YES versus Comcast. Who blinks? | The Boneyard

YES versus Comcast. Who blinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's gotten to the point where CT legislators are writing ridiculously silly letters.

Comcast has about 900k subscribers in Yankee territory and they want to charge $5 a month. So it's worth about $55 million a year to the network at their price.

YES is already pushing people to switch carriers - I have not heard a single person say they have switched or plan on switching. Based on the media it feels like Comcast is winning.

You wouldn't think they wouldn't come to a deal - but you look at LA and it's inertia there.

Reaction Score
Comcast has been running spots claiming that YES wanted to charge 33% more as an explanation.

Reaction Score
I would say who cares listen to it on the radio...but then you'd have to listen to that sub-high school announcing team of Sterling & Waldman. The Yankees thanks to Randy Levine and Lonn Trost have forgot about who the Yankee fan base truly is.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would say who cares listen to it on the radio...but then you'd have to listen to that sub-high school announcing team of Sterling & Waldman. The Yankees thanks to Randy Levine and Lonn Trost have forgot about who the Yankee fan base truly is.
Grown up a Yankee fan and I'll be damned if I let my kid root for any other team... That said, I have Comcast, and there's no other game in town for high speed internet. Comcast wins. And I couldn't agree more on the cringeworthy duo of Sterling and Waldman. So it sucks not having a good way to catch games but I don't see any other appealing options.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is good for UConn. Doesn't Fox own part of Yes? If so, and Fox has an interest in the Big12, then Fox can use UCONN to leverage a good price for both a Big12 network and YES in not only FF County but also across CT.

Reaction Score
Shortly after I got Dish, they dropped SNY. This annoyed the sheet out of me and their customer service was callous about it. I paid the fee and dropped them. UVerse then paid most of the fee in the form of a gift card. I only watch about a dozen channels consistently, mostly sports. I would be one of the people that would drop a provider over losing a channel like SNY. YES? They'd be doing me a favor.

Reaction Score
Grown up a Yankee fan and I'll be damned if I let my kid root for any other team... That said, I have Comcast, and there's no other game in town for high speed internet. Comcast wins. And I couldn't agree more on the cringeworthy duo of Sterling and Waldman. So it sucks not having a good way to catch games but I don't see any other appealing options.

1) Split an MLB AtBat subscription with one or more other people and stream the games from a computer you hookup to your TV. (Multiple people can use it at once.) Cost: $20 to $50, depending on how many people you share it with.
2) Get an AVOV or Mag Android Box, purchase a Rocket or NFPS subscription, and YES is in there. (Service does go down from time to time, so I wouldn't use this as my primary TV sub) Cost: $100 for the box, $50 to $100 for the sub, but you'll get 800+ other channels in addition to YES
3) Install Kodi on your computer and use something like SportsDevil to stream the games. Cost: FREE

Reaction Score
New Playstation Vue that was announced (trialed in bigger Metro Areas) will have YES for our region. Might have to look at that option for my PS4. All the ESPNs, FS1 and FS2, BeinSport, Local Channels, the problem is they only give you one regional sport channel per region. Looks like the Hartford Region is YES. No SNY, No NESN (Maybe in other parts of CT).

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I'm getting into cord cutting territory here, but as I posted in the Courant article, go buy a Kodi box on Amazon for $50.00.
Every sport, tv show and movie can be viewed or streamed for free.

I have Comcast and love it but if I had to give it up I would be fine with said box above.
And as a Red Sox fan I'm happy as hell that I am not paying for Yes in my cable package.

Reaction Score
http://keepyesnetwork.com/
3.jpg

Reaction Score
1) Split an MLB AtBat subscription with one or more other people and stream the games from a computer you hookup to your TV. (Multiple people can use it at once.) Cost: $20 to $50, depending on how many people you share it with.
2) Get an AVOV or Mag Android Box, purchase a Rocket or NFPS subscription, and YES is in there. (Service does go down from time to time, so I wouldn't use this as my primary TV sub) Cost: $100 for the box, $50 to $100 for the sub, but you'll get 800+ other channels in addition to YES
3) Install Kodi on your computer and use something like SportsDevil to stream the games. Cost: FREE
I have an android box with Kodi. Great for movies but sheet for sports. Lagging and poor streams. Plus if you have a 4k TV you will be less than thrilled with picture quality.

If it wasn't for sports I'd cut the cord completely. Live sports suck on sheet you streams.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I always laugh at the pretend drama. It is a negotiation - they need each other - so the deal will get done eventually. Just a matter of price.

I always root for the cable company, naively, thinking the monopoly will pass savings to me, the consumer.

After opening day, you can wait until Memorial Day to pay attention to MLB.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Yankees thanks to Randy Levine and Lonn Trost have forgot about who the Yankee fan base truly is.
So are all the seats padded or just the empty ones behind home plate?;)

Reaction Score
Yes is 80% owned by Fox. Direct TV I believe is owned by Fox. When Yes starting running the ads telling Yes customers to switch from Comcast, something clicked in my head, namely that Yes and Fox are creating a situation where they hope viewers will drop Comcast and pick up Fox owned Direct TV before a settlement is presumably reached sometime during the baseball season.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is just about dollars and who owns who. Comcast owns a number of Sports networks though out the country.

I don't think this gets done before the first game of the season and by then it might end up going the entire season without Yankee baseball for Comcast customers.
I am saying this as a member of the state Cable Advisory Board.

Reaction Score

Sterling is one of the worst baseball announcers I've ever listened to. And to think he took over from Hank Greenwald and Tommy Hutton, an announcing team that I thought was quite good.

Reaction Score
Sterling is one of the worst baseball announcers I've ever listened to. And to think he took over from Hank Greenwald and Tommy Hutton, an announcing team that I thought was quite good.
And Waldman is so bad makes Sterling sound like Mel Allen. He ran off Charlie Steiner to LA and the Dodgers because Charlie made people realize how bad Sterling sucks. It is an absolute shame that these 2 are allowed to call major league games.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I've said it earlier in this thread, buy one of these Kodi boxes and you don't have to worry about what's available on your cable system.
The whole world is streamed and picked up by boxes like this.

This is the link to the one I have.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've said it earlier in this thread, buy one of these Kodi boxes and you don't have to worry about what's available on your cable system.
The whole world is streamed and picked up by boxes like this.

This is the link to the one I have.

I downloaded the windows version. I guess I'm missing what it does?

There are a few hundred add ons for things nobody would want to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom