied. From Dictionary.com:

( often used with a plural verb )
the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
Based on this definition, we're obviously elite. I suppose some might make the ludicrous argument that we haven't been ranked in the top 10 constantly for the last 15 years, but in terms of best, you have to think champions and we have more championships than anyone over that time. Hence, we are clearly elite by this definition.

a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group:
the power elite of a majorpolitical party.
Based on this definition, we're probably not elite. The only way to wield political power in the NCAA is through recruiting. To my mind, there are three programs who basically pick and choose their recruits out of the top 50 kids or so: UNC, Duke and UK. Nobody else really can be considered in the conversation. There are good recruiting schools. Cuse is probably better than us on this measure. Maybe several others. Do we come close to averaging a top 10 class over the last decade? Maybe close, but nothing like the top three.

So it really comes down to how you define elite. I don't really care who can get the best recruits every year if they can't turn them into teams that consistently win championships. I tend toward results instead of pretty recruiting classes. Based on that, we're in a group of three elite programs over the last 20 years. To argue differently is, well, you fill in the word of choice.

Honest to God, this post makes me want to slash my wrists. You don't recruit to become elite. Recruiting is a means to an end. The end is winning. You become elite by winning, not by recruiting.

Honestly, what makes people elevate recruiting to the level of the damn sport itself.

Reaction Score
Pick how you would like to measure. It always comes out - elite.

The fact that you even felt compelled to start a thread stating the obvious frightens me.

Remember what Emerson said: "The more he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

Reaction Score
The fact that you even felt compelled to start a thread stating the obvious frightens me.

Remember what Emerson said: "The more he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

Sorry I frightened you. Come out from under the bed. I just get tired of seeing negative threads monopolize the board. Especially ones with idiotic premises.

Like I said, measure however you wish. My evaluation is simple. Three NCs in a dozen years.

Reaction Score
Sorry I frightened you. Come out from under the bed. I just get tired of seeing negative threads monopolize the board. Especially ones with idiotic premises.

L

So, in other words, your attitude on the hoops board is the polar opposite of your attitude on the pigskin board. Got it.

Reaction Score
"They have fans?"

Yeah very charming, Yonick.
Well, at least UConn doesn't need to post a "very charming" 50+ page hate thread, towards UConn, like those "lovely" folks at the UMass board do.
Again, Hari Khari would be a good option for you & most UMass fans. Huskymaniac will sharpen the Samauri sword especially for you!!!

Reaction Score
Well, at least UConn doesn't need to post a "very charming" 50+ page hate thread, towards UConn, like those "lovely" folks at the UMass board do.
Again, Hari Khari would be a good option for you & most UMass fans. Huskymaniac will sharpen the Samauri sword especially for you!!!
Nah, let them SUFFER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer