WVU expected to vote in favor of hiking exit fee | The Boneyard

WVU expected to vote in favor of hiking exit fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/201110170087

Exit fee of $10 million. UofL still might abstain.

Once done, big question becomes, is it enough? And will the exit time be shortened from 27 months? It's one of those things everyone knows is a half-hearted attempt at "commitment" given the low figure.

At first Marinatto and basketball schools wanted 3X league revenues. That was shot down. Then they wanted 150% of the last year's revenue. That too was shot down. Now an exit fee just $3M more than CUSA.

But UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise would come no matter what. Navy is the big question. Navy comes, comes.

Also, if UofL abstains, what kind of message is that going to send?

Reaction Score

Once done, big question becomes, is it enough? And will the exit time be shortened from 27 months? It's one of those things everyone knows is a half-hearted attempt at "commitment" given the low figure.

At first Marinatto and basketball schools wanted 3X league revenues. That was shot down. Then they wanted 150% of the last year's revenue. That too was shot down. Now an exit fee just $3M more than CUSA.

But UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise would come no matter what. Navy is the big question. Navy comes, comes.

I'm just glad WVU looks to be on board. I doubt changing the 27 months exit requirement could be approved under the current circumstances.

Reaction Score
1. It has to be 27 months because of the BCS rules. You have to make sure you can add schools so the same 8 play together for 2 years with the departing schools before anyone departs.

2. LV not voting for it does nothing, and Trustees have their own butts to cover. LV not signing on to it would be a problem, but unless they know they are getting an invite they have no more choice than we have.

Reaction Score
Louisville is still firmly in the sights of the Big 12.

If Missouri leaves, all bets are off. The Missouri board meets Thursday. Lot of speculation that at that time, Missouri's decision will be made a la aTm.

Obviously, if UofL abstains (in effect a "no" vote) that will raise eyebrows.

Remember McNamara's article that the hoops schools break away if UConn or L'ville leave. From the hoops schools' perspective, basketball is diluted with Houston, UCF, SMU.

So much intrigue and suspense. Like watching the Red Sox clubhouse!

Reaction Score
If Mizzou doesn't leave, the SEC may stand at 13 for a year but it won't be longer than that. And the only conference they're raiding is the ACC. If they take 1, or 3 .....

Well, I don't want to tick Waylon off by begging so I won't go further.

Reaction Score

Well, for one, it makes Pitino look pretty foolish!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Mizzou doesn't leave, the SEC may stand at 13 for a year but it won't be longer than that. And the only conference they're raiding is the ACC. If they take 1, or 3 .....

Can you imagine, how awesome it would be if SEC raided ACC of FSU, Clemson and NC State?

It would suck to have to play under the banner of the ACC, but assuming they would get back to 14, that would leave us, Rutgers and WV. The old gang would be back!

Reaction Score
My buddies at Syracuse told me today they don't like that they're now the northern outpost in a Southern conference after seeing how poorly BC has been treated. What they want is for us to join and have the Northern Division include at least Syr,UConn, Pitt, BC, Rutgers and MD. The good old days would be back. Pipedream?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My buddies at Syracuse told me today they don't like that they're now the northern outpost in a Southern conference after seeing how poorly BC has been treated. What they want is for us to join and have the Northern Division include at least Syr,UConn, Pitt, BC, Rutgers and MD. The good old days would be back. Pipedream?

No. Reality in 6-8 years.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
6-8 months might be more realistic if realignment takes off the way I expect in to in the coming months. Then again, if the ACC doesn't get ND they may never add us.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
LOL. Right....conference expansion is about women's basketball and the promoting the values of the ATHLETE-student...

I think you missed the quote I was trying to provide you with:

"Long's ideal 14th team member would come from a state that touches the SEC boundaries (Missouri? Virginia Tech perhaps?), would not be a school in a state that already has an SEC team (it's not a set SEC policy but is the wish of SEC presidents, and that would eliminate Clemson, Florida State, Louisville), and would have an athletic program that had a strong fan base in an area that would bring additional TV markets."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think you missed the quote I was trying to provide you with:

"Long's ideal 14th team member would come from a state that touches the SEC boundaries (Missouri? Virginia Tech perhaps?), would not be a school in a state that already has an SEC team (it's not a set SEC policy but is the wish of SEC presidents, and that would eliminate Clemson, Florida State, Louisville), and would have an athletic program that had a strong fan base in an area that would bring additional TV markets."

Ah yeah I definitely did. Just was laughing at the Arky AD waxing poetic about this whole ordeal not being about money.

Reaction Score
That's a line that's been repeated many times throughout this, and may stem from the faction who are against FSU, Clemson, etc. That said, Arkansas was not one of those reported to be in that faction. Remains to be seen whether this is a smokescreen or reality. It's become obvious with the A&M move that the SEC is going about things EXTREMELY carefully in the media to prevent legal action. So this being a smokescreen is not at all unlikely.

Reaction Score
No. Reality in 6-8 years.
I am sure any conference would trip over themselves trying to get themselves into the massive recruiting pipelines in the Carolinas.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Ah yeah I definitely did. Just was laughing at the Arky AD waxing poetic about this whole ordeal not being about money.

Yeah I also found that humorous. They must think we're all too stupid to see through their explanations.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
That's a line that's been repeated many times throughout this, and may stem from the faction who are against FSU, Clemson, etc. That said, Arkansas was not one of those reported to be in that faction. Remains to be seen whether this is a smokescreen or reality. It's become obvious with the A&M move that the SEC is going about things EXTREMELY carefully in the media to prevent legal action. So this being a smokescreen is not at all unlikely.

Not unlikely, but I do see an exploration into VT's interest in the SEC before they go after FSU or Clemson.

Reaction Score
I am sure any conference would trip over themselves trying to get themselves into the massive recruiting pipelines in the Carolinas.
Just like when Nebraska left a conference with recruiting pipelines in Texas to join one with pipelines in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. It's about the eyeballs on TV and getting the money from the networks that come. People in NC religiously follow the four ACC schools in both football and basketball. Maybe not Wake or Duke football as much. But you can't just look at where the schools are located, but who the schools are and and what value they bring.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

By "conference" I assume you mean "school?" Well, funny you should say that. Five former Big East schools tripped over each other running out the door for that conference in the Carolinas. None of them are located in the Carolinas. Oh and by the way, each ACC school makes almost double each Big East school. But hey, rebuild that Big East! Give it another good old college try, Butchy!

Reaction Score
North Carolina is the 10th most populated state in the country. It has more people in it than NJ, or any other official BE state except Florida, where USF is 4th most popular, now that Pitt and SU left.

Reaction Score

Good luck with that

Reaction Score
I am sure North Carolina is more desirable than a Florida and Texas pipeline.

Reaction Score
By "conference" I assume you mean "school?" Well, funny you should say that. Five former Big East schools tripped over each other running out the door for that conference in the Carolinas. None of them are located in the Carolinas. Oh and by the way, each ACC school makes almost double each Big East school. But hey, rebuild that Big East! Give it another good old college try, Butchy!
And three of the schools that left a while ago didn't get any better in football than they already were. VT has been stable, while Miami and BC declined. Last I checked, Miami won a national title while a member of the Big East. And no, I meant conference.

Reaction Score
I am sure North Carolina is more desirable than a Florida and Texas pipeline.

It doesn't have to be more desirable. It just needs to be desirable. And it is. Many great players from many sports come from North Carolina.

Does it have as many great players as TX or FL? No. Does it have more than WV, CT, NJ, KY? Yes. I'd wager it's on par or better than Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom