Yard Goats Are Getting The State's Glory... And Money | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yard Goats Are Getting The State's Glory... And Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's all well and good, but it was also a vital part of NB'S economy for a long long time the organization and the city built a long and stable relationship.

I'm all for boosting the Capitol and urban centers, but this was not the way to go about it and the use of public funds was doubly inappropriate.

We just have to agree to disagree. I think stadiums such as this are more appropriate in urban areas where surrounding businesses can benefit instead of quiet corners of town removed from commercial development. I also think its great that CT's AA MLB affiliate will be playing in a state of the art stadium in the capital of the state. I hope NB's new team works out for them. Minor league clubs don't build stadiums with their own money and neither do most major league ones, we may not like it but its reality. It's the only way to get a sports team nowadays.

Reaction Score
We just have to agree to disagree. I think stadiums such as this are more appropriate in urban areas where surrounding businesses can benefit instead of quiet corners of town removed from commercial development. I also think its great that CT's AA MLB affiliate will be playing in a state of the art stadium in the capital of the state. I hope NB's new team works out for them. Minor league clubs don't build stadiums with their own money and neither do most major league ones, we may not like it but its reality. It's the only way to get a sports team nowadays.

But did we really need a minor league affiliate? I don't think we did - I'll never go to a game and I don't know anyone else that plans to.

Reaction Score
But did we really need a minor league affiliate? I don't think we did - I'll never go to a game and I don't know anyone else that plans to.

I'll go. My old man's getting season tickets. A lot of people in my office plan to go to some games. The state already had a AA team and personally I think this is a better location for them. People from east of the river and north of Hartford weren't going to NB. It's just another option for those of us who are interested and an anchor for a major and much needed development.

Reaction Score
I wish it was a AAA park instead of AA. Luccihino(Red Sox) would be way better at development around the park than this centerplan/DoNo. I mean we already got DD as a major sponsor and the Red Sox and DD have a relationship. Maybe in the future.

Reaction Score
The team in New Britain is going to be fine. The Bluefish are #17 out of 44 independent league teams in attendance. New Britain should easily be higher. The Atlantic League draws well.

2015 Independent Attendance by Average

Agreed on AAA. Getting the Paw Sox to Hartford is going to be hard to accomplish. Pawtucket's stadium does suck, so we have that going for us.

Mets and Yankees don't have AAA teams nearby. But still hard to relocate a AAA team.

Reaction Score
6k ain't enough so it would have to be expanded. I remember Jacobs asked about expansion to AAA and he was told No by the same guy that gave millions to that Felon for Dillon. Forgot his name, but he got fired by bronin. Him and Solomon were in kahoots and Solomon only has an affiliate agreement with Rockies for 1-2 years so maybe something can happen if providence/Pawtucket doesn't work out. An actual sox/yanks AAA rivalry in Hartford would be sweet.

Reaction Score
You guys /gals should all go support the Danbury Westerners this summer. Hint, hint.

Reaction Score
You guys /gals should all go support the Danbury Westerners this summer. Hint, hint.
The Danbury FHL team's attendance dropped from 1648 a game in 2014-15 to 743 in 2015-16, just because they went from the Whalers to the Titans.

Reaction Score
6k ain't enough so it would have to be expanded. I remember Jacobs asked about expansion to AAA and he was told No by the same guy that gave millions to that Felon for Dillon. Forgot his name, but he got fired by bronin. Him and Solomon were in kahoots and Solomon only has an affiliate agreement with Rockies for 1-2 years so maybe something can happen if providence/Pawtucket doesn't work out. An actual sox/yanks AAA rivalry in Hartford would be sweet.

It seats over 9,000. 6,000 chair backs, 3,000 more through suites, picnic seating, standing room etc.

Reaction Score
Connecticut picked the wrong stock.

Minor League baseball in Hartford. Come on. Baseball is a slow and dying game.

Soccer is the stock to buy right now. Look at the soccer only stadiums being built. They are beautiful and full of passionate fans. MLS should have been the goal, not baseball.

Not sure on the dimensions of the field, but a few NASL and USL teams share stadiums with minor league baseball, a few others have taken over stadiums for now defunct baseball teams. That might be another way to get more use out of that money pit.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wish it was a AAA park instead of AA. Luccihino(Red Sox) would be way better at development around the park than this centerplan/DoNo.

Yeah, their project in Providence is going swimmingly...

Reaction Score
Hartford would be wise to jump on the Paw Sox. Can we just call them something other than the Red Sox? Like the Yard Goats??

Reaction Score
Yeah, their project in Providence is going swimmingly...

Yea, but luccichino wanted providence to pay nearly all of it. There was land issues and such. Hartford already is paying for DD park. All he has to do is swoop in and bam, free ball park.

Reaction Score
People were complaining about the Yard Goats moniker?

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer
rubin_adam_m.jpg

The Double-A Binghamton Mets will rebrand themselves next season, dropping "Mets" as their nickname. The organization identified six finalists for the new name on Tuesday. Those are: Bullheads, Gobblers, Rocking Horses, Rumble Ponies, Stud Muffins and Timber Jockeys.

Reaction Score
People were complaining about the Yard Goats moniker?

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer
rubin_adam_m.jpg

The Double-A Binghamton Mets will rebrand themselves next season, dropping "Mets" as their nickname. The organization identified six finalists for the new name on Tuesday. Those are: Bullheads, Gobblers, Rocking Horses, Rumble Ponies, Stud Muffins and Timber Jockeys.

UPDATE: The team has selected "Gobblers" as its new name, and will be relocating to Johnson Vermont. Henceforth, the team is to be referred to as the Johnson Gobblers.

Reaction Score
It seats over 9,000. 6,000 chair backs, 3,000 more through suites, picnic seating, standing room etc.
I could be wrong, and probably am, but when news first broke about Hartford building a stadium, I thought the original scheme they "sold" was a 9,000 seat AAA worthy facility. Then after the project was approved it some how was scaled down to 6,000 and AA.

Reaction Score
Eh, he's kind of right, but this is much more on the city than on the developer. You can't be submitting huge change orders after the deadline and then complain that they missed the deadline. The town screwed this up from the start, and if we're being really honest, there are people who should probably be prosecuted. Hartford is going to be defending itself in a lawsuit shortly, and it's definitely going to lose. Luke Bronin was the worst possible mayor to oversee this because he's such an arrogant, petty jerk.

Reaction Score
Eh, he's kind of right, but this is much more on the city than on the developer. You can't be submitting huge change orders after the deadline and then complain that they missed the deadline. The town screwed this up from the start, and if we're being really honest, there are people who should probably be prosecuted. Hartford is going to be defending itself in a lawsuit shortly, and it's definitely going to lose. Luke Bronin was the worst possible mayor to oversee this because he's such an arrogant, petty jerk.
Jacobs completely nailed it. Everyone involved here is at fault, the city, the developer, and everyone who allowed this to happen as it did. How does anyone think an XL renovation, Rentschler expansion, or new hockey arena will get any support from the public after this fiasco? The public rightfully has absolutely no confidence in the city and state to get any of these projects done correctly. This ballpark has been an absolute disaster that served little purpose beyond a way for Hartford politicians to pat themselves on the back that they did something to "revitalize" the city without actually putting in place a realistic plan that actually would revitalize the city.

Reaction Score
Connecticut picked the wrong stock.

Minor League baseball in Hartford. Come on. Baseball is a slow and dying game.

Soccer is the stock to buy right now. Look at the soccer only stadiums being built. They are beautiful and full of passionate fans. MLS should have been the goal, not baseball.
Ever tried to watch a soccer game on tv? Or even in person? Paint drying is more exciting. World soccer fans like it because they were brought up on it and don't know better. Actually the World Cup is watchable. Sometimes. Just because fans showed for an occasional exhibition game means nothing. Minor league baseball is a beautiful sport with tons of things specifically for kids to enjoy besides the game. And at a reasonable price unlike MLB. Do kids go out on the field every half hour in MLS OR MLB? No. I hope both the Goats and the Bees both do well in greater Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom