Yankees may sign Drew | The Boneyard

Yankees may sign Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A report (Yard barker/Fox) said that the Yankees may sign Steven Drew and they would have made a move earlier except for the luxury tax threshold. Now that the luxury tax is in the rear view mirror with the signing of Tanaka, this would be a good move. Drew is as good as anyone defensively and would likely hit more HRs in Yankee Stadium. His problem is anemic hitting against LH pitching.

Reaction Score
The only way this would make sense is if he agreed to play 2nd base, and he said pretty adamantly that he had no intention of switching positions. But money can change minds.

Reaction Score
The only way this would make sense is if he agreed to play 2nd base, and he said pretty adamantly that he had no intention of switching positions. But money can change minds.
Jeter will be the SS and he would make the most sense to move but if it didn't happen when they signed Arod it won't happen now. The Yankees have to figure out how many games they think they will get from Jeter after surgery. I think they could still use Drew and he would definitely would be an upgrade at SS. Jeter could play SS against LF pitching, some against RH pitching and DH some with Drew playing about 70 games at SS. I think signing Drew makes sense.

Reaction Score
Jeter will be the SS and he would make the most sense to move but if it didn't happen when they signed Arod it won't happen now. The Yankees have to figure out how many games they think they will get from Jeter after surgery. I think they could still use Drew and he would definitely would be an upgrade at SS. Jeter could play SS against LF pitching, some against RH pitching and DH some with Drew playing about 70 games at SS. I think signing Drew makes sense.

Jeter ain't platooning unless they hold a gun to his head. Could Drew help? Hell, yeah. But at this point in his career, Jeets is basically writing his own name in the line-up. They've got Ryan and Nunie to fill in here and there. Supposedly Jeter is doing much better physically than last winter. With only an average year, Jeter can move up to 6th overall in hits and he knows his career is winding down.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if the Yankees signed Drew - his best bet might have been signing with the Sox for a year and then striking out to see what he's worth.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if the Yankees signed Drew - his best bet might have been signing with the Sox for a year and then striking out to see what he's worth.
Actually, that's what he did last year. The problem is that although he had a solid year, he did not have a great year. What is keeping teams away is that whoever signs him will have to forfeit a draft choice. He could sign again with the Sox but he is likely to be facing diminished playing time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Yankees may sign Drew" could have been written the day FA season started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom