WVU officially gone today; Pitt Cuse gone in 2013 (not 2012) | The Boneyard

WVU officially gone today; Pitt Cuse gone in 2013 (not 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"WVU officially headed to the Big 12.

The Big East Conference will announce Tuesday that West Virginia is no longer a league member following this season and will join the Big 12 for the 2012-13 academic season."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34834816

AND

"Sources told CBSSports.com that Pittsburgh and Syracuse won’t try to leave this summer, but will attempt to negotiate deals to allow them to join the ACC a year early in 2013. Unlike West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Syracuse have not pursued any legal action to get out of the Big East’s 27-month exit requirement and leave before 2014.

The main reason Pittsburgh and Syracuse are not trying to leave the Big East this season is both schools don’t want to be “any more disruptive to the Big East” for the coming season. If Pittsburgh and Syracuse left for the ACC this summer, the Big East could be down to only five football members."

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34834700

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'll wait for the league to explain the unexplainable. There has to be more to this than just cash.

Admittedly, my expectations are low, like $2 off your next meat-lovers pizza low.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This off the ESPN site:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-join-big-12-july-big-east-lawsuit-settlement

Don't let the door hit you on the way out scumbags. WVU now rivals BCU as a university I will love to hate.

I won't hate the Mounties. Their fans showed great compassion after Jasper Howard's murder, for which I'm forever grateful. They were given an escape route in the domino effect of realignment & took it. UConn would have done the same. They are not a geographic fit for the Big-12, but that's their problem.
In the ESPN article linked, it mentioned that the Big East hasn't had any success to date to get one of the new teams (Boise, Memphis) to join for the 2012 season as a replacement for the 'EERS. That may come to a head soon as there was a blurb in the Courant this morning that the Mountain West & C-USA will officially merge today to mend the injuries suffered from the Big East taking their teams in the future. I speculate that, as a byproduct of this merger, the Big East may yet pry loose one of them for this fall.

Reaction Score
I don't hate WVU. They did exactly what we would've done in their situation. I popped over to the WVU board and they are extremely happy with their new schedule - I checked it out and, just WOW! They are also happy that their future is now secure and they don't have to worry about realignment for the forseeable future (imho, the texas/ok stuff is over for good).

I wish UConn had such comfort. I feel like we are standing at the edge of a diving board for the last 9 years.

Reaction Score
As I have noted previously, $20M is a lot of money and will take some time to recoup. In addition FSU may be going after WVU for something, too. This simply shows that the WVU administration would slap its own mother to get to the Big12 for 2012. There may be another kicker in the agreement in that I suspect it will be more than $20M if the BE cannot get an eighth team for the Fall 2012, hence one reason for the secrecy. Pitt and SU will leave in 2013 and pay about $10M each, fair and decent coin, too. All in all, despite what many of you seem to think, a good deal. As for WVU, there is always a glow on changing conferences. We'll see how this works out long term-could be a Nebraska, could be a BCU. UConn will be fine for now and I suspect in the ACC when the time comes. The Marinotto bashing and the Memphis, etc. bashing is counter-productive and only partially accurate, sort of like Republican and Democratic rhetoric.

Reaction Score
As I have noted previously, $20M is a lot of money and will take some time to recoup. In addition FSU may be going after WVU for something, too. This simply shows that the WVU administration would slap its own mother to get to the Big12 for 2012. There may be another kicker in the agreement in that I suspect it will be more than $20M if the BE cannot get an eighth team for the Fall 2012, hence one reason for the secrecy. Pitt and SU will leave in 2013 and pay about $10M each, fair and decent coin, too. All in all, despite what many of you seem to think, a good deal. As for WVU, there is always a glow on changing conferences. We'll see how this works out long term-could be a Nebraska, could be a BCU. UConn will be fine for now and I suspect in the ACC when the time comes. The Marinotto bashing and the Memphis, etc. bashing is counter-productive and only partially accurate, sort of like Republican and Democratic rhetoric.

$2.5 million already paid, $5 million loaned by B12 institutions, $5 million gifted by B12 institutions, remaining $7.5 million will be money withheld from WVa from the BE. In all honesty, recouping $15 million in the B12 is not going to be that big of a deal.

Reaction Score
$2.5 million already paid, $5 million loaned by B12 institutions, $5 million gifted by B12 institutions, remaining $7.5 million will be money withheld from WVa from the BE. In all honesty, recouping $15 million in the B12 is not going to be that big of a deal.

As a matter of law, how easy it is for WVU to pay the amount is irrelevant. The issue effecting settlement discussions is what are the damages to the Big East of WVU leaving.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i youtubed country roads for one final goodbye to wvu. wvu will be missed by me. they were BE fball just like were BE bball. there bball program recently has been good as well and building with there pf and better recruting. same can be said for us building our fball program recently. they were a perfect fit for us in a confrence and they were all class post jazz. they play good soccer and aren't horrible at baseball among other sports, we worked well together in the BE. i hope we some how play them in the future OOC for several sports.

smh marinate

Reaction Score
As a matter of law, how easy it is for WVU to pay the amount is irrelevant. The issue effecting settlement discussions is what are the damages to the Big East of WVU leaving.

Well, that's been settled. The damages are $20M. There is no additional amount to be paid.

In passing, I think it's kind of sad that they say as part of the release that both parties are ratifying that the Big East by-laws remain in effect. Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has left ...

Reaction Score

Aren't you the one that tried to convince me that there was no possible way that WVa was leaving for the B12 in 2012 and my ideals on law were nothing but buzzwords and garbage?

Thank god it isn't 'triallawyer'.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Aren't you the one that tried to convince me that there was no possible way that WVa was leaving for the B12 in 2012 and my ideals on law were nothing but buzzwords and garbage?

In all fairness to BL, I think we all under estimated the incompetence of the Big East leadership and how weak-in-the-knees they would be on this!;)

Reaction Score
Settling a case does not equal weakness of the BE. Settling this case for $20M does...on the part of WVU. Testosterone and posturing don't play a part in the courtroom, except maybe with OJ's first jury.

Reaction Score
In all fairness to BL, I think we all under estimated the incompetence of the Big East leadership and how weak-in-the-knees they would be on this!;)

The second WVa stated their plan was to be a member of the B12 by 2012, it was no longer a question of when they would be gone from the BE, it was merely the amount of money that would be paid to do so. It was naive to believe anything else.

Reaction Score
Well, that's been settled. The damages are $20M. There is no additional amount to be paid.

In passing, I think it's kind of sad that they say as part of the release that both parties are ratifying that the Big East by-laws remain in effect. Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has left ...

It's basically just a good faith concession by WVU and the Big East to each other to smooth over the negotiations, effectively removing the allegations of contract breach from either side's argument, and turning the negotiations into one of waiving the by-laws in exchange for a financial concession.

In all likelihood, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will likely agree to the same thing in future negotiations with the league to leave in advance of the agreed upon waiting period.

Reaction Score

You won the case? I must have missed that. I read that WVU paid the Big East roughly $20M to settle the case.

Reaction Score
The second WVa stated their plan was to be a member of the B12 by 2012, it was no longer a question of when they would be gone from the BE, it was merely the amount of money that would be paid to do so. It was naive to believe anything else.

Actually, that may be right. If you assume WVU was willing to pay whatever amount it had to no matter what it was.

If that was the case, you were right. Was it? I haven't read anything saying the piggy bank was unlimited.

Reaction Score
Still preaching the law? Biz, we love you, but out here in the world, it's all about brute force.

Reaction Score
20 mil now or 5mil in two years the board took the 20 m now. They felt it was a better deal than fighting in court. I understand that. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom