Zoilo Almonte LF – who?
Robinson Cano 2B – All Star
Travis Hafner DH – un-roided has been a stiff
Vernon Wells RF – bro who’s lost it
Travis Ishikawa 1B – what?
Luis Cruz SS – why?
Alberto Gonzalez 3B – this guy again?
Austin Romine C – c'mon

$200 million doesn't go very far when $170 mill are old and hurt....And only 5 games back...Girardi for manager of year....

Reaction Score
Gardner is awful to me.......once in a while he'll get hot but his K's ratio is pitiful...........everything you say is spot on!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
For a team that is basically powerless , Girardi has zero imagination on O. Normally I don't favor this for a major league team, but it wouldn't hurt for these guys to try bunting for hits much more often, and I don't mean just Gardner and Suzuki. Or opposite field hitting. Get used to just contacting and centering the ball. And I still am unimpressed by Kevin Long. Even in the good slugging years, the team was way too HR dependent so they had long stretches of not scoring any other way. I agree that their record is better than could have been hoped, but I think that says as much about the opposition as it does about them.

Reaction Score
Man cohen you like Kevin Long about as much as I like Alex Oriahki........lol

It's an awful team, awful hitting team so to me way too unfair to judge any hitting coach. You could give this team steroids and it wouldn't help........it's hardly a AAA team. Both Kuroda and CC deserved to win the last 2 games they started but they can't hit.........it's painful as hell..........and poor Cano, he is being backed up by Hafner and Wells - ugghh!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Man cohen you like Kevin Long about as much as I like Alex Oriahki........lol

It's an awful team, awful hitting team so to me way too unfair to judge any hitting coach. You could give this team steroids and it wouldn't help........it's hardly a AAA team. Both Kuroda and CC deserved to win the last 2 games they started but they can't hit.........it's painful as hell..........and poor Cano, he is being backed up by Hafner and Wells - ugghh!!

Yeah, the coach has to actually coach. And it could be Girardi as well. Do something to try and manufacture runs. They don't have the guys who can bail you out with one swing. If you have 100 HR's on the DL, it seems reasonable to look for other ways to score. I agree as to the pitchers and Cano, although CC isn't exactly dominant. He does pitch well enough to win, though.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the coach has to actually coach. And it could be Girardi as well. Do something to try and manufacture runs. They don't have the guys who can bail you out with one swing. If you have 100 HR's on the DL, it seems reasonable to look for other ways to score. I agree as to the pitchers and Cano, although CC isn't exactly dominant. He does pitch well enough to win, though.

I agree on the bunting and the creativity but you have to be able to hit to be creative. They have no one who handles the bat that way and as a hitting coach you can't change that........the game has changed more all across baseball as kids come in learning how to pull the ball more especially the power hitters....lot less guys hitting it where its pitched and more guys crowding the plate and looking to pull, not just Kevin Long's hitters.......

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree on the bunting and the creativity but you have to be able to hit to be creative. They have no one who handles the bat that way and as a hitting coach you can't change that........the game has changed more all across baseball as kids come in learning how to pull the ball more especially the power hitters....lot less guys hitting it where its pitched and more guys crowding the plate and looking to pull, not just Kevin Long's hitters.......

I might agree, except that most of the guys batting 6-9 aren't power hitters. If those kids don't learn how to take it the other way, they won't be any better than utility players. I'm not blaming them. They are what they are. And the Yankees have a tough row to hoe with all of the missing parts. Veterans like Wells and Hafner are killing them. Even though I don't expect them to hit like they did in their prime, Wells was not a lousy opposite field hitter, but even guys like Gardner I think has started to think HR. If he bunted even 5% of the time, and went the opposite way, he'd be on base more and stealing bases, which should be his role. Suzuki, and Cano when he's right, will go the other way.

Reaction Score
Look at that....

Brett Gardner CF - serviceable
Zoilo Almonte LF – who?
Luis Cruz SS – why?
Austin Romine C – c'mon

$200 million doesn't go very far when $170 mill are old and hurt....And only 5 games back...Girardi for manager of year....

How exactly are the Mets as bad as they are? I look at this lineup and where the Yanks are in the standings and I have to wonder why the Mets aren't at least .500.....

Reaction Score
It is an awful line-up, and I think Girardi is doing a great job with it. I sometimes have to bite my hand listening to him talk up his players, but he's doing whatever he can with what he's got. And I can't criticize Long - he's working with basically a team of rejects: players other teams gave up on, or as mauconnfan said minor leaguers.

Gonzalez, Cruz, Ishikawa, and Romine flat out shouldn't be on the team. Hafner, Wells, Overbay, possibly Kuroda and Pettitte, and Mo may all be gone next year. Although the team denies it, it certainly seems like their goal is to get under the salary cap next year.

The combination of loading up on short-term/one year contracts that'll be off the books next year and a lack of positional talent in the upper minor league system could mean a long 16 months (next year probably won't be better).

Just a flat out unlucky year - who'd believe Jeter would suffer another broken ankle and Granderson would suffer two broken bones in one season from being hit by pitches.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that there can't be high expectations. But when was the last time they tried even a squeeze play? This team isn't going to score a lot of runs, and they might need to nickle and dime. I don't believe they are using these guys for what they can do. Having a guy thrown out at home on a squeeze play, or out stealing, isn't going to be the worst thing given how much trouble they're having anyway getting guys in from scoring position.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that there can't be high expectations. But when was the last time they tried even a squeeze play? This team isn't going to score a lot of runs, and they might need to nickle and dime. I don't believe they are using these guys for what they can do. Having a guy thrown out at home on a squeeze play, or out stealing, isn't going to be the worst thing given how much trouble they're having anyway getting guys in from scoring position.

A squeeze play?! Maybe they can practice that one after they're done playing pepper with Dizzy Dean and the Gashouse Gang.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A squeeze play?! Maybe they can practice that one after they're done playing pepper with Dizzy Dean and the Gashouse Gang.

When you score 1 or 2 runs a game and the pitchers have to throw shut outs, squeeze plays do work. What bright ideas do you have?

Reaction Score
When you score 1 or 2 runs a game and the pitchers have to throw shut outs, squeeze plays do work. What bright ideas do you have?

You don't compile a 200 million dollar team to win the division by squeeze bunting a run in once a month.

My bright idea would be don't pay huge contracts that hamstring your team when they get hurt. You loaded up on guys who can't apparently stay healthy. A squeeze play ain't fixin' it. That's like a dying restaurant offering "Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays".

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You don't compile a 200 million dollar team to win the division by squeeze bunting a run in once a month.

My bright idea would be don't pay huge contracts that hamstring your team when they get hurt. You loaded up on guys who can't apparently stay healthy. A squeeze play ain't fixin' it. That's like a dying restaurant offering "Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays".

Your talking long term, and I'm talking trying to win now with what you have. The offense with a bunch of AAA and over the hill guys is being run as if A-Rod, Texeira, Granderson and Jeter are still in the line up and in their prime. I don't favor an offense that is only trying to squeeze runs in, but this bunch has shown that getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 out is a task beyond them with a regular approach. Maybe making the infield adjust would open up a few other things. And I think Ducky Medwick would be the star of this team, right now, may he rest in peace.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gardner is perfect 4th OFer.

Or 9-hole defensive outfielder. Definitely not someone to bat anywhere else.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Your talking long term, and I'm talking trying to win now with what you have. The offense with a bunch of AAA and over the hill guys is being run as if A-Rod, Texeira, Granderson and Jeter are still in the line up and in their prime. I don't favor an offense that is only trying to squeeze runs in, but this bunch has shown that getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 out is a task beyond them with a regular approach. Maybe making the infield adjust would open up a few other things. And I think Ducky Medwick would be the star of this team, right now, may he rest in peace.

And I'm of the mind that you can't win right now. You pushed your chips in on the big guys and don't have the cards to win.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And I'm of the mind that you can't win right now. You pushed your chips in on the big guys and don't have the cards to win.

Given that their pitching has been mostly okay, I wouldn't say that a run here or there wouldn't make a difference. Obviously it won't win a huge number of games, but maybe enough to keep them in it until some of the wounded return. Of course, outside of Granderson, the other wounded are ancient as well (who am I to call them ancient?) . I also wouldn't discount Cervelli either. He was showing signs of maturity and he seemed to be pretty clutch, even though the sample isn't big enough to jump to any conclusions.

Reaction Score
Look at that....

Brett Gardner CF - serviceable
Zoilo Almonte LF – who?
Luis Cruz SS – why?
Austin Romine C – c'mon

I agree with Girardi for m of y..This is a Yankee team of no names and they have no business having a winning record. Starting pitching has kept then reasonably close.The old farts who may be coming back (except for Granderson) are over the hill and won't provide much help. This is going to be a tough couple of years for Yankee fans as they try to get younger and rebuild. I feel really bad for you;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom