wtf is the fascination with mccombs? | The Boneyard

wtf is the fascination with mccombs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing special as a running back, and can't stay out of trouble. What u saw from delorenzo and hyppolite is what it looks like when you give players their first significant snaps of the season in big east play.

P, has his head up his assss

Reaction Score
OP actually makes some sense. LM broke through a few times but still drops too easily. I like where the game is going. Defense is clicking and the offense moved the ball well on the second to last drive. We need an offensive TD in the 3rd quarter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
DeLorenzo didn't look too great either though....at least mcCombs runs forward....not saying Max can;t be better but right now he's not an option.

Reaction Score
Look, you toss two guys into the fire in big east play and ur surprised they look tentative? How bout underutilizing geremy davis?

Reaction Score
I agree, if anything I think people give McCombs too much credit, he just isn't a good back.

Reaction Score
McCombs bounces around to much and goes down way to easy. He's average at best.

Reaction Score
He is an average back that is kept sharp by the fact that pretty much gets all of the game reps every game. Next time he makes a big play wake me up.

Reaction Score
Noey - I'm through with McCombs myself if I'm coach. Too many chances, on and off the field. He rides out the scholarship if he's disciplined enough and helps the team out on the scout team, but playing time over.

I don't know. Very, very disappointed this week.

I think there are a few units on this team, a few position groups that are doing things the right way, and improving as best they can week to week, and it shows.

I think there are a few position groups,that I wouldn't mind one bit, seeing freshmen playing the rest of the way - and the offensive backfield - is one of them.

I think that our offense, is clearly putting plays out on the field that have HUGE potential, as long as they're executed properly.

and therein - lies the $64k question. What's the problem? Is it that the players aren't good enough, or are they dumb? And if they're dumb - is it because they're just dumb, or is the coach asking too much from them, and not getting them in situations where they can succeed?

It's up to the coaches to put the players out on the field and get them to succeed.

I grow tired of Deleone, and I like P, I think hes a great college head coach, and I wish he hadn't tied himself to Deleone with our offense.

NO matter what we're 3-3, and looking yet again - to get on a roll - with a Temple team - at homecoming, that won't be a pushover.

Sorry to hijack the discussion - just letting the thoughts fly.

Reaction Score
I always felt that if McCombs is your tailback you don't have a tailback. He's just not strong enough and while he'll occasionally pop a decent run he doesn't have good breakaway speed. The Rutgurls announcers said he got arrested last year on a drug charge. If that's true and it's true that he spit in a girl's face I'd bounce him off the team. If we're going to have a mediocre team, at least let's have one with some class.

Reaction Score
None of the running backs showed any vision.

None put there foot in the ground and went downhill when there we available yards inside.

Only DeLorenzo made contact and pushed the pile foward but he didn't break any tackles.

Reaction Score
LM is the most overrated UConn football player in their I-A era. He is average at best and won't get anyhting that is not there already. Plus, I have never seen a guy tackled by the turf more times. Is he the best RB on our roster? I have no idea because the other guys have not been given a chance.

Reaction Score
Agree, maybe Max can be a 3rd down option out of the backfield, but he has zero skills to be a factor against BCS level competition.

DeLorenzo didn't look too great either though....at least mcCombs runs forward....not saying Max can;t be better but right now he's not an option.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think McCombs is an all-time leader at UConn in ankle tackles. Unfortunately he is the one being tackled. He showed a couple instances of evasiveness in the Buffalo game, but that was Buffalo.

Reaction Score

McCombs did nothing this whole year... We seen Max run 3 times and not once did he get tackled backwards... His first carry went for 4 yards, so how is McCombs the better option? the little guy that can't break 1 tackle! Matt Brown for Temple is 5'5 and you know why he's great because he breaks tackles my friend

#duckk McCombs

Reaction Score
Agree, maybe Max can be a 3rd down option out of the backfield, but he has zero skills to be a factor against BCS level competition.

Dude how can you say Max has no skills? have you seen him play? Just because we don't see williams, max, or hyppolite does not mean they don't have skills it means that our OC sucks balls...

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Max is fine, problem is you've got so many back ie: Franks,Hippolite, and Osiecki all at the same position he needs to be out on returns.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
McCombs did nothing this whole year... We seen Max run 3 times and not once did he get tackled backwards... His first carry went for 4 yards, so how is McCombs the better option? the little guy that can't break 1 tackle! Matt Brown for Temple is 5'5 and you know why he's great because he breaks tackles my friend

#duckk McCombs

From the three times I saw DeLorenzo play, I was unimpressed and feel he won't be any better than McCombs at this moment. You now what I saw on one of his 3 plays? I saw him run directly into his blocker when all he had to do was make a small cut to the left and he'd have a large run. That's inexperience right there and right now, being 3-3, we cant afford inexperience. McCombs isn't blowing me away but he is the lead back right now. Is that the way it should be? Maybe not, but that's what we have right now and until any of the other guys show me more (if given the chance) than this is what we have.

Reaction Score
From the three times I saw DeLorenzo play, I was unimpressed and feel he won't be any better than McCombs at this moment. You now what I saw on one of his 3 plays? I saw him run directly into his blocker when all he had to do was make a small cut to the left and he'd have a large run. That's inexperience right there and right now, being 3-3, we cant afford inexperience. McCombs isn't blowing me away but he is the lead back right now. Is that the way it should be? Maybe not, but that's what we have right now and until any of the other guys show me more (if given the chance) than this is what we have.

I see your point... Max could have cut to the left, but then we can say McCombs is inexperienced because he does this all the time. McCombs runs into his blockers allllll the time and never bounce it outside and let's add that he doesn't break tackles. Max only has 3 , 4 carries all year give him some more reps and let him get comfortable. I can almost guarantee he does more than McCombs at this point.. He's bigger and just as fast! I would like to see Williams in there too! Joe Williams that is

Reaction Score
Joe Williams probably couldn't play at Trinity College. No way. WHY? Well he apparently isn't good enough to merit even one carry thus far. Now folks slam McComb (I've liked him) and clearly Hyppolite and Dilorenze aren't the answer, so why no Williams?

Are they red shirting him? Nope that's already been burned. Is he not good enough to help out this awful ground game? Compared to what we've seen?

Again, McCombs has been fairly solid. Hyppo & Max D are at best a change up to a bigger back (think Robby Frey giving Todman a breather). So time to give Williams a shot. Either he can play or HCPP isn't the recruiter that some believe. I for one would like to see for myself. I do not trust PP after what I've seen in 2 and a half seasons. Also put Deshon Foxx back at tailback. He was supposed to have great speed and PP wasting him at WR ( another position that should be wide open for anyone who can run even a little

PP made a farce out of the QB situation last season and is doing elsewhere this season. Find out if any of these guys can play - and by play, I mean at game time not in practice.

Reaction Score
What's crazy was this guy put himself in a position to be arrested for the second time in his three years here. I don't care if the altercation was his fault or her fault, he put himself in that situation. He pushed and then spat on a girl, and HCCPP (see what I did there, second c is for clueless) played him.

EDIT - is there a slower runner on the team than Hippo? He may have a slower first step than Jonathan Mandeldove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom