Cincinnati
South Florida

To:

Baylor
Kansas State
TCU
Oklahoma
Kansas

Their methods were madness, but there can be no debate that this is a great move for them in terms of prestige.

Reaction Score
While I will miss the 15 minute ride to the Rent for a WVU road game, I am already booked for Austin in October.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly, Oklahoma is an awesome home game but as a fan of UConn and Northeast football in general, Baylor, K-State, TCU and Kansas do absolutely nothing for me.

Disclaimer - not debating anything here except personal preference. As a UConn fan I would rather play Rutgers and Syracuse than that schedule.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Oklahoma is an awesome home game but as a fan of UConn and Northeast football in general, Baylor, K-State, TCU and Kansas do absolutely nothing for me.

Disclaimer - not debating anything here except personal preference. As a UConn fan I would rather play Rutgers and Syracuse than that schedule.

I will miss playing teams that are more local for me being in CT, already miss the games at BC. But even if WVU stayed in the BE, 3 teams needed to be replaced and some more added. Some of those new teams are as far away or farther than the B12 teams. Home games are an 8 hour drive for us, so we are use to each game being a weekend commitment.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I will miss playing teams that are more local for me being in CT, already miss the games at BC. But even if WVU stayed in the BE, 3 teams needed to be replaced and some more added. Some of those new teams are as far away or farther than the B12 teams. Home games are an 8 hour drive for us, so we are use to each game being a weekend commitment.

Not argument from me here. I know I'm definitely in the minority here with my opinion.

I may be one of the few out there, but I loved Big East Football, with the current 8 team league. I didn't really follow college football before UConn joined the Big East/when I got to UConn so this is all I know.

One of the saddest days for me as a sports fan was hearing the Pitt / Syracuse news. I had gone to the Iowa State game that Friday wearing a freaking Big East Football sweatshirt for christ sake!

Reaction Score

It's great knowing you have no more need to post here anymore

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have to say that although I'm a new member to The Boneyard (hold applause), I have been reading posts for a couple of months now. Most everything I've seen from WhaleEER has been classy. Not sure if I missed an incident of some sort, and I understand the hatred for WVU right now, but I'm guessing WhaleEER is "good people"....

Reaction Score
I have been posting here (scout) for years and will continue.
I hope you don't mind me saying, but Iron Maiden is overrated in the Dickenson years! Di'Anno years were great.

Reaction Score
I have to say that although I'm a new member to The Boneyard (hold applause), I have been reading posts for a couple of months now. Most everything I've seen from WhaleEER has been classy. Not sure if I missed an incident of some sort, and I understand the hatred for WVU right now, but I'm guessing WhaleEER is "good people"....
Welcome to the online University of Connecticut Health Center psychiatric ward.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Welcome to the online University of Connecticut Health Center psychiatric ward.

We seem to debate a lot on here, but that post is pure gold, lol.

Reaction Score
WVU should go 8-4 in their first year in the Big 12. By my rough calculations it will take them about 5 years to make up the $20M, assuming the Big East per team TV money is the same as it is now. Travel expenses will be somewhat higher and the WVU soccer team has to play in some crap league because the Big 12 doesn't know a soccer ball from a Frisbee. They will have to add another male sport, a sure money loser. With changes on the horizon re a possible playoff, funky Texas and maybe the addition of two more teams to the Big 12, the ultimate advantage to WVU remains unknown. Nebraska is certainly benefiting from the Big 10 and being away from Texas. BCU has turned into a loser on the fields and I am certain the ACC would want a do-over, although monetarily it is difficult to tell whether they are better off or not. They had 4,000 for their big BB upset of FSU and they have to be a drain on the conference. Duke may suck in FB but they make it up, at least, in BB and ACC pays equally to all.

Reaction Score
Use to be a big Eer fan. They now rank right up there with BC for programs I hope go right into oblivion. They handled this whole thing horribly and I can only believe they are an institution with leadership without any moral fiber.

duck* them!

Reaction Score
I'm with you uconndogs. WVU went from my 2nd favorite CFB team to the BCU side of the ledger. I was happy for them when they initially got the invite to the B12, and was actually hoping they would have gotten the SEC invite instead of Mizzou. From that point on though, the way their administration handled everything regarding their exit was disappointing. I would not have been bothered if they negotiated an early exit after 2012 season, but they took the low road, they screwed UConn and every other team in the BE on their way out the door. Karma is an interesting thing though, and does have a way of "coming back around".

Reaction Score
West Virginia's home conference schedule went from:

Syracuse
Rutgers
Cincinnati
South Florida

To:

Baylor
Kansas State
TCU
Oklahoma
Kansas

Their methods were madness, but there can be no debate that this is a great move for them in terms of prestige.

Eh. I see Oklahoma. That's it. The rest? Doesn't do anything for me.

Reaction Score
Use to be a big Eer fan. They now rank right up there with BC for programs I hope go right into oblivion. They handled this whole thing horribly and I can only believe they are an institution with leadership without any moral fiber.

duck* them!
I signed in just to LIKE this, but I more than like it. ;^)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They added two games against traditional programs per year TX/OU. That's it. That is what it takes to create "conference stability".

And people wonder why some of us blame ND for the demise of the BE.

A BE with ND WVU VT BC Pitt Syr Miami RU would have eventually added Uconn UL Cincy and Navy to get to 12.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Bob,

That is pretty much right on. kansas has had 1 good year isnce the Kennedy administration. If the big East had been able to add Notre Dame for football, it would have been fine...more than fine. If you look at the other conferences, pretty much all of them have 1-2 big names and a bunch of interchangeable parts. Big 10 has been callled the Big 2 for so long it isn't funny. Except when one or both have been in NCAA trouble, or the rare rebuilding year, which gives Wisconsin or Iowa a chance, Michigan-Ohio State is it. When was the last time Minnesota won the Big 10? Or Indiana?

The SEC probably has more good teams, but they also have Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vandy, Kentucky, now Missouri. South Carolina has had a mini-rennessaince under Spurrier, but they were awful for decades and it remains to be seen if they are ever much more than a pretty good team long term. Quick, name the best team in the PAC afterUSC and Oregon! Stanford had their lightening in a bottle quarterback with Luck, and as they did after the others, Plunkett, Elway, expect them to return to earth pretty quickly.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
TCU, Baylor and K State were better last year than the 4 Big East teams. Of course TCU and Baylor need to replace key losses, but there's more brand value with them than the Big East schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eh. I see Oklahoma. That's it. The rest? Doesn't do anything for me.

Four of five were ranked at the end of the year, more than our whole conference managed at any point last year. In the final AP poll they had spots 13, 14, 15 and 16.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bob,

That is pretty much right on. kansas has had 1 good year isnce the Kennedy administration. If the big East had been able to add Notre Dame for football, it would have been fine...more than fine. If you look at the other conferences, pretty much all of them have 1-2 big names and a bunch of interchangeable parts. Big 10 has been callled the Big 2 for so long it isn't funny. Except when one or both have been in NCAA trouble, or the rare rebuilding year, which gives Wisconsin or Iowa a chance, Michigan-Ohio State is it. When was the last time Minnesota won the Big 10? Or Indiana?

The SEC probably has more good teams, but they also have Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vandy, Kentucky, now Missouri. South Carolina has had a mini-rennessaince under Spurrier, but they were awful for decades and it remains to be seen if they are ever much more than a pretty good team long term. Quick, name the best team in the PAC afterUSC and Oregon! Stanford had their lightening in a bottle quarterback with Luck, and as they did after the others, Plunkett, Elway, expect them to return to earth pretty quickly.

It didn't happen, and so isn't worth discussing. Instead you can see what we actually have today, which does not compare favorably.

KU has only one BCS bowl win, but played in the Orange bowl in 69 and were ranked 3rd (Bobby Douglas, John Riggins). They were also good in 92 and 95 (I was there), and were ranked 11th in the final poll in 95. Remember Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown? Lately...ugh. Hope Charlie Weiss can do the job.

Reaction Score
Four of five were ranked at the end of the year, more than our whole conference managed at any point last year. In the final AP poll they had spots 13, 14, 15 and 16.

These conferences are intended to be long-term arrangements. Are Baylor, TCU, Kansas, in it for the long haul? I'm a seller, not a buyer.

Reaction Score
TCU, Baylor and K State were better last year than the 4 Big East teams. Of course TCU and Baylor need to replace key losses, but there's more brand value with them than the Big East schools.

Really, TCU and Baylor? Off what? I mean, Baylor had a good year but has been a bottom dweller for ages. TCU has come up over the last half-decade, but that coach leaves and it goes back to where it was. They are up there with Boise IMO. Flashes in the pan.

That being said, the future schedule for the new Big East is no great shakes, and for sure the Big12 is better.

Reaction Score
Let me add one more thing. Was anyone here more excited by the UConn games against Baylor than the games against Rutgers?

I know I wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34