Xavier in NIT Finals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier in NIT Finals

Reaction Score
Win the NIT championship or lose in the NCAA playin game.....pick one
In retrospect, surely a winning NIT run would be preferable to a play-in game loss. If a genie told me those were my only 2 choices and I had to pick one, I'd pick the NIT championship. But since things don't work like that, I'd rather make the NCAA tournament than the NIT, even though, if a team is on the bubble, it has a much better chance of winning the NIT than it does of winning 2+ games in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Jeez, what does that say about Steele that they lose 6 of 7 and 8 of 10 to choke their way out of the NCAA Tournament, fire him, and then his replacement wins 5 games in a row and the NIT?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Jeez, what does that say about Steele that they lose 6 of 7 and 8 of 10 to choke their way out of the NCAA Tournament, fire him, and then his replacement wins 5 games in a row and the NIT?
Some time during their losing streak (before the BET), I was startled to hear Steele rather casually express his frustration like, “I just can't get these guys to play how I want them to." It was very unguarded and telling, and they showed up that way until the NIT.

Xavier’s second half crushing of Creighton after a 19-point halftime deficit in Omaha was one of the true sports marvels I've watched in 2022. It colored my perception of both teams for the rest of the regular season. I'm thankful that I don't bet, or I'd have lost money on both teams.

Reaction Score

NCAA Tournament 10 out of 10 times.

Edit add on: I remember in 2019-2020 when we were rolling late in the season but still were outside looking in for the tournament. None of us would have been okay missing the tournament for an NIT run.

Reaction Score
Depends on who you are. Among the NOOB, UConn, Villanova, maybe Marquettethe NIT means the season was a fail. Seton Hall, Providence, it is a great accomplishment. DePaul it is a miracle.

Reaction Score
Depends on who you are. Among the NOOB, UConn, Villanova, maybe Marquettethe NIT means the season was a fail. Seton Hall, Providence, it is a great accomplishment. DePaul it is a miracle.
Are you sure your take still applies to Providence? I know we love to hate them, which to me actually signifies we see them as a rival, at some level, but, over the last 9 seasons, Cooley has taken them to the dance 6 times, and would have been 7 if 2020 tournament was not canceled. I’m sure their fans are at the point where the NIT is a letdown. I’m sure it was for Xavier as well. But, when you win, you celebrate. But I’d rather get to the Dance and lose 8 days of the week.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Anyone old enough remembers when a few teams wouid pick the NIT over the NCAA. The NCAA I think was limited to 32 teams, with one team per conference. The season champ - with only the ACC having a ost season tourney and if that team wasn’t the regular season champ, the season champ was out of luck. Can’t recall what they did about any at large teams. A few leagues didn’t get auto bids, the Yancon lost theirs while I was at UConn even though UConn had just done pretty well two years in a row with the auto bud. Pissed us off. UConn actually turned down an NIT bid the next year.
Well, in those days the NCAA was only a contest to see who would lose to UCLA.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well, in those days the NCAA was only a contest to see who would lose to UCLA.
Maybe. But “those days” actually preceded the arrival of John Wooden.

Reaction Score
By the way, congratulations to Xavier. They have shown that they care about nothing so much as winning! Their new head coach was fired from Arizona after his assistant went to jail, but he knew nothing! I guess Calipari and Pitino weren’t available? But then again, Xavier was also implicated in the same scandal,so slime to slime is perfect. Welcome to the New Big East. Xavier is the preseason favorite for theMike Jarvis Award for the biggest slimewards in the conference! Exciting indeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom