Yankees to acquire Stephen Drew!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yankees to acquire Stephen Drew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just can't leave it at a positive can you - "joke of a RF"?? WTF

This coming from a guy who's team hits 200 extra pop fly doubles which would be outs at any other stadium in baseball……funny thing everyone has the same opportunity going into the game right Vike?
YS right field is a joke, a guy like Drew could hit 20 HR there. Am I wrong? Not sure what it has to do with Fenway, we're talking about a pull hitter with so so power like Drew who could hit 20 at your short porch, relax.

Reaction Score
What does this mean?

Drew was not eligible for arbitration. Drew was offered a qualifying offer, which last year was just over $14M. He rejecting the offer which means the Sox would have gotten the signing team's 1st round draft pick, IF and only IF he signed prior to the 2015 first entry draft.

The Sox didn't prevent another team from signing him, but Drew's (Boras's) salary demands + losing their 1st round pick was too steep a price.

When the Sox signed Drew, all that really happened was the equivalent of him accepting the qualifying offer.

Finally, what does it matter? The Sox are squarely focused on 2015, and they saved about $4M by trading Drew. It was a sound Business decision...Albeit, It doesn't make up for the dumpster fire on the field currently on the field.
It doesn't matter, just an aside that was kind of interesting in lieu of Drew's breakout hitting after being traded. I don't know the exact rules of the #1 draft pick compensation, but the Sox did wait (smartly, probably only because the long-term plan wasn't Drew, but then they decided maybe he'd plug the dyke on 2014 disaster) until the tail end of the period before the 2015 draft to sign Drew.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter, just an aside that was kind of interesting in lieu of Drew's breakout hitting after being traded. I don't know the exact rules of the #1 draft pick compensation, but the Sox did wait (smartly, probably only because the long-term plan wasn't Drew, but then they decided maybe he'd plug the dyke on 2014 disaster) until the tail end of the period before the 2015 draft to sign Drew.
It does matter. because holding on to draft picks (whatever that means) has no bearing on another team signing Drew. If you don't know how the process works then it probably shouldn't be listed in the timeline.

The combination of his salary demands and a team losing their 1st round draft pick in the process was what kept him unsigned. The Red Sox were not smart in resigning Drew. They were already not going to get draft pick compensation. Teams in need of a SS knew they just needed to only wait 2 weeks for the draft to end before calling Boras. Plus the Sox were out $10 Million. Defense was not the only or worst problem this year. Offense was and there were at least five significant changes in the line-up:

(1) Weak hitting Bradley for Elsbury,
(2) No lead off hitter,
(3) No Victorino,
(4) AJ For Salty,
(5) Journeymen not duplicating 2013 career years

Drew was not the solution for any of these issues.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dumpster fire? WTF ………you want Holt, Pedroia, Papi, Cespedes, Napoli, Boaegarts or Gardner, Jeter, Texiera, Beltran, McCann, Headley?? Please they are still a decent offense in compared to many and the pitching, well we both lost 4/5ths of our starters!! Both are close to the incinerator……...
I want Holt Pedey, Papi, Cespedes, Napoli, and Bogaerts if only for the name on the front of their Uniform. The Sox improved the offense at the trade deadline, which was no doubt a significant need. But the game is won within a 60"-6" space between two pieces of rubber in the infield. Be that as it may, I've never seen a large market team put on a fire sale of Marlin proportions like the Sox did last week.

On the other hand, the Sox have a lot of flexibility moving forward and a farm system loaded with arms (including a UConn Husky), but have yet to succeed at this level. With their resources, the future looks certainly looks brighter for the Red Sox.

And yes...Compared to what Red Sox Nation enjoyed during a magical 2013 run, this year is a dumpster fire. The Yankees don't enter into the equation.

Reaction Score
It does matter. because holding on to draft picks (whatever that means) has no bearing on another team signing Drew. If you don't know how the process works then it probably shouldn't be listed in the timeline.

The combination of his salary demands and a team losing their 1st round draft pick in the process was what kept him unsigned. The Red Sox were not smart in resigning Drew. They were already not going to get draft pick compensation. Teams in need of a SS knew they just needed to only wait 2 weeks for the draft to end before calling Boras. Plus the Sox were out $10 Million. Defense was not the only or worst problem this year. Offense was and there were at least five significant changes in the line-up:

(1) Weak hitting Bradley for Elsbury,
(2) No lead off hitter,
(3) No Victorino,
(4) AJ For Salty,
(5) Journeymen not duplicating 2013 career years

Drew was not the solution for any of these issues.
Whoa, I was making a joke about Drew and acknowledging the Sox did the right business thing, which coincidentally could be spun as a vendetta against the Drews (excluding Homer & Bryce). I understand the basics of if someone else signed him up to a certain date the Sox would get a draft pick (and that's what I referenced, albeit poorly) but I haven't actually read the rule and don't care to. Sox were right to make a qualifying offer so they'd get him or the draft pick, that's what I meant by more poorly worded comment.

Then Re-signing Drew obviously didn't work but at the time the team was spiraling downward and it was much shorter money to as I said try to plug a dyke. It didn't work but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying and at the time they did it the season was salvageable and he was one of few available bandaids. But obviously they acknowledged it didn't work by jettisoning him again. And I think the Yankees are picking up all or most of the pro-rated contract so either way who cares/its done and immaterial going forward (2015).

I agree with your 1-5, 1 and 5 biggest factors in the debacle that is 2014. Was it 'smart' to let Ellsbury go? Who knows, obviously it screwed this season and they'd likely take him for $22M in 2014 if that one move would make them competitive but long-term they've bet that they are better off without him and the $ and only time will tell.

Reaction Score
I want Holt Pedey, Papi, Cespedes, Napoli, and Bogaerts if only for the name on the front of their Uniform. The Sox improved the offense at the trade deadline, which was no doubt a significant need. But the game is won within a 60"-6" space between two pieces of rubber in the infield. Be that as it may, I've never seen a large market team put on a fire sale of Marlin proportions like the Sox did last week.

On the other hand, the Sox have a lot of flexibility moving forward and a farm system loaded with arms (including a UConn Husky), but have yet to succeed at this level. With their resources, the future looks certainly looks brighter for the Red Sox.

And yes...Compared to what Red Sox Nation enjoyed during a magical 2013 run, this year is a dumpster fire. The Yankees don't enter into the equation.

Why not? Because they were too close to a potential "wild card" game? Please??? C'mon 25…….

Reaction Score
YS right field is a joke, a guy like Drew could hit 20 HR there. Am I wrong? Not sure what it has to do with Fenway, we're talking about a pull hitter with so so power like Drew who could hit 20 at your short porch, relax.

Good news for you is you continue to prove NOTHING! But I agree he would hit more there,……..but here's the deal smart guy, if Donnie Baseball played at fenway back in the day, he may have hot 80-90 doubles……the quirks of the fields need to be talked about other than the RF porch of Yankee Stadium don't they….no maybe not you're not smart enough to make that happen, kinda pretty much a baseball dope!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why not? Because they were too close to a potential "wild card" game? Please??? C'mon 25…….
Why not? Because I wasn't referring to the Yankees. The 2014 Red Sox are a dumpster fire compared to the 2013 Red Sox. Period. End of Lesson.

Not everything pertaining to Major League Baseball includes the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Why not? Because I wasn't referring to the Yankees. The 2014 Red Sox are a dumpster fire compared to the 2013 Red Sox. Period. End of Lesson.

Not everything pertaining to Major League Baseball includes the Yankees.

No lesson here and not much of a difference except the pitching………just for the heck of it this thread was about Drew not about whining about how the magic of yesteryear isn't working this year either! Lesson over 25!;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
No lesson here and not much of a difference except the pitching………just for the heck of it this thread was about Drew not about whining about how the magic of yesteryear isn't working this year either! Lesson over 25!;)

You didn't teach any lesson. Nowhere in my original post did I mention the Yankees. Neither did Dogdeacon, whose post I was originally responding). My post was to explain the effect and mechanations of the the Sox tendering a qualifying offer to Drew, resigning, and then trading him.

The fact that he was traded to the Yankees is not a permanent fact. Period. That is the last I am say it. You can have the last word but you'll only be arguing with yourself.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
..if Donnie Baseball played at fenway back in the day, he may have hot 80-90 doubles

Love Donnie Baseball. What was his post-season stats? What did the Yanks do right after he retired?

Reaction Score
You didn't teach any lesson. Nowhere in my original post did I mention the Yankees. Neither did Dogdeacon, whose post I was originally responding). My post was to explain the effect and mechanations of the the Sox tendering a qualifying offer to Drew, resigning, and then trading him.

The fact that he was traded to the Yankees is not a permanent fact. Period. That is the last I am say it. You can have the last word but you'll only be arguing with yourself.

Ok - you got me! LOL………Sox fans tough year huh? Cranky duckks………..Drew got traded to the Yanks, they are in on this thread like it or not. To post something as ignorant as "Not everything pertaining to MLB includes the Yanks" is laughable…….it's a thread about a guy who was traded fromt he Sox to the Yanks, how dare I question Husky25? Funny………….

Reaction Score
Love Donnie Baseball. What was his post-season stats? What did the Yanks do right after he retired?

Donnie Baseball was a better baseball player than anyone you have on this team or any of your championship teams since 2004 (minus potentially the cheater Manny)…….period. No argument!

Reaction Score

It's you needing to find something wrong with the Yanks even when you were trying to be positive for once………right field is a joke like LF is at Fenway……..but the nuances of old baseball fields and dimensions make it fun. Both teams play there the same night……Cano ain't coming close to his HR numbers no doubt…….it's obvious……….but good hitters would have a picnic at Fenway too carving fly balls off of it….Boggs made a living.

You want to make fun a field to hit HR's in please look no further than Camden Park - that's a shoe box in all fields……..

Husky25

Reaction Score
To post something as ignorant as "Not everything pertaining to MLB includes the Yanks" is laughable...

Jeff Samardzija was traded from the Cubs to the Athletics. How did that transaction include the Yankees? Geezus. you're like a Boston College fan, when some insinuates the least bit of critism (and even when they don't). Do you have a guilty conscience or something? Do you feel bad about supporting the Yankees? Why do you have to apologize for or interject the Bronx Bombers into every discussion about Major League Baseball? There are other and more things on which to waste calories.

It's you needing to find something wrong with the Yanks even when you were trying to be positive for once………right field is a joke like LF is at Fenway……..but the nuances of old baseball fields and dimensions make it fun. Both teams play there the same night……Cano ain't coming close to his HR numbers no doubt…….it's obvious……….but good hitters would have a picnic at Fenway too carving fly balls off of it….Boggs made a living.

You want to make fun a field to hit HR's in please look no further than Camden Park - that's a shoe box in all fields……..

Yankee fans don't get to make that claim any longer. Yankee Stadium III is only 4 years old. Major League rules stipulate minimum distances for parks built after 1958. The lines should be at least 325 feet and center should be at least 400) They filed for a waiver to keep the "original" dimensions in order to preserve the history and integrity of The Stadium through the transition.

Reaction Score
Jeff Samardzija was traded from the Cubs to the Athletics. How did that transaction include the Yankees? Geezus. you're like a Boston College fan, when some insinuates the least bit of critism (and even when they don't). Do you have a guilty conscience or something? Do you feel bad about supporting the Yankees? Why do you have to apologize for or interject the Bronx Bombers into every discussion about Major League Baseball? There are other and more things on which to waste calories.

Yankee fans don't get to make that claim any longer. Yankee Stadium III is only 4 years old. Major League rules stipulate minimum distances for parks built after 1958. The lines should be at least 325 feet and center should be at least 400) They filed for a waiver to keep the "original" dimensions in order to preserve the history and integrity of The Stadium through the transition.

Make some sense some time then we'll talk…….funny its your rules here? It's on you as to who should talk about what and when here? Must be nice to be the smartest guy in the BY?:eek:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Make some sense some time then we'll talk…….funny its your rules here? It's on you as to who should talk about what and when here? Must be nice to be the smartest guy in the BY?:eek:
Heavy is the head that wears the crown...;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was thing moreso Roger Sterling, but whatever floats your boat.

Reaction Score

Minute Maid Park is 315 feet down the left-field line
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards is 318 feet down the right field line
- Petco Park is 396 feet to center field and 322 feet to right field
- PNC Park is 399 to center and 320 to right field

But only the big, bad Yankees do it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who said that they were big and bad? Mau alluded to old fields. Yankee Stadium III is 5 years old.

Those other teams were apparently granted waivers too for whatever reason, but the preferred dimensions are listed in rule 1.04.

Reaction Score
Who said that they were big and bad? Mau alluded to old fields. Yankee Stadium III is 5 years old.

Those other teams were apparently granted waivers too for whatever reason, but the preferred dimensions are listed in rule 1.04.

They made a "new stadium" but didn't change the dimensions of what is the most significant stadium in the history of baseball…..something wrong with that? Do you honestly think if the Sox built a new one they'd change the Green Monster? Not sure what you are getting at? Yanks have a short porch in RF……..news?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Donnie Baseball was a better baseball player than anyone you have on this team or any of your championship teams since 2004 (minus potentially the cheater Manny)…….period. No argument!

Yankee fans are all about the rings, unless they aren't.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They made a "new stadium" but didn't change the dimensions of what is the most significant stadium in the history of baseball…..something wrong with that?
They changed dimensions in 1975 when they built Yankee Stadium II.

Do you honestly think if the Sox built a new one they'd change the Green Monster? Not sure what you are getting at? Yanks have a short porch in RF……..news?
I believe the Yawkey Trust also applied for a variance in 1999 when the new Fenway was being planned, prior to the team's sale. I saw the blue prints and mock up at the Hynes Center during Fan Fest on the All-Star weekend.

My point was you said, "old field." The field at Yankee Stadium is not old. Steinbrenner had an opportunity to conform more fully to rule 1.04. He didn't. They got a variance and that's fine, but IMO Yankee Stadium can no longer be classified as an "old field" with the likes of Wrigley, Fenway, or even Anaheim and Dodger Stadium for that matter.

Reaction Score
Yankee fans are all about the rings, unless they aren't.

I'm not……sorry you can be a good player without a ring. Winfield and Henderson sucked at that time too huh? Make some sense please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom