Yanks resign Headley | The Boneyard

Yanks resign Headley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4 years $52 mil. Yearly incentive: over 550 plate appearances additional $1 mil. Strong infield defense w/Chase & DiDi. Club still offensively challenged but I like retaining Headley assuming his back is OK.

Still hoping for R. Soriano for the 'pen. Soriano was the closer the last time Yanks were a playoff team--Division Winners in fact in 2012.

Need 2 quality starters to go from bubble team to Division faves.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was hoping they might grab Ervin Santana and James Shields. Innings guys. Ervin is now a Twin.

Reaction Score
Wow.

Headley at 4/52 million??!!

Good D and all but really? He better repeat that one great season he had a couple years ago to be worth it.

Yankees have to sign Scherzer and go with a great P and real good D approach because the O looks pretty brutal....

Reaction Score
Wow.

Good D and all but really? He better repeat that one great season he had a couple years ago to be worth it.

Yankees have to sign Scherzer and go with a great P and real good D approach because the O looks pretty brutal....

That lineup is downright scary. I mean from a fans standpoint LOL - Wow this is awful but I agree Scherzer is a must sign. Guys like Tex, ARod, Headley need to relive 3-4 years ago type stats for them to even find ways to score runs with that offense. Actually if ARod even hits .270 with 20/75 and Tex somehow hits .250 with 25/80 they're better than last year. But those are HUGE ifs at best.

Reaction Score
That lineup is downright scary. I mean from a fans standpoint LOL - Wow this is awful but I agree Scherzer is a must sign. Guys like Tex, ARod, Headley need to relive 3-4 years ago type stats for them to even find ways to score runs with that offense. Actually if ARod even hits .270 with 20/75 and Tex somehow hits .250 with 25/80 they're better than last year. But those are HUGE ifs at best.

Agreed. They really need, at a minimum, for Ellsbury, McCann and Beltran to be the guys they thought they were signing.

And gotta get Scherzer. Get him, and with that rotation and BP, you dont need many runs.

Reaction Score
Agreed. They really need, at a minimum, for Ellsbury, McCann and Beltran to be the guys they thought they were signing.

And gotta get Scherzer. Get him, and with that rotation and BP, you dont need many runs.

Yeah McCann at .260/25/70, Beltran .280/20/90 and Ellsbury back at lead off .290/40 SB's would make them very competitive but it didn't look good did it? Never know, McCann I have hope for after the first year in the Al and Beltran needs to be healthy period! Tex needs to GO

Reaction Score
Plus you would think McCann and others could take advantage of the short RF in Yankee Stadium. Maybe they do this year... they better because alot of outs in the current lineup.

Which means getting Scherzer is a must. He is dominant.

Reaction Score
Wow.

Last five years of WAR, Pablo Sandoval 15.7, Chase Headley 20.3. Pablo got a 5 year 95 million contract.

I like Scherzer but he is on the wrong side of 30 and wants a $200 million deal, no thanks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a Sox fan, and think this is a decent signing, although a little too high. 3B is a scarce position right now, so both Headley and Sandoval are overpaid. If Headley rediscovers his offense, it's a great deal.

Reaction Score
Plus you would think McCann and others could take advantage of the short RF in Yankee Stadium. Maybe they do this year... they better because alot of outs in the current lineup.

Which means getting Scherzer is a must. He is dominant.
Things seem to be awfully quiet on Scherzer; not even a rumor. There are only a few teams that can afford him and of those, some won't bite because it is a long commitment to a pitcher who could develop arm problems. Personally, I think it will be a California team or he stays with the tigers. Two years ago I would have said the Yankees but they seem to be shying away from big commitments. However, I am usually wrong.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yankees just dealt Prado? Are they clearing out salary?

Reaction Score
Yankees just dealt Prado? Are they clearing out salary?

Not per se, (the deal included $6mil to Miami) but a new philosophy. They get a 24 y.o. pitcher who fastball tops out at 97 MPH & threw 200 innings last year with the Marlins, the bad news is he went 6-14. Add to that a top prospect who can crank it at 95 MPH & a decent lefty hitting First Baseman to replace Teix the Warrior at a moment's notice after the later shatters a fingernail.

I hate giving up Prado but they hope Ron Refsnyder is the long term answer at 2nd base. Ref has proven he can hit at AAA but he is making a defensive transition from RF. They may actually sign Stephen Drew for a year (he'll be cheap) for infield depth to take some heat off Ref & DiDi as they break in the two 25 year olds in NY.

It is Foundation Building 101, which we have not seen since 1994.

Reaction Score
Not per se, (the deal included $6mil to Miami) but a new philosophy. They get a 24 y.o. pitcher who fastball tops out at 97 MPH & threw 200 innings last year with the Marlins, the bad news is he went 6-14. Add to that a top prospect who can crank it at 95 MPH & a decent lefty hitting First Baseman to replace Teix the Warrior at a moment's notice after the later shatters a fingernail.

I hate giving up Prado but they hope Ron Refsnyder is the long term answer at 2nd base. Ref has proven he can hit at AAA but he is making a defensive transition from RF. They may actually sign Stephen Drew for a year (he'll be cheap) for infield depth to take some heat off Ref & DiDi as they break in the two 25 year olds in NY.

It is Foundation Building 101, which we have not seen since 1994.

Liked Prado but it's a good move. I am sure they feel they can do something with a live arm who can throw mid-to-high 90's and adds 200 plus innings. Jones can hot 15-25 HR's, add Yankee Stadium to the mix he will be a nice back up at 1B, RF and DH. The 3rd guy German is supposedly the wild card, many are very high on him.

It was "Germen" day as they added the reliever from the Mets too!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mas Tanaka
Michael Pineda
CC Sabathia
Nathan Eovaldi
Chris Capunao

On paper...pretty damned decent. In real life...freakin' question marks in every slot.

Mas Tanaka: When will the ligament snap?
Michael Pineda: When the 10 cent head mature?
CC : Can he pitch a dcent 180 innings?
Nathan Eovaldi: Can he improve the k/bb ratio and avoid big innings?
Chris CApuano: Can he keep the team in games if the offense consistently sucks?

Bullpen should be great.

Reaction Score
Can't go into the season with CC and Capuano in the 5. CC is done or as close as you get to it. Hardly even a 5 starter based on his last outings prior to the knee. Caption is a spot starter bullpen guy at best.

They can't be done!

Reaction Score
Can't go into the season with CC and Capuano in the 5. CC is done or as close as you get to it. Hardly even a 5 starter based on his last outings prior to the knee. Caption is a spot starter bullpen guy at best.

They can't be done!

They told Adam Warren that he would most likely be in the rotation and that was before they jettisoned Phelps to Miami w/Prado.

Peter Gammons raised an interesting point---------Eavoldi's problem is he throws everything at about the same speed (fast), his change-up flat out blows. Gammon's thinks he would be an ideal one or two inning pitcher (closer?) since he has 3 pitches (much like Betances who was miserable as a starter).

While interesting it is not going to pick-up their advance ticket sales. No matter how much Cashman dismisses the possibility of signing Mighty Max, I would not count him out. Hell, speaking of marquee names, rumor is the Yanks are seriously getting into the Tulo sweepstakes (which I think would be a HUGE mistake).

Rebuilding last week only to return to the Days of George this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom