Yankees | The Boneyard

Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure anyone is going to be too proud of what they throw out there this year...........
Yes, we might even have to acknowledge the Tampa Bay fan. I'd say Red Sox over/under is right about 81 and Yanks maybe 87 or so.

EDIT: Checked web, per Jonah Keri Yanks 86.5, Sox 79.5 - if I had to I'd probably take the over on both but not with a lot of money. Tampa is 86 (OVER more strongly than either above) and O's 76.5. Not sure of the math, but seems that you could take the under on each and almost guarantee yourself 3/5.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yanks and Sox will be duking it out for last place in the AL East... Sad times!!

Reaction Score
Yanks and Sox will be duking it out for last place in the AL East... Sad times!!
The Sox made a lot of moves but nothing exciting. They will probably be better than last year because they could not be worse. The Yankees did almost nothing. They will be worse than last year. I don't see either team in the playoffs but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Sox made a lot of moves but nothing exciting. They will probably be better than last year because they could not be worse. The Yankees did almost nothing. They will be worse than last year. I don't see either team in the playoffs but it would not be the first time I was wrong.
I'm a Yankees fan, but- totally agree. Going to be painful following along this season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

The Sox moves were made to stabilize the product on the field, nothing more, but nothing less. They have a decent farm system that should pay dividends in the next couple years, but this year is a reloading year. They are probably a middle of the pack team with some upside (unfortunately, an equal amount of downside).

The Yankees appear to be a year older version of last year. CC and 4 other guys in the rotation and a ho-hum lineup. The thing about it is they've found a way for 13 out of the last 14 years.

It would not surprise me in the least to see no Wildcard come out of the AL East.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Joe Girardi is going to REALLY have to manage this year. Going to be the most unexciting year in the Bronx in a long time. My boss may be begging me to take tickets.

Reaction Score
Im already prepared to see the Yankees miss the playoffs, the only reason im gonna have an interest in them is to watch MO and Andy's farewell tour, Jeter will play 2-3 more years I think to take an attempt at 4,000 hits dont think he will get it though.

Reaction Score
If I were running the Red Sox I would make some big changes. First I would start Jackie Bradley in center field and do my best to trade Jacoby Ellsbury. I would start Bogaerts at short and use Drew as a utility infielder. I would start Lavarnway at catcher and see what he could do. I would try to trade Salty. I would add either De La Rosa and or/ Webster to the starting rotation. With the current direction the Sox are going, it is easy to predict that they will be at best a .500 team. Why waste a year?

Husky25

Reaction Score
If I were running the Red Sox I would make some big changes. First I would start Jackie Bradley in center field and do my best to trade Jacoby Ellsbury. I would start Bogaerts at short and use Drew as a utility infielder. I would start Lavarnway at catcher and see what he could do. I would try to trade Salty. I would add either De La Rosa and or/ Webster to the starting rotation. With the current direction the Sox are going, it is easy to predict that they will be at best a .500 team. Why waste a year?

That doesn't make any sense. If the Sox are not a .500 team anyway (your opinion), then why start the arbitration clocks on the young guys unnecessarily early? If you think the year is wasted anyway, bring them up when they are ready.

On the other hand, Pawtucket is stacked this year. :D

Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense. If the Sox are not a .500 team anyway (your opinion), then why start the arbitration clocks on the young guys unnecessarily early? If you think the year is wasted anyway, bring them up when they are ready.

On the other hand, Pawtucket is stacked this year. :D
We don't agree on this one. The Padres are a team that always takes into account the arbitration clock and look at them. Hopefully the Sox are a team that can sign their good players to longer term contracts before arbitration. They didn't do it with Jacoby but there are some legitimate concerns about his stamina and he has a agent who is very difficult to deal with.

My old boss used to say the long term planning is good but if you don't take care of the short term, you may not get to see the long term.

I say put Bogaerts and Bradley in the line-up now. It would speed their development and add some much needed excitement. Wouldn't you like to see an outfield of Bradley, Ellsbury and Victorino? I would have Bradley lead-off and Ellsbury hit third.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We don't agree on this one. The Padres are a team that always takes into account the arbitration clock and look at them. Hopefully the Sox are a team that can sign their good players to longer term contracts before arbitration. They didn't do it with Jacoby but there are some legitimate concerns about his stamina and he has a agent who is very difficult to deal with.

My old boss used to say the long term planning is good but if you don't take care of the short term, you may not get to see the long term.

I say put Bogaerts and Bradley in the line-up now. It would speed their development and add some much needed excitement. Wouldn't you like to see an outfield of Bradley, Ellsbury and Victorino? I would have Bradley lead-off and Ellsbury hit third.

They were never going to sign Ellsbury long term. Boras' clients always go to free agency.

The difference is that the Red Sox have the resources to do both. San Diego largely does not. If you put Bradley and Bogaerts in the Major League line up right now, there is more of a potential to slow down their development, i.e. in over their head. No one know what Bogaerts is, he's been in Spring Training exactly a week, and is playing in the WBC currently. Bradley was in AA just a half season ago. If injuries dictate and they get called up, so be it. No need to force the issue.

Also Bradley will not lead off unless Ellsbury gets hurt (BTW, Ellsbury batting 3rd is laughable. I won't even address it). Bradley will start off his career in the 8 or 9 spot, just like Pedroia did.

Reaction Score
They were never going to sign Ellsbury long term. Boras' clients always go to free agency.

The difference is that the Red Sox have the resources to do both. San Diego largely does not. If you put Bradley and Bogaerts in the Major League line up right now, there is more of a potential to slow down their development, i.e. in over their head. No one know what Bogaerts is, he's been in Spring Training exactly a week, and is playing in the WBC currently. Bradley was in AA just a half season ago. If injuries dictate and they get called up, so be it. No need to force the issue.

Also Bradley will not lead off unless Ellsbury gets hurt (BTW, Ellsbury batting 3rd is laughable. I won't even address it). Bradley will start off his career in the 8 or 9 spot, just like Pedroia did.
In 2010 when he was healthy, Jacoby hit .321, with 32 hrs, 46 doubles and 105 RBI. I can understand why you might disagree with me but how is that laughable? Who would be better in the three spot? Also Bradley has a much better eye for the strike zone than anyone on the team. His OBP in the minors was .430. His OBP in spring training is over .600.

Husky25

Reaction Score
In 2010 when he was healthy, Jacoby hit .321, with 32 hrs, 46 doubles and 105 RBI. I can understand why you might disagree with me but how is that laughable? Who would be better in the three spot? Also Bradley has a much better eye for the strike zone than anyone on the team. His OBP in the minors was .430. His OBP in spring training is over .600.
Really? Do I have to answer? Okay, I will...please reference the stats below from (oddly enough) Baseball Reference.

Why is Ellsbury hitting 3rd laughable? Maybe because he hit almost as many homeruns in 2011 as he did in his entire professional career including 2012. Maybe because he hit HR numbering in the double digits exactly 1 other time. Maybe because he had more triples than HR in 3 of those years 2005-2006, 2009.

The other ratios below are in the teens. You don't think 2011 was a bit of an outlier both in health and power production?

Year - Games, 3b/HR totals, SB
2005 - 35, 5/1, 23 (minors)
2006 - 111, 8/7, 41 (minors)
2007 - 104, 5/4, 25 (Minors)
2007 - 33, 1/3, 9
2008 - 145, 7/9, 50
2009 - 153, 10/8, 70
2010 - 9, 0/0, 2 (Minors)
2010 - 18, 0/0, 7
2012 - 8, 0/1, 0 (Minors)
2012 - 74, 0/4, 14
Subtotals 690, 40/37, 241 (Excluding 2011)
2011 - 158, 5/32, 39
Total 848, 45/69, 280

(%2011/career): 18.6, 11.1/46.4, 13.9

Oh, and the following are better choices for the 3 hole.
Pedroia (Best pure hitter)
Papi (Best Power hitter)
Middlebrooks (2nd best in both categories to the aformentioned)
Mike Napoli (actually a healthy Papi should bat 3rd with Napoli batting 4th in a perfect world.)

Reaction Score
It will depend upon pitching and injuries like it usually does. Name any AL East team and they could win the division or come in last place.

Reaction Score

Problem is in the days of PED's is that why he was good that year, why he got injured and why he sucked last year?? Who know's in this day and age....it's a crap shoot

Reaction Score
Problem is in the days of PED's is that why he was good that year, why he got injured and why he sucked last year?? Who know's in this day and age....it's a crap shoot
to be fair to Ellsbury he's hurt every year. Ellsbury is going to have to have a season close to 20-25 hrs for people to not rightly suspect of some kind of PED use in 2010. With HGH testing now it's going to be more difficult to get away with cheating.

Reaction Score
Hey 60s you absolutely don't rush your two best prospects past their timetable. Boegarts is 20 I think and Bradley is 22...they'll still be very young if they're in the lineup in 2014. Like Husky said, rushing them could prove to be a detriment to their mental psyche. You want guys to be challenged but not overwhelmed.

Reaction Score
Hey 60s you absolutely don't rush your two best prospects past their timetable. Boegarts is 20 I think and Bradley is 22...they'll still be very young if they're in the lineup in 2014. Like Husky said, rushing them could prove to be a detriment to their mental psyche. You want guys to be challenged but not overwhelmed.
You make a good point on Bogaerts who probably needs more time but I think Bradley is ready. He is 22 and played for South Carolina before he was signed. In fact he was on the team that beat Uconn in the College World Series . He has great plate discipline and is hitting .500 in spring training. He is an above average defender with a strong arm. For you older Red Sox fans, Yaz, Dwight Evans and Jim Rice were all 22 or younger when they were brought up. More recently Mike Trout was 19 when he was first brought up and became the full-time Angel center fielder at the tender age of 20. Bryce Harper was 19 last year when he became a full time outfield for Washington. Joe Nuxhall was 15 when he was brought up but an argument could be made that he was rushed to the bigs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You make a good point on Bogaerts who probably needs more time but I think Bradley is ready.

My brother says that Bradley will be a stud and he's my go-to prospect guy. He likes the Sox this year. Combine that scouting report with this Grantland article that shovels some dirt on the Yanks and I'm feeling a little better about the season than I did last week.

Reaction Score
. Combine that scouting report with this Grantland article that shovels some dirt on the Yanks and I'm feeling a little better about the season than I did last week.

Wasn't a bad article but this :
So long as the Yankees stick to their guns and aim to get their payroll under the threshold next year, they won't be able to purchase help from outside the organization

is wrong. The Yanks can add payroll this year as long as the contract expires at the end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom