WTNH reporting: NBC Sports' move to Stamford imminent... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WTNH reporting: NBC Sports' move to Stamford imminent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're right, we should just do nothing and let these well paying jobs go elsewhere.

Yes, because saying we shouldn't do something under certain arrangements is exactly the same as saying we shouldn't do anything at all.

Do us all a favor and stay home on election day from now on.

Reaction Score
You don't think that way. The fact that their facility would be almost impossible to relocate and replicate and will hopefully attract other firms to the area coupled with a hopefully fruitful partnership with UConn and Yale would be my guess to why they would not just pack up and leave and try to start all over again.
So if they build something once, they can't do it again? Why not?

And why won't they pay a return on our investment?

There's that "hope" again. I'm fine with investing, this isn't an investment, this is a bribe. If this fails, we get nothing, if this succeeds, we still get nothing. Except the hope that keeps you warm at night.

Reaction Score
So if they build something once, they can't do it again? Why not?

And why won't they pay a return on our investment?

There's that "hope" again. I'm fine with investing, this isn't an investment, this is a bribe. If this fails, we get nothing, if this succeeds, we still get nothing. Except the hope that keeps you warm at night.

:) We are giving them a $300m grant and they are investing $700m of their own money, secured with Fed grants, their own income, and other donations to build a world-class, state of the art facility in our fine state at the UConn Health Center. I'm sure if it actually fails to get built they'd have to pay the money back. It's not just giving them money for the hope that they actually build it. They are gauranteed to invest at least $700m in our state as the terms of the deal.

Reaction Score
:) We are giving them a $300m grant and they are investing $700m of their own money, secured with Fed grants, their own income, and other donations to build a world-class, state of the art facility in our fine state at the UConn Health Center. I'm sure if it actually fails to get built they'd have to pay the money back. It's not just giving them money for the hope that they actually build it. They are gauranteed to invest at least $700m in our state at the terms of the deal.

I'm not talking about whether it fails to get built. I'm talking about the fact we aren't asking for our money back over time.

All this money being handed over to corporations in this state under Malloy, I thought liberals were against corporate welfare?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Sorry to interupt your debate about Jackson Labs...........but do you know if they have a decent company basketball or flag football team? We are hurting for some quality programs in the Big East's geographical footprint, and are very desperate! If so, it might be the best $300MM that Malloy has ever spent if he can get them to commit to coming to the Big East! We better act quick before the ACC or Big 12 grabs them first!;)

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about whether it fails to get built. I'm talking about the fact we aren't asking for our money back over time.

All this money being handed over to corporations in this state under Malloy, I thought liberals were against corporate welfare?

I'm not against corporate welfare per se. I think it is a good way to get corporations to do the things that you feel would benefit your state, city, country.....I'm against corporations paying no taxes period and getting tax breaks for sending jobs overseas instead of tax breaks for bringing jobs back to America.

Can this thread be moved to the cesspool or somewhere more appropriate?

Reaction Score
I'm not against corporate welfare per se. I think it is a good way to get corporations to do the things that you feel would benefit your state, city, country.....I'm against corporations paying no taxes period and getting tax breaks for sending jobs overseas instead of tax breaks for bringing jobs back to America.

Can this thread be moved to the cesspool or somewhere more appropriate?

Instead of spending half a billion dollars we don't have on ESPN, a ticket broker, an insurance company, (possibly NBC) and some labs, why not spread those hundreds of millions out by cutting taxes to benefit all of the employers in the state who are already here and invested in the state? Why not reward the companies here that are struggling to fund our ever-increasing budget, instead of bribing others on the backs of the people already here?

Reaction Score
Instead of spending half a billion dollars we don't have on ESPN, a ticket broker, an insurance company, (possibly NBC) and some labs, why not spread those hundreds of millions out by cutting taxes to benefit all of the employers in the state who are already here and invested in the state? Why not reward the companies here that are struggling to fund our ever-increasing budget, instead of bribing others on the backs of the people already here?

I'd like to see across the board tax cuts for small businesses, for sure, and hiring incentives.

Reaction Score

Why do men buy flowers for their mistresses and not their wives? Because they can have the benefit of their wives without spending on the flowers. Think about it.

Seriously, there are plenty of arguments to be made for and against government giving tax breaks and other benefits to develop jobs.

Reaction Score
Why do men buy flowers for their mistresses and not their wives? Because they can have the benefit of their wives without spending on the flowers. Think about it.

Seriously, there are plenty of arguments to be made for and against government giving tax breaks and other benefits to develop jobs.
Benefits? I thought you were married? ;)

I don't oppose Jackson Labs coming. I oppose them coming under the terms of the agreement as I understand them. And I oppose government picking and choosing companies to bribe instead of making things easier on every employer.

Reaction Score
FL turned them down because their Governor is a far bigger clown than ours is.

With all due respect, the Florida governor is kind of a jerk, but dumb and unsavvy in business are two things he is not. He is a very successful dude. Further, the county commission in the Naples area shot it down, not the governor.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, the Florida governor is kind of a jerk, but dumb and unsavvy in business are two things he is not. He is a very successful dude. Further, the county commission in the Naples area shot it down, not the governor.

He paid the largest fine ever for medicare fraud as well. Kind of a crook. With all due respect of course.

Reaction Score
[quote="Do us all a favor and stay home on election day from now on.[/quote]

You mean they actually let you vote?

Reaction Score
Octagon Sports Entertainment (sports agency/marketing) has an office in CT as well.

Reaction Score
You mean they actually let you vote?
Well, at least one person on the left has agreed with my position on Jackson labs. And I've found common ground on things we can/should do with the people who I disagree with on Jackson Lab deal.

Then there's you, who brings nothing to the table but a strawman argument and a failed attempt at humor. Thank you for excellent contribution to the discussion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If in 15 years there are one or two dozen startups in Farmington, or a handful of slightly larger, more established companies, and a growing population of scientists, clinicians, and other employees living in working in the greater Hartford area because of this incubator that was kickstarted by Jackson, then it will have been worth it.

On the other hand, if it's only a handful of small startups and it's just UCHC and Jackson on Rt. 4, the goal will have been missed. It would be like Storrs without UConn 2000. It's gonna take leadership, some luck, and the continued support of this Governor and future governors / legislatures if this investment is to pay off in the long run.

Reaction Score
I believe they need more skin in the game. The reports of the money they are bringing with them is embellished. They are bringing grants, not investments. They stand to lose nothing. And due to the borrowing this $300 million deal will be over $400 million by the time it's paid back. It's not too much to ask for our investment back. The gov is borrowing/spending over 1.5 billion on top of a budget that already increased spending. It will take several decades to pay that back.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
How threatened does ESPN feel about this move?

I can't think they would care that much. Unless they think some of their employees would want to renegotiate their contracts.

Reaction Score
How threatened does ESPN feel about this move?

I can't think they would care that much. Unless they think some of their employees would want to renegotiate their contracts.

Threatened? No. Their competitors are there competitors, regardless of whether they are located in NYC and Stamford.

It will, I would think, have some effect on payscales but not nearly enough that they would feel threatened.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't see this as a threat at all.

While not anything approaching the close proximity of these industries, the Big Three have operated for more than a century in Detroit. Travelers, Cigna, The Hartford (and at times many others) made Hartford the Insurance City.

Reaction Score
What do you mean? How are taxpayers forking over money, and how are thousands of businesses getting screwed?
We got our answer.

$20 million "loan" to NBC Sports. The full 20 million will be forgiven with a few hundred jobs. So the taxpayers are paying $20 million for NBC Sports, owned by Comcast who probably has a billion or so dollars to play with, for a few hundred jobs.

More corporate welfare from Dannel, while the employers who were already in this state still pay an increasingly higher tax burden. That's how taxpayers fork over money and thousands of business get screwed.

Reaction Score
It's still a good investement for the state. They are moving into the largest space in the city of Stamford which was sitting unused and retro-fitting it to be a state of the art entertainment production studio. Good stuff. Stamford is doing pretty big things as a city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom