WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the confusion is that my argument isn't that not inviting BYU cost them money, but that inviting them would eventually cost them money.

Yes, under the existing contract they had they BYU entering as team 10 as opposed or in addition to TCU (as 11) they wouldn't of cost the conference any money, but their stubbornness and ESPN/FOX's general dissatisfaction with the school could cost the conference money in the future.

That's all I am getting at.

Ok.
My bad for misunderstanding where you were going with this.
I totally agree with your last statement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok.
My bad for misunderstanding where you were going with this.
I totally agree with your last statement.

No worries, man. It can be more than confusing here at times.

Reaction Score
No worries, man. It can be more than confusing here at times.

For some reason, I was under the impression you were advocating for BYU.

I don't dislike the school, but TCU fans painted a good picture of what it would have been like to be conference partners with BYU.

Reaction Score
For some reason, I was under the impression you were advocating for BYU.

I don't dislike the school, but TCU fans painted a good picture of what it would have been like to be conference partners with BYU.

My overall point was that I don't buy the argument that BYU is a non-starter just because they are "difficult" if adding them would have actually added significant monetary value to the conference.

However, as your link illustrated, their hardheadedness turned off ESPN/FOX so in this case them being difficult not only was a strike against them from a basic day-to-day business standpoint, but since it also hurt their ability to make money moving forward, then it totally makes sense why they aren't a real candidate.

In short:

There are a lot of jerks in this world people in business put up with because they make them money. If you're not making people money and even hurting that future earning ability, it doesn't matter how strong your "Brand" is, nobody is going to put up with your crap.

Reaction Score
Sorry for having derailed the discussion on this thread.

Getting back to the OP's post, what are your impressions of what was discussed in that interview. Could this be an indication of where the Big 12 is going?

I will be honest and I am sorry if I step on any toes here, but from my perspective, I am not a fan of Cincinnati in the Big 12. I don't see that school bringing much to the conference. Maybe you guys could enlighten me on what Cincy has to offer (other than being a school close to WVU).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Cincy brings enough market-presence wise to justify the add (see @Dooley analysis). The geographic bridge to WV should not be discounted IMHO. Getting WV a regional partner or two or three may still be somewhat important. Louisville/Pitt may have been better, but they aren't available right now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Maybe you guys could enlighten me on what Cincy has to offer (other than being a school close to WVU).

Their basketball team plays good defense and they have skyline chili?

They are just so vanilla and ordinary at pretty much everything.

I don't have a problem with them necessarily, and they are like our biggest rival right now, but I just get a very blah feeling when I think of them.

Reaction Score

Getting back to the OP's post, what are your impressions of what was discussed in that interview. Could this be an indication of where the Big 12 is going?

I will be honest and I am sorry if I step on any toes here, but from my perspective, I am not a fan of Cincinnati in the Big 12. I don't see that school bringing much to the conference. Maybe you guys could enlighten me on what Cincy has to offer (other than being a school close to WVU).

Cincinnati fits in well athletically with the Big 12, and is very competitive most years in both football and basketball. It's a very good school with an endowment well over a billion dollars, nearly 45k students. Cincinnati the city is only the 36th-largest DMA, but it's a major league city.

Ask yourself this: if Cincinnati had opened 16 years earlier and was named the University of Ohio, would you feel better about adding them to the league?

Reaction Score
I think Cincy brings enough market-presence wise to justify the add (see @Dooley analysis). The geographic bridge to WV should not be discounted IMHO. Getting WV a regional partner or two or three may still be somewhat important. Louisville/Pitt may have been better, but they aren't available right now.
The question on Cincinnati is whether enough people in Ohio would actually watch them. Sure, they're located in a good spot, but it's no secret Ohio State is the #1 draw in Ohio and as you go south from Cincinnati, it's all UK. So while there's a good segment of the population of the city that are UC people, are there enough there and in the surrounding areas to justify what a B12 network would charge? That question doesn't exist for UConn or BYU.

Reaction Score
From the perspective of a Big 12 fan ( I mean a fan of the Big 12 before WVU was invited to join), we would like to recover some of the respect we had as an all-sports power conference.

We lost "brand name" schools. I don't see Cincinnati even coming close to fulfilling that desire.
Also, Cincinnati is not a flagship, land grant institution.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati fits in well athletically with the Big 12, and is very competitive most years in both football and basketball. It's a very good school with an endowment well over a billion dollars, nearly 45k students. Cincinnati the city is only the 36th-largest DMA, but it's a major league city.

Ask yourself this: if Cincinnati had opened 16 years earlier and was named the University of Ohio, would you feel better about adding them to the league?
But if they were the University of Ohio, they would be run differently than they are, their funding would be different, mission would be different, etc. Being a flagship state university is far different from being a state university in a specific city.

UT - if you want brand names, Cincinnati isn't going to bring it. They're going to consistently be good at football and basketball, but likely never a powerhouse in either. They'll consistently have a good following and good attendance, but likely never break and records or stand out among the crowd. They'll consistently be a reliable Honda Accord.

Brand names in G5 expansion candidates are few and far between. UConn women's BB of course is one, but the sport is too far down the totem pole for it to matter much. Our men's team, while not having the historical aura of KU, is a national brand and as close you'll get from any of the schools available, including BYU football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is difficult for me, as I find them "iffy" too. They are close to WVU. They are in a good sized midwestern/mid-south market, although they are clearly #2 in southern Ohio and are likely #3 in Northern KY. The brand is meh. Academically they are pretty decent with good grad school programs. Enrollment size is pretty solid too. Football is competitive. Basketball is competitive. Neither have a lot of upside in my view, but they certainly aren't likely to become Rutgers or BC.

Do they look like a Big XII land grant U? No. But they look considerably better than Memphis and USF. UCF is a closer call. BYU as a school, as a brand and athletically is superior, but you know that. They have different warts.

Reaction Score
Their crimes against pasta should be enough to relegate them to the MAC.
We bring the best pizza and fresh whole belly fried clams and other great seafood to the conference, much better than skyline.

Reaction Score
This is difficult for me, as I find them "iffy" too. They are close to WVU. They are in a good sized midwestern/mid-south market, although they are clearly #2 in southern Ohio and are likely #3 in Northern KY. The brand is meh. Academically they are pretty decent with good grad school programs. Enrollment size is pretty solid too. Football is competitive. Basketball is competitive. Neither have a lot of upside in my view, but they certainly aren't likely to become Rutgers or BC.

Do they look like a Big XII land grant U? No. But they look considerably better than Memphis and USF. UCF is a closer call. BYU as a school, as a brand and athletically is superior, but you know that. They have different warts.

lol.

I haven't seen much talk anywhere about Memphis and UCF/USF being top target schools for the Big 12. Thank God for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We bring the best pizza and fresh whole belly fried clams and other great seafood to the conference, much better than skyline.

I hate to sound stupid, but what is skyline chili? I must be missing something here.

Reaction Score
But if they were the University of Ohio, they would be run differently than they are, their funding would be different, mission would be different, etc. Being a flagship state university is far different from being a state university in a specific city.

UT - if you want brand names, Cincinnati isn't going to bring it. They're going to consistently be good at football and basketball, but likely never a powerhouse in either. They'll consistently have a good following and good attendance, but likely never break and records or stand out among the crowd. They'll consistently be a reliable Honda Accord.

Brand names in G5 expansion candidates are few and far between. UConn women's BB of course is one, but the sport is too far down the totem pole for it to matter much. Our men's team, while not having the historical aura of KU, is a national brand and as close you'll get from any of the schools available, including BYU football.

From my observation, UConn is becoming increasingly popular with Big 12 fans (for all the obvious reasons).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I hate to sound stupid, but what is skyline chili? I must be missing something here.

Think of like... Nathan's... But for chili? I guess?

I'm guessing a Texan wouldn't be impressed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Skyline Chili is unique in that it is not chili con carne, the meat dish that originated in (and is the state dish of) Texas. Instead, Cincinnati-style chili is a sauce usually used over spaghetti or hot dogs, containing a unique spice blend that gives it a very distinct taste."

Their blasphemy against chili is more than enough reason to keep them out of the Big 12. IMHO.

(Oh and I once heard someone at BYU say they hate Texas. Just thought you'd want to know.)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You put chili on my spaghetti and my grandmother will rise from the grave and smack every human within arms distance with a wooden spoon. And deservedly so.
Chili, onions and cheese. I'm not embarrassed to say I love me some Skyline chili.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom