Yard Goats Are Getting The State's Glory... And Money | The Boneyard

Yard Goats Are Getting The State's Glory... And Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yard Goats are getting the state's glory ... and money

"Has there ever been a minor league baseball franchise that has received more publicity than the Yard Goats? Gloryoski. The eccentric mascot and not-yet-finished stadium whose cup has already runneth over make for good storylines, sure. But it's minor league baseball. Note the word "minor."

Media gushing, an absurdly expensive stadium and unwillingness from politicians to address far more serious issues to the future of Connecticut sports underscore the dizzying levels to which our priorities need realignment.

To wit: UConn sports, the flagship sporting endeavor in Connecticut, play basketball and hockey in a decaying XL Center. Football plays in a concrete slab 20 miles from campus. But a minor league baseball franchise, with a perfectly acceptable 6,000-seat minor league stadium 15 miles south in New Britain, gets a shiny new ballpark, even if it feels as though it won't be ready until Bastille Day.

Hello?

Is this thing on?"

Reaction Score
I like the Rent and don't give a hoot what DiMauro thinks. Gampel is being renovated. Hockey is getting their own arena on campus, aren't they? And we're working on what to do with the XL Center. It's actively being discussed.

I know your job is to complain about stuff, but geez.

Reaction Score
Yard Goats are getting the state's glory ... and money

"Has there ever been a minor league baseball franchise that has received more publicity than the Yard Goats? Gloryoski. The eccentric mascot and not-yet-finished stadium whose cup has already runneth over make for good storylines, sure. But it's minor league baseball. Note the word "minor."

Media gushing, an absurdly expensive stadium and unwillingness from politicians to address far more serious issues to the future of Connecticut sports underscore the dizzying levels to which our priorities need realignment.

To wit: UConn sports, the flagship sporting endeavor in Connecticut, play basketball and hockey in a decaying XL Center. Football plays in a concrete slab 20 miles from campus. But a minor league baseball franchise, with a perfectly acceptable 6,000-seat minor league stadium 15 miles south in New Britain, gets a shiny new ballpark, even if it feels as though it won't be ready until Bastille Day.

Hello?

Is this thing on?"

Let's all go to the game that day!

Bastille1.jpg

Reaction Score
I like the Rent and don't give a hoot what DiMauro thinks. Gampel is being renovated. Hockey is getting their own arena on campus, aren't they? And we're working on what to do with the XL Center. It's actively being discussed.

I know your job is to complain about stuff, but geez.
I think he's trying to hype up the WNBA Sun.

Reaction Score
One of the things I've heard B12 administrators mention in the search is a campus stadium.

Look around at UConn's competition.

DiMauro is finally right on something.

Reaction Score
One of the things I've heard B12 administrators mention in the search is a campus stadium.
B12 Administrators and not media? Have an example? Admittedly could have missed it.

Reaction Score
B12 Administrators and not media? Have an example?

I read this last week. I don't remember where because I'm remembering a million things. It was in reference to Memphis, they quoted someone in the B12.

Look it could be worse. They are spending $65m to build high school football stadium in Texas for 12k.

Reaction Score
I read this last week. I don't remember where because I'm remembering a million things. It was in reference to Memphis, they quoted someone in the B12.

Look it could be worse. They are spending $65m to build high school football stadium in Texas for 12k.

It is worse, we're spending $65m for 6k

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Cue up the on-campus stadium debate...

FWIW, I'd love to have an on campus stadium (but, but, traffic...Mansfield NIMBYs, ...traffic...driving distance from FFC...) but I love the Rent. It is a really great place to watch a game.

If any P5 conference wants us to expand, we will, and not at great cost, since the stadium was built with expansion in mind. It's a non-issue.

Reaction Score
Connecticut picked the wrong stock.

Minor League baseball in Hartford. Come on. Baseball is a slow and dying game.

Soccer is the stock to buy right now. Look at the soccer only stadiums being built. They are beautiful and full of passionate fans. MLS should have been the goal, not baseball.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wasn't the stadium funded by the city? The XL and Rent are owned by the state, No? Am I missing something?
Correct. Dimauro is arguing that by allowing the City of Hartford to collect and keep an admissions tax to help pay for the ballpark, it will negatively effect the XL getting and keeping concerts and other events. Why? Because the XL used to have to collect the admission tax for the state, and was losing business to the Mohegan Sun, which doesn't charge the admission tax. So the state waived the admission tax requirement on XL center events, which allows it to now thrive. Or something. It's another angle on criticizing the idiocy of dumping $ into a minor league baseball stadium nobody was asking for, even though it isn't state $ and has no real relation to whether Malloy will fund a refurbished XL or a replacement.

Reaction Score
^^^. Just because the ballpark might keep the admission tax, that doesn't mean the XL will now start charging the tax will it? Is it because it's in the same city? I don't know exactly how the admission tax works, but if a city funded property in Hartford charges the tax and keeps the tax to pay for it, I don't see how the state owned XL will have to do it also

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He's not wrong about misallocation of resources here. **Disclaimer: the following post is NOT meant to begin a cesspool discussion. I have no interest in debating state politics, spending, or anything else that belongs in the cesspool.** The state is currently mired in yet another budget crisis and part (probably most) of the blame is the needless spending on things like a minor league stadium. If the state were to elect to fund sporting venue upgrades or new construction, you would think that it would be in UConn. UConn games, especially football in a P5 conference, increase tourist traffic to the state. Nobody is going to fly in from Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas for a Yard Goats game. But you wait and see how much burnt orange can be seen in the state during the week of Texas at UConn football. If the state allocated the same money spent on this ballpark towards really expanding and renovating the Rent into a first-class off-campus stadium, then that would be a HUGE asset in UConn's B12 push. Then you throw up some hotels around the Rent for our out of state visitors and make the money back in tourism money over the years of playing big-time football (again).

More pressing - the XL Center is an absolute dump. Putting the money into a new arena or renovating this one would give our TWO world class hoops programs a venue that is deserving to call itself home to them. At the very, very least, a Gampel cleanup would have cost the state pennies on the Dunkin Donuts Ballpark dollar and would have the same effect as a new/improved XL Center. Renovations at either arena would focus on improving gameday atmosphere while enhancing TV coverage.

I understand that the state has already supported UConn in the BILLIONS in recent years for its massive research expansion. But c'mon. The money they spent on this ballpark came out of some sort of sports/entertainment fund. It is very odd that they would choose to spend it on a minor league baseball stadium when one exists 15 minutes away (and another one exits 45 minutes away and another exists 1 hour away...). If they had money to spend on sports venues, UConn should have been the choice. Pick either - a renovated and expanded Rent or a new or improved XL for our hoops and hockey programs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He's not wrong about misallocation of resources here. **Disclaimer: the following post is NOT meant to begin a cesspool discussion. I have no interest in debating state politics, spending, or anything else that belongs in the cesspool.** The state is currently mired in yet another budget crisis and part (probably most) of the blame is the needless spending on things like a minor league stadium. If the state were to elect to fund sporting venue upgrades or new construction, you would think that it would be in UConn. UConn games, especially football in a P5 conference, increase tourist traffic to the state. Nobody is going to fly in from Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas for a Yard Goats game. But you wait and see how much burnt orange can be seen in the state during the week of Texas at UConn football. If the state allocated the same money spent on this ballpark towards really expanding and renovating the Rent into a first-class off-campus stadium, then that would be a HUGE asset in UConn's B12 push. Then you throw up some hotels around the Rent for our out of state visitors and make the money back in tourism money over the years of playing big-time football (again).

More pressing - the XL Center is an absolute dump. Putting the money into a new arena or renovating this one would give our TWO world class hoops programs a venue that is deserving to call itself home to them. At the very, very least, a Gampel cleanup would have cost the state pennies on the Dunkin Donuts Ballpark dollar and would have the same effect as a new/improved XL Center. Renovations at either arena would focus on improving gameday atmosphere while enhancing TV coverage.

I understand that the state has already supported UConn in the BILLIONS in recent years for its massive research expansion. But c'mon. The money they spent on this ballpark came out of some sort of sports/entertainment fund. It is very odd that they would choose to spend it on a minor league baseball stadium when one exists 15 minutes away (and another one exits 45 minutes away and another exists 1 hour away...). If they had money to spend on sports venues, UConn should have been the choice. Pick either - a renovated and expanded Rent or a new or improved XL for our hoops and hockey programs.
Except the City of Hartford bonded the cost of the ballpark with no state assistance. The state isn't choosing one or the other here. Dimauro is arguing, sort of, that allowing the city to keep the admission tax that should be going to the state, those funds are not available to potentially spend on the XL or elsewhere. And that the XL may have to once again start charging the admission tax, although how he arrives at that conclusion is vague.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Except the City of Hartford bonded the cost of the ballpark with no state assistance. The state isn't choosing one or the other here. Dimauro is arguing, sort of, that allowing the city to keep the admission tax that should be going to the state, those funds are not available to potentially spend on the XL or elsewhere. And that the XL may have to once again start charging the admission tax, although how he arrives at that conclusion is vague.

Oh, well then, I completely missed the point. Ha! :)

Reaction Score
Article isn't wrong, the minor league ballpark fiasco when there are far more pressing sports infrastructure issues underscores how those in the state government only care to make Hartford appear better and not about improving UConn's stature. Minor league baseball is a money hole that goes nowhere.

Reaction Score
Article isn't wrong, the minor league ballpark fiasco when there are far more pressing sports infrastructure issues underscores how those in the state government only care to make Hartford appear better and not about improving UConn's stature. Minor league baseball is a money hole that goes nowhere.

The ballpark had nothing to do with state government and everything to do with city government. Pedro is to blame and now he's probably in Miami or PR now with bronin to mop up his mess. Pedro/city council also killed NASL soccer potential too by hiring a felon.

Reaction Score
Soccer is the stock to buy right now. Look at the soccer only stadiums being built. They are beautiful and full of passionate fans.
Uyup, maybe Hartford should have puts its' eggs in a minor league soccer team and stadium. What could possibly go wrong in Hartford? ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah, but take a look at this. Love to see the Huskies play a few games here.

CiC6xi_WwAAZPb5.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah, but take a look at this. Love to see the Huskies play a few games here.

View attachment 13658

They were supposed to this year but the delays postponed it. I'd love to watch them at DD Park. I rarely go up to Storrs but would love to watch them if they played some games in Hartford just like basketball and hockey does. I think that help them grow more of a following.

Reaction Score

Can anyone clear up for me the nature of state support for UConn over the last 15 years? Did the state actually put up a couple of billion or just allow UConn to borrow a couple of billion. I was always under the impression it was the later. To some it may seem a distinction without a difference but in my mind it makes a big difference since if I am correct it may put some significant future debt service requirements on UConn.

I know I could get the info from plodding through UConn financial reports, just wondering if anyone here has ready knowledge.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hartford stealing a successful minor league team from another CT city wasn't something that was worth public financial support. Hartford also has a poor history of building things. It's not a surprise that this has blown up in their face.

The development industry in/around Hartford makes Trump look honest. We are over 15 years into the development at Rentschler, Front Street is underwhelming, the Colt area has been disappointing, etc.

Reaction Score
The ballpark is the centerpiece of a $300 million development project called Downtown North that will revitalize a long dormant and blighted section of the city and serve as a gateway between downtown and the north end. It is a city project that the city has invested in and I think allowing the city to collect the admission tax is fair. A Hard Rock Hotel has already been proposed for across the street and a long dormant plan for a new hotel on market street was able to get funding and is well on its way thanks to the stadium project moving forward. This is not really about the state or UConn and next year the initial delay will be an afterthought.

While I agree that the architecture of phase 1 of Front Street is underwhelming due to Jodi not funding the residential component, it's now becoming very successful and having UConn Hartford set up shop there will be a huge game changer. Getting that Barnes and Noble downtown is going to be sweet!

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The ballpark is the centerpiece of a $300 million development project called Downtown North that will revitalize a long dormant and blighted section of the city and serve as a gateway between downtown and the north end. It is a city project that the city has invested in and I think allowing the city to collect the admission tax is fair. A Hard Rock Hotel has already been proposed for across the street and a long dormant plan for a new hotel on market street was able to get funding and is well on its way thanks to the stadium project moving forward. This is not really about the state or UConn and next year the initial delay will be an afterthought.

While I agree that the architecture of phase 1 of Front Street is underwhelming due to Jodi not funding the residential component, it's now becoming very successful and having UConn Hartford set up shop there will be a huge game changer. Getting that Barnes and Noble downtown is going to be sweet!

That's all well and good, but it was also a vital part of NB'S economy for a long long time the organization and the city built a long and stable relationship.

I'm all for boosting the Capitol and urban centers, but this was not the way to go about it and the use of public funds was doubly inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom