YES Ratings | The Boneyard

YES Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No Jeter, no Tex, no Grandy Candy, no A-Roid, maybe the players do matter for fan interest, but also had 4 bball and hockey teams making runs and getting to playoffs, so tough comparisons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No Jeter, no Tex, no Grandy Candy, no A-Roid, maybe the players do matter for fan interest, but also had 4 bball and hockey teams making runs and getting to playoffs, so tough comparisons.

The ratings are down 56% in the most important demo. 56%.

As much as I'm loathe to admit TDH has some valid points with respect to the entertainment aspects of UConn sports.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You nailed it. April/May Yankees ratings versus playoff Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, etc., coupled with the fact that the most recognizable players for the Yanks right now are on the DL. No mystery here in my opinion...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You nailed it. April/May Yankees ratings versus playoff Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, etc., coupled with the fact that the most recognizable players for the Yanks right now are on the DL. No mystery here in my opinion...

Nobody is saying there is a mystery. That stuff is in the original article. The point is that even if you 'win' you can still lose more than half of your already declining viewership. This is an organization where their fans claim to be extremely 'die-hard'.

It's just further evidence of what UConn saw. Go to BCS bowl - falling attendance. Win 2011 NC - crickets most nights next regular season.

We often talk about winning curing all ills (me included). Here is some more evidence that it doesn't.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Nobody is saying there is a mystery. That stuff is in the original article. The point is that even if you 'win' you can still lose more than half of your already declining viewership. This is an organization where their fans claim to be extremely 'die-hard'.

It's just further evidence of what UConn saw. Go to BCS bowl - falling attendance. Win 2011 NC - crickets most nights next regular season.

We often talk about winning curing all ills (me included). Here is some more evidence that it doesn't.

What I'm saying is that this isn't evidence of your statement. You are drawing one conclusion based on this data; that winning doesn't solve ratings. Another conclusion (which Husky91 has pointed to) points to the winning of other teams taking the interest and ratings from the first team. It has been a very long time since the Knicks or Rangers captivated the Big Apple. The fact that they are both poised to do so in the same year is also a compelling argument that winning DOES cure all ills.

It doesn't mean you're wrong. It means that there are multiple explanations for the data...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that this isn't evidence of your statement. You are drawing one conclusion based on this data; that winning doesn't solve ratings. Another conclusion (which Husky91 has pointed to) points to the winning of other teams taking the interest and ratings from the first team. It has been a very long time since the Knicks or Rangers captivated the Big Apple. The fact that they are both poised to do so in the same year is also a compelling argument that winning DOES cure all ills.

It doesn't mean you're wrong. It means that there are multiple explanations for the data...

Sure you can wave your hand at it....

They are winning and lost more than half their viewers year over year.

Still in first place and lost 50+% of the viewers.

What would be your excuse if UConn's ratings cratered like that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Personally, I would blame P.

Unless, of course, he'd already been fired - in that instance, I would blame Edsall.

But as for the Yankees, the posters above nailed it.

Reaction Score
UConn football will still grow, I think. Low-budget UConn football jerseys are definitely getting around. Saw a cashier wearing a cheap jersey at a supermarket in southern CT and she doesn't even care for UConn football.

Reaction Score

the yankees have been winning for a long time. the difference here is that the marquee players are hurt, no big off season movements, and the first time in years the yankees arent contenders. yes, the yankees are better than where people thought thy'd be, but not enough to grab attention from the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Sure you can wave your hand at it....

They are winning and lost more than half their viewers year over year.

Still in first place and lost 50+% of the viewers.

What would be your excuse if UConn's ratings cratered like that?
tell you what... lets win a nc first, then talk about the ratings.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
the yankees have been winning for a long time. the difference here is that the marquee players are hurt, no big off season movements, and the first time in years the yankees arent contenders. yes, the yankees are better than where people thought thy'd be, but not enough to grab attention from the playoffs.

I don't think posters are getting the numbers. They lost more than half of their viewers even while they win.

A self proclaimed diehard fanbase has disappeared while they still kept winning.

We keep saying UConn just needs to win? Well I can tell you they drew better in the early to mid 90s before they 'won'.

It's not as simple as winning.

Reaction Score
With respect to the Yankees, I was amazed, sitting in the Stadium last October, that the Yanks could not sell out their playoff games. Yes, the weather wasn't so good and it was school nights, but they are excuses. This wasn't a little undersold either, I thought maybe there was approximately 10,000 seats that weren't filled. The Yanks miserable October hitting performance didn't help either. So the Yes ratings don't surprise me all that much.

The 2012 Yanks were not a likable team and Girardi is not an overly popular manager. Fans are really turned off by ARod and his contract has become an albatross for the team. Ticket prices are extremely high. Everything to eat and drink at the stadium starts at $11 it seems. On TV, the Diamond Club seats are always half empty, giving the appearance on TV that support for the team is lackluster, even though the rest of the Stadium may be more jammed.

So, even though the Yanks are "winning", and oh BTW this years team without ARod is thoroughly more likable, there seems to be a malaise in Yankeeland apart from them still putting a good team on the field. In addition to winning , fans do need to support and identify with the players and coaches to some degree.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think posters are getting the numbers. They lost more than half of their viewers even while they win.

A self proclaimed diehard fanbase has disappeared while they still kept winning.

We keep saying UConn just needs to win? Well I can tell you they drew better in the early to mid 90s before they 'won'.

To me you would need to balance the lower Yankees ratings and check that against playoff game ratings by the Knicks and Rangers.

In other words see if the loss of Yankee viewers corresponds to an increase in Knicks or Rangers viewers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To me you would need to balance the lower Yankees ratings and check that against playoff game ratings by the Knicks and Rangers.

In other words see if the loss of Yankee viewers corresponds to an increase in Knicks or Rangers viewers.

The Rangers were in the playoff last year, maybe just not at the exact same time.

Sure some are watching the other locals - but if one of the biggest fanbases in one of the best baseball cities in the world can lose 60% of their ratings while they are still winning... That is a pretty interesting development and shows how much risk there is in huge television contracts.

Reaction Score

i just don't believe that the Yankees are a comparable entity to the Huskies... Yankees have won 27 World Series and a million AL pennants. Their fans expect nothing less. Up until this year, the Yankees have been front and center regarding player transacations in the offseason. And they have always been a contender because of their line-up.

This year is different. No offseason transactions. Their top players are hurt. And, for the first time in 15 years, the Yankees are not even a lock for the wildcard. It's not hard to see why the fans (myself included in that demographic) are not watching the Yankees. Attendance is down as well. It's also May 10th. Let's see if this is a story in August/September...

I just don't think you can take the Yankees situation and suggest that winning won't help Uconn. It will. Winning will get Uconn in the national discussion and that's what fans want. Playing top ranked teams will help. Beating them will be even better. Uconn ranked in the top 25 will be huge. HUGE!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Couple of things, winning is not going to get us out of this conference. Having an AD as forceful as Luck or Jurich might have, but when needed we didn't have that and now the music appears to have stopped. Now we might just have to hope we get lucky and our name gets pulled out of a hat.

UCONN drew better in the mid 90s, because the economy was better, and they were only starting to push the casual fan further from the court. I graduated HS, in 94. They had those three game mini plans, which I could afford at the time. After a couple of years those seats were so high up it wasn't worth going to. In a better arena maybe, but at civic center the nosebleeds are horrendous. It always broke my heart when I went to a UCONN basketball game and saw all the empty seats down low that were probably sold in advance to some corporation who made sizeable donation, but then didn't put the seats to use. I know the school is trying to squeeze every dollar it can but it killed the atmosphere at the games. I remember the civic center rocking when we blew out Maryland during the Big East ACC challenge during the dream season, before anyone expected that team to be good. I also wonder if some people got turned off by Calhoun as he got real crotchety toward the end.

TV ratings for UCONN were up I thought?

Reaction Score
Couple of things, winning is not going to get us out of this conference. Having an AD as forceful as Luck or Jurich might have, but when needed we didn't have that and now the music appears to have stopped. Now we might just have to hope we get lucky and our name gets pulled out of a hat.

UCONN drew better in the mid 90s, because the economy was better, and they were only starting to push the casual fan further from the court. I graduated HS, in 94. They had those three game mini plans, which I could afford at the time. After a couple of years those seats were so high up it wasn't worth going to. In a better arena maybe, but at civic center the nosebleeds are horrendous. It always broke my heart when I went to a UCONN basketball game and saw all the empty seats down low that were probably sold in advance to some corporation who made sizeable donation, but then didn't put the seats to use. I know the school is trying to squeeze every dollar it can but it killed the atmosphere at the games. I remember the civic center rocking when we blew out Maryland during the Big East ACC challenge during the dream season, before anyone expected that team to be good. I also wonder if some people got turned off by Calhoun as he got real crotchety toward the end.

TV ratings for UCONN were up I thought?
Can't see how winning will help? Try going 0-12 or 1-11 and see where that gets the program.

Reaction Score
Whaler brings up a good point. Mens bball came off a national title year, and the xl the following year was less than sold out and raucous most nights. If we have to go 10-2, 11-1, to gain fan interest we're assed out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler brings up a good point. Mens bball came off a national title year, and the xl the following year was less than sold out and raucous most nights. If we have to go 10-2, 11-1, to gain fan interest we're assed out.

It's just clear it takes more than just winning and bigger brands provide some evidence.

Reaction Score
Look I know this board loves to wallow in misery because of conference realignment garbage but the lies and exaggerations that go on here are ridiculous. Now the ratings for the Yankees are lower. And this gets spun into what relating to UConn? What does this have to do with us being the only school left out in conference expansion? Apparently something because it was posted. Does this also prove something about Rutgers? I mean their entire value is based on the NY market interest in sports. It's really easy to say that our fan base is not as "rabid" as it was in the mid 1990's. It's also a cheap shot which has strangely been par to the norm for certain posters on our board during this mess of a situation.

Obviously when something is new and you are experiencing something for the first time it is going to seem like there is more intensity present. And in the 1990's there was obviously extreme intensity. The highest. This shouldn't be a surprise seeing you know...we we're experiencing something for the first time. Not only that it was being done during the glory hey days of the 1990's and the greatest economic period in recent memory. Obviously it's relevant to compare this period to 15-20 years of sustained success which leads to some spoiled fans occurring in one of the worst economic periods in recent memories. Oh wait. No it's not.

To suggest that intensity has completely gone away is a total misrepresentation of the situation. I was at the 1996 BET title game and the 2011 one. I can tell you both crowds were equal in intensity with MSG packed with UConn fans. It was stated repeatedly in this thread that the 2012 team couldn't draw crowds or sell out even after winning a national title. Took me 5 minutes to look up the numbers from 2012 to show that is a bold faced lie.

2012 Men's BBall Sellouts

Columbia- Gampel- 10,167
Harvard
Cincinnati
Syracuse
DePaul
Pitt

St. John's- HCC- 16,294
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Marquette

Other games
West Virginia- 15,808
Arkansas- 14,333
Fairfield- 13,821
Coppin State- 11,397
Wagner- 9217
Maine- 10,726

Every Big East men's home game sold out besides one (and that missed by 400 fans). You take that one out and every game that didn't sell out were early season December games ranging from un ranked competition to mid major cupcakes. That is par for the course everywhere in college basketball. Replace a Coppin State with a Michigan State or a Maine with a Florida (which Calhoun should have been doing more of quite frankly) and ya think the crowd would be better? These early season cupcakes games have been light draws increasingly in recent years all over the country and UConn has consistently been the national power with the worst early season non conference home matchups. But hey, this is the conference realignment board. Why let facts get in the way. Gotta use self defeating emotion. I'll step back now and let the usual suspects continue to push whatever agendas they are pushing. The whole Yankee ratings are low so UConn got what we deserved while also suggesting we don't have any intensity left to our fan base when we do is a new low even for this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look I know this board loves to wallow in misery because of conference realignment garbage but the lies and exaggerations that go on here are ridiculous. Now the ratings for the Yankees are lower. And this gets spun into what relating to UConn? What does this have to do with us being the only school left out in conference expansion? Apparently something because it was posted. Does this also prove something about Rutgers? I mean their entire value is based on the NY market interest in sports. It's really easy to say that our fan base is not as "rabid" as it was in the mid 1990's. It's also a cheap shot which has strangely been par to the norm for certain posters on our board during this mess of a situation.

Obviously when something is new and you are experiencing something for the first time it is going to seem like there is more intensity present. And in the 1990's there was obviously extreme intensity. The highest. This shouldn't be a surprise seeing you know...we we're experiencing something for the first time. Not only that it was being done during the glory hey days of the 1990's and the greatest economic period in recent memory. Obviously it's relevant to compare this period to 15-20 years of sustained success which leads to some spoiled fans occurring in one of the worst economic periods in recent memories. Oh wait. No it's not.

To suggest that intensity has completely gone away is a total misrepresentation of the situation. I was at the 1996 BET title game and the 2011 one. I can tell you both crowds were equal in intensity with MSG packed with UConn fans. It was stated repeatedly in this thread that the 2012 team couldn't draw crowds or sell out even after winning a national title. Took me 5 minutes to look up the numbers from 2012 to show that is a bold faced lie.

2012 Men's BBall Sellouts

Columbia- Gampel- 10,167
Harvard
Cincinnati
Syracuse
DePaul
Pitt

St. John's- HCC- 16,294
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Marquette

Other games
West Virginia- 15,808
Arkansas- 14,333
Fairfield- 13,821
Coppin State- 11,397
Wagner- 9217
Maine- 10,726

Every Big East men's home game sold out besides one (and that missed by 400 fans). You take that one out and every game that didn't sell out were early season December games ranging from un ranked competition to mid major cupcakes. That is par for the course everywhere in college basketball. Replace a Coppin State with a Michigan State or a Maine with a Florida (which Calhoun should have been doing more of quite frankly) and ya think the crowd would be better? These early season cupcakes games have been light draws increasingly in recent years all over the country and UConn has consistently been the national power with the worst early season non conference home matchups. But hey, this is the conference realignment board. Why let facts get in the way. Gotta use self defeating emotion. I'll step back now and let the usual suspects continue to push whatever agendas they are pushing. The whole Yankee ratings are low so UConn got what we deserved while also suggesting we don't have any intensity left to our fan base when we do is a new low even for this board.

? There is nothing self-defeating about the thread.

The Yankees have half as many people watching them on TV as they did 2 years ago even though they are in first place. We've often talked about winning curing all ills (me included). It's just some evidence that ratings and attendance are more complicated than just winning.

Your chart provides some evidence as well. Just winning doesn't get people out for lesser opponents. So UConn can't just assume if the basketball team wins the attendance will be there - they need to give people a reason to get in their cars and show up. They can't rely on the conference schedule drawing big crowds while they sit on their hands.

If you think this fan base has as much juice as it did 20 years ago you must not have been around then. If you think they capitalized on Rentschler and joining FBS then you have your head in the sand.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know this thread was started based on YES ratings, etc. However, hasn't attendance at ALL stadiums, in ALL leagues and sports dipped in the past few years? With the onset of TV and HD TV, there's less of a reason to go to games. Especially with the huge increase in ticket costs, food, drinks, etc... Now, this doesn't totally help the argument because you'd think viewership would be up on YES because people aren't going to games. I think the posts about many different things being on right now is a major part of this. If the ratings are lower during the summer, when it's baseball only and no other sports going on, then there's a larger issue here. (I didn't read the article but from the posts it seems like it just discusses the ratings up to this point of the season?)

I don't know what the answer is here. I think UConn will have a major issue on their hands if they remain in the AAC (I refuse to call it The American) for a long period of time and don't adjust their ticket prices accordingly. Reality is, we are playing lower profile schools than we had been playing in the Big East. While we had no real connections to the programs in the Big East when we entered, we knew the schools due to bball and they were close enough to go to away games. Now we're looking at a schedule of programs we have ZERO history with (Temple and Cincy/USF excluded) and the schools are far away. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom