WTIC Sports talk | The Boneyard

WTIC Sports talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last night Gresh had some talking head analyze American Conference recruiting classes.

Apparently Houston had "one of the top classes" in the country......not just the American. I have no animosity towards their program ,,,,,,,, they are winners, quite exciting to watch and have a preseason top ten ranking. Not hard to sell their program to recruits and P5' Speculation as to them being the next team cherry picked may not be a stretch. Certainly any P5 conference would not have a hard time selling their games to TV sponsors,

Apparently Temple did quite well also.......another explosive, exciting team to watch.

What about UConn? "Since going FBS, historically UConn has mostly recruited FCS talent, with hopes of possibly upgrading skill set." He went on to say he was surprised Rose even signed with UConn.

Devastating to hear as a fan, but maybe not too much of a stretch from the truth. Yes UConn has had some "icons" pass through the ranks and go to the NFL. But not too many, and none became NFL stars or household names.....yet.

Hoping HCBD can change program and perception with all my heart.....but as history of 15+ years has shown, it won't be easy'

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't think that dude knows what he's talking about. Edsall did have an under-the-radar mentality but that just led to finding diamonds in the rough like Don Brown, Marcus Easley, every single linebacker that turned into a stud for years... the fact of the matter is, we recruit just as many 4 and 5 star players as our FBS peers. To compare their talent to FCS is an insult. The only thing FCS about UConn in the past decade was the PP era.

Reaction Score
Last night Gresh had some talking head analyze American Conference recruiting classes.

...What about UConn? "Since going FBS, historically UConn has mostly recruited FCS talent, with hopes of possibly upgrading skill set." He went on to say he was surprised Rose even signed with UConn.

Well by the looks of the school that those kids we didn't get ended up committing to (overwhelmingly not the few outliers) - I'd say the last two years the staff are targeting higher end kids that other programs covet. Outside of the real high end kids that everyone would consider a pipe dream to get to G5 AAC UConn - there were a lot of these kids that had significant numbers of P5 offers that UConn was in the race with.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/2016-offer-commit-list-only.79253/

Continue to win, continue to place kids in the NFL and they will come. When we obtain P5 conference golden ticket - watch out.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
And I am really getting tired of the 'historically' cr@p... that makes it seem like Diaco has been here for 15 years and it is HIS trend.

Lazy writers, lazy public that don't try to analyze the current coach and look at his trends. Granted, one or two years is not a long term indicator but it should serve to change the conversations.

"The new coaching staff appears to have a different approach than that of the previous regimes and does not seem to stick with FCS talent. They are investing in more highly sought after recruits, and this is a trend we will be watching."

Reaction Score
Recruiting classes need to judged in four or five years, not on signing day. By that measure, UConn is one of the strongest recruiting teams in the American.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Recruiting classes need to judged in four or five years, not on signing day. By that measure, UConn is one of the strongest recruiting teams in the American.

Based on what? An all time FBS record well under .500?

Must be those great players combined with bad coaching

Reaction Score
Based on what? An all time FBS record well under .500?

Must be those great players combined with bad coaching
Based on players moving on to the next level. I have maintained for years that the Huskies have played below their talent level. Far from the cupboard being bare, they we poorly led.

The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm still not all in on Diaco, but I'm getting there. I think he has done well so far and certainly exceeded expectations last season. That said, he's exactly the kind of high energy, enthusiastic guy that you need to change perception. I'm hopeful that he can make another leap forward next year as his players mature and develop in his system.

I get people writing off our program as football is very much "what have you done for me lately" for programs without a well established tradition. I think a good season this year will go a long way in changing our narrative from 'also ran' to a young program on the rise.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Based on players moving on to the next level. I have maintained for years that the Huskies have played below their talent level. Far from the cupboard being bare, they we poorly led.

The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).
Dooley is slipping if this quote is not in his messages to the conferences and the Big 12 firms evaluating the tv network and schools!!

Reaction Score

Exactly Palantine... Here ya go Whaler, check out UConn as opposed to other schools you probably think have had more success, like Houston, East Carolina or Memphis... http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

And that's a dumb way to look at recruiting - but whatever.

It doesn't even make any sense that they could coach players well enough to get them to the NFL but not to actually win college football games - but you have never required sense to be part of your contributions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly Palantine... Here ya go Whaler, check out UConn as opposed to other schools you probably think have had more success, like Houston, East Carolina or Memphis... http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter

Oh good someone is going to burn their first post trying to give me background on the football program.

Thanks!!!!!

Reaction Score
And that's a dumb way to look at recruiting - but whatever.

It doesn't even make any sense that they could coach players well enough to get them to the NFL but not to actually win college football games - but you have never required sense to be part of your contributions.
Your post doesn't even make sense. I just posted a fact. We have had much more NFL talent than most of the teams we play.

Your position, correct me if I'm wrong. is the talent of the players on your team isn't a reflection of recruiting? Good grief.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Having a couple players a year move to the next level does not mean we had full team with all the pieces necessary to succeed. Below average lines and QB play will do that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
A really good QB is worth more than a star at any other position- at all levels of football. Our record is direct line with our QB play. With all the NFL talent, we did not have enough stars around to manage the game to 9 win seasons. Alabama can do that with game managers, we can't.

Reaction Score
Having a couple players a year move to the next level does not mean we had full team with all the pieces necessary to succeed. Below average lines and QB play will do that.
No one has a full team of NFL players (except LSU). Are you serious discounting NFL production as reflection of overall team talent?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Watching the tape for Hopkins, Vickers, Skanes, Williams and Rose you see a lot of natural speed and athleticism (burst). Perhaps as much as we have ever recruited although Garland, Viggs and Todman has memorable tapes too. I think the only thing missing from the recruiting class was another OL prospect with great high school film. Thats not to say what we have cannot be developed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No one has a full team of NFL players (except LSU). Are you serious discounting NFL production as reflection of overall team talent?
Yes, and it's a very simple concept. A couple of nice pieces does not a complete team make. You still need a line that can block and a QB that can throw and WRs that can catch, etc. Deficiencies in some areas serves to counteract positives in other areas. Overall team talent does not equate to the couple of guys each year that went pro.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This board is really getting painful to visit.
Ha, it has been since the Fiesta Bowl....all down hill since....until the B12 meetings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, and it's a very simple concept. A couple of nice pieces does not a complete team make. You still need a line that can block and a QB that can throw and WRs that can catch, etc. Deficiencies in some areas serves to counteract positives in other areas. Overall team talent does not equate to the couple of guys each year that went pro.

Completely amazing. First, it's not a couple of NFL players, it's a couple every year. And there are plenty of others who got into camps and didn't make the league. BTW, every team has strengths and weaknesses. I don't even understand the point you're trying to make.

You can crap all over our players if you want. But there has been plenty of talent on the Huskies, good enough to have winning records even under P. And our recruiting has proven to be as good or better than most of our peers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your post doesn't even make sense. I just posted a fact. We have had much more NFL talent than most of the teams we play.

Your position, correct me if I'm wrong. is the talent of the players on your team isn't a reflection of recruiting? Good grief.

No my position is that you don't judge recruiting in college football by the small percentages of your classes that go to the NFL...

And... things like your win-loss record in ACTUAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES is more instructive since you are recruiting to WIN COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No my position is that you don't judge recruiting in college football by the small percentages of your classes that go to the NFL...

And... things like your win-loss record in ACTUAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES is more instructive since you are recruiting to WIN COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES.
Logic is no use. In retrospect I shouldn't have engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom