Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let's hope he is getting flipped...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Kelly Johnson to Sox.

Reaction Score
Drew is a very good defensive SS but Cherington mentioned that he may be playing 2B in NY. Kelly Johnson makes no sense for the Sox. They are already trying to figure out how to get Brock Holt PT and he'll be in there before Johnson.
Drew could turn out to be a good pick up for the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Drew is a very good defensive SS but Cherington mentioned that he may be playing 2B in NY. Kelly Johnson makes no sense for the Sox. They are already trying to figure out how to get Brock Holt PT and he'll be in there before Johnson.
Drew could turn out to be a good pick up for the Yankees.

How Danzz? Johnson has been awful but the Yanks can't hit and they go from .220 to .180 or whatever………unless he comes alive with the change of scenery this is basically a wash…………here's hoping you are correct!

Reaction Score
How Danzz? Johnson has been awful but the Yanks can't hit and they go from .220 to .180 or whatever………unless he comes alive with the change of scenery this is basically a wash…………here's hoping you are correct!
Drew has been hitting much better lately; worse wasn't possible. He can give Jeter a day off when he needs it against RH pitchers but Drew is awful against LF pitchers. He may even add some pop with the short porch in RF. Drew is not the answer to anything with his bat for sure but he is better than a .220 hitter as long as he doesn't see too many LH pitchers.
The Sox wanted to get rid of Drew and play Bogarts at SS the rest of the year. The Yankees likely could have had Drew for no player in return. Maybe the Yankees just wanted to unload Johnson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Yankees are just shuffling deck chairs.

Drew costs them nothing. The Sox wrapped up their season next week, so they didn't want to pay a guy to hit .220 whereas the Yankees are the verge of having their season slip away and they're grasping at cheap straws.

Reaction Score
Drew is made for Yankee Stadium and he's been hitting much better lately. Good defensively player, I seriously think he could hit 15-20 there next year with that joke of a RF.

Reaction Score
Drew is made for Yankee Stadium and he's been hitting much better lately. Good defensively player, I seriously think he could hit 15-20 there next year with that joke of a RF.

Just can't leave it at a positive can you - "joke of a RF"?? WTF

This coming from a guy who's team hits 200 extra pop fly doubles which would be outs at any other stadium in baseball……funny thing everyone has the same opportunity going into the game right Vike?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Drew is head and shoulders above Johnson defensively. On the other hand, Stephen has played as many professional games at 2nd as J.D. It's a different pivot and different view from the other side of second base, but if Jeter didn't move for the best Shortstop in the game in 2004, he certainly isn't going to during his swansong tour of the American League.

Husky25

Reaction Score
When did Drew turn into Mark Belanger? This guy called him below average. He blows.
If he was Mark Belanger on September 23, 2013, he turned into Omar Visquel during October. No one was more sure handed than Drew during the playoffs, as the Red Sox dispatched 3 of the better pitching staffs in the Majors (i.e. runs were going to be at a premium and they could not afford to give up needless runs). At the plate, Mario Mendoza would have been an improvement (and still would be).

Reaction Score
I think Drew is a good add for the Yankees. He is solid defensively. His offensive numbers look bad mostly because he had no spring training. They may play him at second but a better move might be to play him at short and have Jeter DH or is that heresy. I see Johnson headed for Pawtucket or outright release. The Sox want to look at some of their young players for the rest of the year. I think they'd like to bring up Mookie Betts but I'm not sure where they'd play hm now.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think Drew is a good add for the Yankees. He is solid defensively. His offensive numbers look bad mostly because he had no spring training. They may play him at second but a better move might be to play him at short and have Jeter DH or is that heresy. I see Johnson headed for Pawtucket or outright release. The Sox want to look at some of their young players for the rest of the year. I think they'd like to bring up Mookie Betts but I'm not sure where they'd play hm now.
Betts isn't being (...err...shouldn't be) called up until September when rosters expand, if at all. No need to take at bats away from him in an already crowded outfield.

I have a feeling Victorino has entered his last 7 week period in a Boston uniform and it may be cut to 4 weeks (i.e. waiver trade deadline) and Daniel Nava will be told, "Thanks for the memories." during his year-end-exit interview.

Reaction Score
Betts isn't being (...err...shouldn't be) called up until September when rosters expand, if at all. No need to take at bats away from him in an already crowded outfield.

I have a feeling Victorino has entered his last 7 week period in a Boston uniform and it may be cut to 4 weeks (i.e. waiver trade deadline) and Daniel Nava will be told, "Thanks for the memories." during his year-end-exit interview.
You might be right about Mookie but I don't think he has anything left to prove at Pawtucket. (He won last night's game with a walk-off HR).

I am a little surprised that the Sox haven't moved Blake Swihart to Pawtucket yet. He is higher rated than Christian Vasquez who is definitely a keeper.

I also agree about Victorino. He just can't stay healthy. I will never forget his HR against the Cardinals in game 6. I would like to see them hang on to Nava though. Since the beginning of June he has hit .331 with an OBP of over .400 and he can play outfield and first base.

Reaction Score
Brian Roberts has lost a few games with his defense so I guess it may be an improvement, who knows!

Reaction Score
Brian Roberts has lost a few games with his defense so I guess it may be an improvement, who knows!
Not sure why the Sox sent Drew and cash to the Yankees for Kelly Johnson. They should have kept the cash and let the Yankees keep Johnson.

Husky25

Reaction Score
WEEI reports that Cushman initiated the deal.

Beyond that, Drew was paid the prorated portion of $14Mil for the season. So even though the Sox sent $550k to NY, they save $4.17M for the rest of the year. They can now DFA Johnson for peanuts.

Reaction Score
Doesn't really matter, but couldn't they have stipulated that Drew can't play the first weekend against the Sox? They should have phony delivered a bad physical report that would hold him out until today.

First they pissed him off via arbitration.
Then the Sox held onto the draft pick rights so no one could sign him.
Then they finally relented and signed him for the arbitration number but pro-rated it.
And finally they dump him to the Yankees.

It is almost as if the Sox were taking revenge on the Drew family for JD's contract/lackadaisical attitude. Or perhaps they were conducting a psychological experiment to see what it takes to get a rise out of a Drew. It worked and SDrew certainly was motivated to extract revenge this weekend.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Then the Sox held onto the draft pick rights so no one could sign him..

What does this mean?

Drew was not eligible for arbitration. Drew was offered a qualifying offer, which last year was just over $14M. He rejecting the offer which means the Sox would have gotten the signing team's 1st round draft pick, IF and only IF he signed prior to the 2015 first entry draft.

The Sox didn't prevent another team from signing him, but Drew's (Boras's) salary demands + losing their 1st round pick was too steep a price.

When the Sox signed Drew, all that really happened was the equivalent of him accepting the qualifying offer.

Finally, what does it matter? The Sox are squarely focused on 2015, and they saved about $4M by trading Drew. It was a sound Business decision...Albeit, It doesn't make up for the dumpster fire on the field currently on the field.

Reaction Score
What does this mean?

Drew was not eligible for arbitration. Drew was offered a qualifying offer, which last year was just over $14M. He rejecting the offer which means the Sox would have gotten the signing team's 1st round draft pick, IF and only IF he signed prior to the 2015 first entry draft.

The Sox didn't prevent another team from signing him, but Drew's (Boras's) salary demands + losing their 1st round pick was too steep a price.

When the Sox signed Drew, all that really happened was the equivalent of him accepting the qualifying offer.

Finally, what does it matter? The Sox are squarely focused on 2015, and they saved about $4M by trading Drew. It was a sound Business decision...Albeit, It doesn't make up for the dumpster fire on the field currently on the field.

Dumpster fire? WTF ………you want Holt, Pedroia, Papi, Cespedes, Napoli, Boaegarts or Gardner, Jeter, Texiera, Beltran, McCann, Headley?? Please they are still a decent offense in compared to many and the pitching, well we both lost 4/5ths of our starters!! Both are close to the incinerator……...

Reaction Score
Dumpster fire? WTF ………you want Holt, Pedroia, Papi, Cespedes, Napoli, Boaegarts or Gardner, Jeter, Texiera, Beltran, McCann, Headley?? Please they are still a decent offense in compared to many and the pitching, well we both lost 4/5ths of our starters!! Both are close to the incinerator……...
I agree. I like our guys going forward but your guy is doing a better job with the talent he has than our guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom