XL Center Makeover Comes With Hefty Price Tag | Page 4 | The Boneyard

XL Center Makeover Comes With Hefty Price Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
https://m.soundcloud.com/the-whaler-guys/shut-yer-blow-hole-pc8

Listen to 27 minute on. That is where I got it from. Plus this:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2014/08/16/report-devils-to-lose-money-in-2014-15/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...-devils-being-crushed-by-230-million-of-debt/

230 million in debt. It's not all about the DMA, MSA, market, tv etc.
The islanders play in a 15,795 (60 more than XL) in a glorified AHL rink. 13,000 or so are acceptable to watch hockey. How Bettman allows this..... I don't get it.

Attendance so far:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Out of the teams I mentioned In the prior post, who are in the bottom 5?
The Barclays isn't made for hockey...but it is FAR from a glorified AHL rink! You are reaching with some of your comments regarding arenas. And your comment that the Devils are in trouble...fat chance they leave the Rock for a LONG time!

Reaction Score
Oh my word, O.K. I take everything back I heard about the New Jersey Devils being in trouble.
I NEVER said the devils or the islanders are moving here. All I said was "give us 1 from the 3",. And then, All I said was "market? we are a better market than…."
That's it. I know our hockey market is debatable. I agree. Let's not go down that road.

I said ARI, FLA, CAR, NYI and "possibly" the devils are in trouble. What is "trouble"??? Trouble must mean different things to me and you. I was looking at attendance, I wasn't saying "OMG, the yotes, canes, panthers, isles, and devils are all possibly moving to Hartford". "Trouble" does not = moving trucks to me. We should build an arena that could possibly house an NHL team. This is being sold as a Uconn project and should really benefit Uconn, the student athletes, the fans, sports fandom overall, we can maybe get sellouts again, a better conference, etc. This is not being sold as an NHL arena. IF it happens, SWEET, awesome. I"m not counting on it, but trying to drum up support and not constant negativity even if it's reality.

O.K. I'll break down my story of how I heard it about the devils:
On fasttrak: Someone on the bus said: "Devils were at the BU game", I thought in my head… Scouts,
he said, nah, malloy was here, blah, blah, I thought, O.K. Maybe the AHL team. Nah, he said NJ is in trouble… End of story. I wrote a post about it here under: "rumor" and got a bunch of flak. Then I hear that podcast. I read about the 230 million in debt. Fan not liking the move to newark. I don't know much about NJ devils, but it seems the fans haven't been showing up and are near bottom in attendance. End of story… I then wrote what I wrote and then provided those links. I know NO more than that. They probably won' leave the rock. Sorry, probably wrong of me to assume trouble.

Barclays sucks for hockey. Saw the isles 2nd games there against WPG and the UConn game against ND. place sucks for hockey. FDNY99, really only like ~13,000 are acceptable for hockey. That is NOT acceptable for the NHL. Webster bank in bridgeport provides a better islander game day experience than Barlcays. Something needs to be done. I heard about this 5 year out clause, but islanders fans have no proof of it. Wang said it was "iron clad" for 25 year There is a NY Post article about a 5 year out clause, that's it. I don't trust the NY Post.

Dude, I really like this forum/board. I didn't go to Uconn. I never played hockey. The whalers left when I was 13 and was crushed. I stopped paying attention to the game until last year and started back up with Uconn's 1st hockey game in Hartford. I now have ST to hockey, football, soccer, and bball. Call me an idiot all you want brasssbonanzaaa. But it kinda sucks that I have to defend my posts everytime I post here about hockey. It sucks and starting to get old.
I try and research and inform myself as much as I can. typing on the phone at works sucks and it's hard to get out all my thoughts in a clear manner that makes sense. I know this is a lot, lets drop it, and I hope they build a respectable arena for both Uconn and the NHL.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So my suggestion is take the $250M to build light rail from the Rent to Gampel and use the Rent lots as offsite parking. FFC fans don't have to drive all the way to Storrs. Plus UConn students can use the train to get to the football games. As a bonus you can designate it a commuter rail system and get Federal funding. It will help develop the eastern part of the state and will support the new tech park at UConn. It's genius in it's simplicity.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading at the point where you believed the Devils were at the BU-UConn game because they're scouting the arena/location to move to.

Reaction Score
So my suggestion is take the $250M to build light rail from the Rent to Gampel and use the Rent lots as offsite parking. FFC fans don't have to drive all the way to Storrs. Plus UConn students can use the train to get to the football games. As a bonus you can designate it a commuter rail system and get Federal funding. It will help develop the eastern part of the state and will support the new tech park at UConn. It's genius in it's simplicity.

Love the idea... but $250 million would barely get you to Manchester via light rail. It's expensive.

http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-lrt00capcost.htm

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Not exactly. One of the key reasons that the prior owners of the Red Sox sold the team was because they wanted a new stadium and couldn't get it done in the face of the quagmire that Boston politics are. There were 2 legitimate proposals for a new Fenway - one right next door and a second in Seaport district. Today's Fenway Park is just about maxed out with respect to the number of seats and amenities that can be put into its footprint and 110+ year old frame. When the next stadium arms race launches, the Sox maybe stuck.

Sox are 4th in revenue at 370M/year even with a small park.

Reaction Score
Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport is a AHL arena...and like I said before the Barclays while I agree sucks for hockey is NO WHERE NEAR a glorified AHL arena. I'm not sure Wang is even the majority owner any more..I know he sold off some of the team. If you want to know what is going on with the Islanders lease at Barclays and the renovation at Nassau Coliseum try to follow the articles in Newsday....they have been and are spot on about the renovation project there and parts of the Islanders lease in Brooklyn. The Islanders are dealing right now with the fallout from moving to Brookyn with their fan base. I tell all my friends in the firehouse "you are lucky you can still take a train and see your team...they didn't move half way down the coast to another state" constantly. They are having a tough time getting over going to Brooklyn to see the team play...add that to the LIE/Expressway daily traffic nightmare and it explains it. They also didn't have the greatest attendance the last few years in Nassau anyway (when you can buy a ticket on stub hub for the Islanders cheaper than the Sound Tigers there is an issue). Of all the teams in the NHL that COULD (and this is a HUGE if) be "attainable" for Hartford..IMHO and I have said it before with their 5 year out it may be the Islanders. They aren't going back to Nassau..that place is being downsized to less than 14,000 (somewhere in the 13,000 range).
Oh my word, O.K. I take everything back I heard about the New Jersey Devils being in trouble.
I NEVER said the devils or the islanders are moving here. All I said was "give us 1 from the 3",. And then, All I said was "market? we are a better market than…."
That's it. I know our hockey market is debatable. I agree. Let's not go down that road.

I said ARI, FLA, CAR, NYI and "possibly" the devils are in trouble. What is "trouble"??? Trouble must mean different things to me and you. I was looking at attendance, I wasn't saying "OMG, the yotes, canes, panthers, isles, and devils are all possibly moving to Hartford". "Trouble" does not = moving trucks to me. We should build an arena that could possibly house an NHL team. This is being sold as a Uconn project and should really benefit Uconn, the student athletes, the fans, sports fandom overall, we can maybe get sellouts again, a better conference, etc. This is not being sold as an NHL arena. IF it happens, SWEET, awesome. I"m not counting on it, but trying to drum up support and not constant negativity even if it's reality.

O.K. I'll break down my story of how I heard it about the devils:
On fasttrak: Someone on the bus said: "Devils were at the BU game", I thought in my head… Scouts,
he said, nah, malloy was here, blah, blah, I thought, O.K. Maybe the AHL team. Nah, he said NJ is in trouble… End of story. I wrote a post about it here under: "rumor" and got a bunch of flak. Then I hear that podcast. I read about the 230 million in debt. Fan not liking the move to newark. I don't know much about NJ devils, but it seems the fans haven't been showing up and are near bottom in attendance. End of story… I then wrote what I wrote and then provided those links. I know NO more than that. They probably won' leave the rock. Sorry, probably wrong of me to assume trouble.

Barclays sucks for hockey. Saw the isles 2nd games there against WPG and the UConn game against ND. place sucks for hockey. FDNY99, really only like ~13,000 are acceptable for hockey. That is NOT acceptable for the NHL. Webster bank in bridgeport provides a better islander game day experience than Barlcays. Something needs to be done. I heard about this 5 year out clause, but islanders fans have no proof of it. Wang said it was "iron clad" for 25 year There is a NY Post article about a 5 year out clause, that's it. I don't trust the NY Post.

Dude, I really like this forum/board. I didn't go to Uconn. I never played hockey. The whalers left when I was 13 and was crushed. I stopped paying attention to the game until last year and started back up with Uconn's 1st hockey game in Hartford. I now have ST to hockey, football, soccer, and bball. Call me an idiot all you want brasssbonanzaaa. But it kinda sucks that I have to defend my posts everytime I post here about hockey. It sucks and starting to get old.
I try and research and inform myself as much as I can. typing on the phone at works sucks and it's hard to get out all my thoughts in a clear manner that makes sense. I know this is a lot, lets drop it, and I hope they build a respectable arena for both Uconn and the NHL.

Reaction Score
Here's my idea. Move the Isles to Bridgeport, build a pontoon bridge from Port Jefferson, and call them the Long Island Sounders!!!!

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Putting Barclay's seating issues aside for hockey, which I agree with, the Islanders will not be moving back to the renovated Nassau Coliseum as 1) its being downsized from 18 K to 13K, too small for an NHL team, and 2) the folks who own Barclay's are also leading the Colesium reconstruction and are not likely to shoot themselves in the rear.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-130-million-makeover-fewer-seats-more-retail

PS - The entire project is projected to cost about $260 million with $130 of that going to the Coliseum renovation itself.

Reaction Score
Putting Barclay's seating issues aside for hockey, which I agree with, the Islanders will not be moving back to the renovated Nassau Coliseum as 1) its being downsized from 18 K to 13K, too small for an NHL team, and 2) the folks who own Barclay's are also leading the Colesium reconstruction and are not likely to shoot themselves in the rear.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-130-million-makeover-fewer-seats-more-retail

PS - The entire project is projected to cost about $260 million with $130 of that going to the Coliseum renovation itself.
They are also required to put a AHL team in there after the renovation is done

Reaction Score
Wang gambled and put his faith into Nassau County politics instead of getting in on the Barclay's project. That arena is no where near hockey friendly but they have a sweetheart deal that ensures a profit no matter what. How about those clowns in Nassau County? What a bunch of clowns.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize that Nassau revamp was so small, seems dumb to make an AHL/D-League arena that big. Either way, they're still not moving the Islanders to Hartford. No chance. Wouldn't shock me if they try and do major renovations to Barclays if they're going to stay there permanently. Don't know if that's doable, but the seating setup as it stands now is an abject disaster.

Reaction Score
Wang gambled and put his faith into Nassau County politics instead of getting in on the Barclay's project. That arena is no where near hockey friendly but they have a sweetheart deal that ensures a profit no matter what. How about those clowns in Nassau County? What a bunch of clowns.
The county lost...BUT the Town of Hempstead Supervisor screwed the pooch BIG time when she railroaded the Lighthouse project that he proposed and was going to bankroll on his own.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They can't do major adjustments at Barclays without blowing up the entire thing and rebuilding it. This is what they've got.

Reaction Score
Just curious. What makes Barclays a good basketball but a horrible hockey arena?

Reaction Score
Just curious. What makes Barclays a good basketball but a horrible hockey arena?
Sightlines. It was built as a basketball-only arena, thus the structure of the seating bowl is centered around only a basketball court, instead of the 200x85 hockey rink. Therefore, when they rig a hockey rink in there, they have to push into the seating bowl to do it, creating a large number of horribly obstructed view seats. Like this: https://snyislanders.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/photo-2-2.jpg
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nhl/blog/061813_barclays.jpg

Reaction Score
Sightlines. It was built as a basketball-only arena, thus the structure of the seating bowl is centered around only a basketball court, instead of the 200x85 hockey rink. Therefore, when they rig a hockey rink in there, they have to push into the seating bowl to do it, creating a large number of horribly obstructed view seats. Like this: https://snyislanders.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/photo-2-2.jpg
GREAT place to see a concert too

Reaction Score
One of those things that make you wonder whether you should laugh or cry. Islanders might as well move back to the old rink.

Reaction Score
GREAT place to see a concert too
Don't know if this is sarcastic, but I saw one there last year and it was pretty good. Better than MSG actually, echoes there were terrible.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this is sarcastic, but I saw one there last year and it was pretty good. Better than MSG actually, echoes there were terrible.
Not sarcastic in the least...truthful. Barclays
Was made for the Nets and concerts.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Not sarcastic in the least...truthful. Barclays Was made for the Nets and concerts.

My boss is a big Isles fan. Has been a couple of times already. Hates it for hockey.

Reaction Score
The county lost...BUT the Town of Hempstead Supervisor screwed the pooch BIG time when she railroaded the Lighthouse project that he proposed and was going to bankroll on his own.
Didn't the deal breaker have something to do with the height of the buildings? Talk about looking for a reason to be incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom