XL Center | The Boneyard

XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No sale. XL has been much better than Gampel this year.

Reaction Score
That's one of the dumbest comments after this loss that I've seen. UConn made a layup 20 seconds into the game. We didn't score again for 4 minutes. We didn't score in the second half until there was under 13 minutes left in the game. Blame the crowd if it helps you sleep tonight, but the play and the coaching was awful today and that's why we lost.

Reaction Score
All things considered I thought the crowd was very solid. Team didn't give them much of a reason to cheer but they stayed in it and were ready to explode if we ever took the lead

Reaction Score
I was at the UConn vs.Cincinnati game in which UConn lost 70-67. The game was played on campus at Gampel. With 6:52 left in the game and UConn down 1 Jeremy Lamb was fouled while taking a 3 pointer by Sean Kilpatrick. Lamb made all 3 three throws to put UConn up 1. The next possession for Cincinnati was the most pivotal of the game. The majority of the crowd sat on their hands on the ensuing Cincinnati possession. Cashmere Wright drained a 3 pointer and Cincinnati never trailed again. Home court is HUGE and many of the UConn faithful that night were straight up disinterested.

Reaction Score
I was at the UConn vs.Cincinnati game in which UConn lost 70-67. The game was played on campus at Gampel. With 6:52 left in the game and UConn down 1 Jeremy Lamb was fouled while taking a 3 pointer by Sean Kilpatrick. Lamb made all 3 three throws to put UConn up 1. The next possession for Cincinnati was the most pivotal of the game. The majority of the crowd sat on their hands on the ensuing Cincinnati possession. Cashmere Wright drained a 3 pointer and Cincinnati never trailed again. Home court is HUGE and many of the UConn faithful that night were straight up disinterested.
"many of the UConn faithful that night were straight up disinterested."

Analogous to the team and coach today.

Reaction Score
All things considered I thought the crowd was very solid. Team didn't give them much of a reason to cheer but they stayed in it and were ready to explode if we ever took the lead

The way the team plays is the way the crows flows. If Uconn plays well the crowd is pumped, if were playing half-ass so is the crowd (until we mount a comeback like we did agaist WV). How can you say the crowd was solid..im a season ticket holder in section 116 row m. When we were down 3 or 4 with a minute to go 30 percent of the crowd was walking out the door..We almost had a chance to send it to OT and there would of been 4,000 less fans. We need to step it up in the remaining games we have left. Lets go Huskies, do something.

Reaction Score
That's one of the dumbest comments after this loss that I've seen. UConn made a layup 20 seconds into the game. We didn't score again for 4 minutes. We didn't score in the second half until there was under 13 minutes left in the game. Blame the crowd if it helps you sleep tonight, but the play and the coaching was awful today and that's why we lost.

Not my comment (see the link in the OP), more like looking for a reaction. Seeing that in the past, there have been strong advocates against the XL center, I just wanted to test the waters.

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous how people still always manage to complain about the XL Center. I got season tickets to both Gample and XL. Both venues can be extremely loud and both can at times be extremely dead. Bottom line is the fans need something to cheer for.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I was at the game today and the crowd definitely tried to energize the team on several occasions. Calhoun even mentioned how good the crowd was in his post-game presser, but that the team didn't feed off it, for whatever reason. Not much more you can do as a fan at that point.

Reaction Score
99.9% of the time I'm all for getting on the crowd for not sparking the team, but honestly, today's game was one of the few instances where I can't really blame the crowd at all for not getting loud. I'm as crazy a UConn fan as you'll find, but really, even I wouldn't have gotten out of my seat today. The performance was that bad.

That said, we do have some pretty sh!tty fans as far as game involvment/participation goes. I watch other games on TV, and I often find myself thinking, "Man, if we could have a home court advantage like that, it would help our team so much". Think K-State or Duke.

Obviously moving the students mid-court would help a great deal, but we need EVERYBODY to get into the game if we really want to have an intimidating home court advantage. Watching teams like Cincy and Notre Dame beat us at home makes me sick.

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous how people still always manage to complain about the XL Center. I got season tickets to both Gample and XL. Both venues can be extremely loud and both can at times be extremely dead. Bottom line is the fans need something to cheer for.

Yeah agreed; great crowd for a noon start--the place seemed pretty packed and the student section was excellent. Especially given how poorly the team played, the building stayed into the game. There's a lot of things you can blame today's loss on but the XL Center isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
Today the crowd got loud when the team was down, trying to spur them on.
This. You can not blame the crowd for being disappointed after an 8 minute scoreless drought.... that is embarrassing. There were multiple times where the crowd tried to supply energy to the team... yet the team still seems lethargic after one bad thing goes wrong. While I agree that we don't have the best crowd in the country, you really can not blame them -- Think about how frustrating it is to watch the offense.

Energy is a point that needs to be emphasized. The team looks like they have none. I don't know why but everything is so stagnant. Boatright seems like the only one with hop in his step out there.

Reaction Score
On the spectrum of "stupid to blame for losing," blaming the crowd comes somewhere between blaming the refs and blaming the fact that you broke some habit you formed 15 years ago because you thought it brought the team good luck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not my comment (see the link in the OP), more like looking for a reaction. Seeing that in the past, there have been strong advocates against the XL center, I just wanted to test the waters.

That's BS. If you post it you have to own it. that's the "rules."

Reaction Score
That's BS. If you post it you have to own it. that's the "rules."

All I remember was two years ago, every game I went to the XL center was freaking dead except the student section. Granted, that year didn't offer much to root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom