Yanks on E | The Boneyard

Yanks on E

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This offense is incredibly bad. Pitching has been great. But they need a bat.

Reaction Score
This offense is incredibly bad. Pitching has been great. But they need a bat.

The offense is pitiful.........they have like 5 guys who have hit under .200 in the last 15-16 games at least and some much longer........it's painful to watch!!! Granderson and Jeter coming backk healthy can't even help this team it's not a good baseball team at all.

Last night 4-7 was 0 for 28 in 18 innings!!! How can that be unless you all suck........Tex, Hafner, Youk (0-8) and Wells...........ouch:confused:

Reaction Score
They have been doing it with mirrors all year----and get credit for winning so many games so far with that lineup...

They need to get younger ....relying on aging bats who are breaking down is a tough way to go...

Reaction Score
No doubt GO.......actually may go as far as trading Cano for some studs if out of it late.......he is so talented yet always the enigma.......

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not a Kevin Long fan. He gets rave reviews and yet that team, and not just this year, goes through team slumps too often. They are so HR oriented that they are killed by off speed stuff. One reason: They never go the opposite way so are always hitting weak grounders, weak pop ups or striking out. Frankly, I'm not sure outside of a little tinkering what a batting coach does at the major league level, but it doesn't look like it has anything to do with how to approach an at bat. If any of these slumping guys routinely went with the pitch, they would be a whole lot more dangerous. The dumb thing is, almost all of the slumping guys have HR power the other way, so you aren't necessarily always trading singles and doubles (and even a nice Sac Fly) for home runs.

zls44

Reaction Score
It's hard to blame Kevin Long or Girardi when they're working with garbage guys.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Kevin Long fan. He gets rave reviews and yet that team, and not just this year, goes through team slumps too often. They are so HR oriented that they are killed by off speed stuff. One reason: They never go the opposite way so are always hitting weak grounders, weak pop ups or striking out. Frankly, I'm not sure outside of a little tinkering what a batting coach does at the major league level, but it doesn't look like it has anything to do with how to approach an at bat. If any of these slumping guys routinely went with the pitch, they would be a whole lot more dangerous. The dumb thing is, almost all of the slumping guys have HR power the other way, so you aren't necessarily always trading singles and doubles (and even a nice Sac Fly) for home runs.

Guys can hit or they can't, it's not on Long.......I mean look at the line up. Nix? Stewart (who's been pretty good) Youk and Wells - done! Gardner - been good lately.........Cano, Tex, Ichiro - what can he do with them?

This is a bad hitting team with too many old dudes period!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Guys can hit or they can't, it's not on Long.......I mean look at the line up. Nix? Stewart (who's been pretty good) Youk and Wells - done! Gardner - been good lately.........Cano, Tex, Ichiro - what can he do with them?

This is a bad hitting team with too many old dudes period!!
The team is totally jacking it oriented. The only power hitter on the team who often goes with the pitch is Cano. They have been a crappy team in building rallies for more than just this year. Really prone to making off speed pitchers looking like Cy Young. I know guys like Wells, Youk and Hafner are on the downhill side, but not as god awful as they all have looked and throw in Texeira. Long has been the coach through these years of HR dependence.

zls44

Reaction Score
The HR dependence thing is a proven myth. It's like the "too many homers!" crap.

That said, you'd be crazy not to build an offense largely around home runs. When you face good pitching (aka most MLB starters), you aren't getting many hits or runs. A home run allows you to get multiple runs on one of the few hits you're going to get.

One fixable problem they have now is that they aren't seeing nearly enough pitches. Guys are going up there hacking away. Too many first-pitch outs. Way too many. But I think that if you're upset at Kevin Long because Reid Brignac & Jayson Nix are struggling at the plate, you're missing the real problem.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The HR dependence thing is a proven myth. It's like the "too many homers!" crap.

That said, you'd be crazy not to build an offense largely around home runs. When you face good pitching (aka most MLB starters), you aren't getting many hits or runs. A home run allows you to get multiple runs on one of the few hits you're going to get.

One fixable problem they have now is that they aren't seeing nearly enough pitches. Guys are going up there hacking away. Too many first-pitch outs. Way too many. But I think that if you're upset at Kevin Long because Reid Brignac & Jayson Nix are struggling at the plate, you're missing the real problem.

When i see team after team beat them with opposite field singles and doubles, I think there is a whole lot more to an offense than hitting home runs. If you can't see how screwed up the whole team is by off speed stuf which makes them all vulnerable to missing 90 mph fast balls you aren't watching the same game I am. I don't care how old some of these guys are because they aren't that old and most have been very good hitters. It's a team psychology and when trying to jack is giving you 3 weeks if getting about 2 runs a game, there's a fix needed. Whether this is a batting approach issue or a managerial philosophy issue I don't know. But they are doing a great job of wasting some pretty good pitching.

Reaction Score
When i see team after team beat them with opposite field singles and doubles, I think there is a whole lot more to an offense than hitting home runs. If you can't see how screwed up the whole team is by off speed stuf which makes them all vulnerable to missing 90 mph fast balls you aren't watching the same game I am. I don't care how old some of these guys are because they aren't that old and most have been very good hitters. It's a team psychology and when trying to jack is giving you 3 weeks if getting about 2 runs a game, there's a fix needed. Whether this is a batting approach issue or a managerial philosophy issue I don't know. But they are doing a great job of wasting some pretty good pitching.

I hear what you're saying but let's look at the whole picture. Granderson and Tex are HR hitters, these aren't .320 guys and wouldn't be at any park. Best thing to do is utilize their strengths and that's a short porch in right. It has worked for the most part with some nice numbers, they both K too much but that's always been the case. No matter what Long has done with Tex it's on him.........you have the whole left side of the field open to you and with 2 strikes you elect to try to pull it and strike out yet again??? He's a crappy hitter period and has gotten worst. He's lived off of shi**y pitchers really his whole career often overmatched by the good ones..........Long has little to work with period. They aren't good hitters and most that were are done!!!! There's a reason no one wanted Wells, Overbay and Youk and now Brignac (yikes he's a hitter)......you're seeing it and to blame Long is not at all correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom