WSJ Valuation: | The Boneyard

WSJ Valuation:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Finally some responsible reporting:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578225802183417888.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

OB-VW798_COUNT0_G_20130106200910.jpg

Reaction Score
Obviously football drives the bus here. Somewhat surprised that UNC is that low, below NC State. Little high for Colorado, K State.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that this is the value of the football program only....not the entire athletic program. So considering football only, Uconn is #52. If this was based on the entire athletic program, I think we would probably be somewhere around 30 or so (since football is weighted so highly in the total athletics).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Interesting. I wonder when these valuations were made. It would be very surprising to see UConn ahead of other schools who just left for more stable conferences. I like that we are valued above MD and RU and some other schools that we may have to politick ahead of to get a B1G invite (UNC, Cuse, Duke, Pitt, etc). If our football program's valuation is where it is despite being in a unstable conference, small stadium, two consecutive losing seasons, imagine where it might be valued at once those things are addressed.

Reaction Score
Little high for Colorado, K State.

I would have agreed with you last week, however after coming back from the Fiesta Bowl last week, Kansas State made me a believer. Phoenix area was covered with purple.

Reaction Score
It has to do with market size (and the actual market). At least now it's clear we'll end up in a major conference.

Reaction Score
Part of what we got going for us is POTENTIAL. There will be a day in the future where the rent has seating capacity of 70K+ and it is full. It might be a while before we get there, but we definitely have the potential to get there while many other schools don't.

I always thought Pitt athletic is worth nowhere as high as they think. Well, this list is just another validation of it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
To me, USF is the shocker. Shows how huge the FLA FB market is.

TCU being that low, shows how huge Bevo's market share is.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
There will be a day in the future where the rent has seating capacity of 70K+ and it is full

It seems like someone did not give up recreational drug use as a New Years Resolution. ;)

Reaction Score
I would have slotted Syracuse, Cal, and UNC higher than UConn and Indiana, BC and Kansas below. Especially Indiana and Kansas. Both are basketball first schools. Heck, soccer may be more important to Indian than football. Maybe membership in the B1G is more valuable than UConn no matter the historical quality of the football team.

Reaction Score
I wish they gave some explanation to their valuation methods. The idea that Kentucky football is worth 33% more than Florida State makes me scratch my head

Reaction Score
I wish they gave some explanation to their valuation methods. The idea that Kentucky football is worth 33% more than Florida State makes me scratch my head
Conference revenue seems to have a lot to do with it. PAC 12 doesn't show up until 19 and ACC at 27.

Reaction Score
I would have slotted Syracuse, Cal, and UNC higher than UConn and Indiana, BC and Kansas below. Especially Indiana and Kansas. Both are basketball first schools. Heck, soccer may be more important to Indian than football. Maybe membership in the B1G is more valuable than UConn no matter the historical quality of the football team.
I wouldn't think the Syracuse football program has a very high value in today's market, what makes you think they do?

Reaction Score
Hmm, Uconn ahead of Syracuse, Pitt,Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville. I'm sure that other team fans will dismiss this article even though it comes from such a reputible source.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure a lot of this valuation has to do with immediate TV markets and UConn is well positioned in that sense being in the 30th biggest market.

The overall picture seems legit, but there are a few instances that really make you scratch your head.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
My professor of economic geography at UConn said it best.

"Why do some businesses who have everything going for them fail while others get away with poor quality, spotty service and absentee management and still thrive?

Location, location, location..."

Location is UConn's biggest albatross. If Connecticut was in the midwest or mid-atlantic, we'd have found a home a long time ago.

Reaction Score
The valuation is based on the present value of the cash flow generated by the football program. Has little to do with anything else. Unless you know how each of the schools calculated their individual cash flow, making comparisons is an excercise in speculation.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
To you, maybe.

To me too.

Rumor has it that the bottom bunk in Fishy's basement is available if you're looking for someplace more negative to hang out....

Reaction Score
I wouldn't think the Syracuse football program has a very high value in today's market, what makes you think they do?

More historical value, a bigger stadium, and the ACC TV contract (it’s better that what the Big E currently has, nothing).

Reaction Score
That's BS

Our Location is a great thing going forward. We certainly can expand our fan base. Can Mississippi State? Texas Tech? Kansas? Syracuse?

We have the possibility. We do need a Plan.

Reaction Score
That's BS

Our Location is a great thing going forward. We certainly can expand our fan base. Can Mississippi State? Texas Tech? Kansas? Syracuse?

We have the possibility. We do need a Plan.

It's one of those double-edged swords. It's great for TV markets, but there's no football culture here, and therefore no fertile recruiting grounds, which can make success more difficult.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's one of those double-edged swords. It's great for TV markets, but there's no football culture here, and therefore no fertile recruiting grounds, which can make success more difficult.

I think this is a myth. Plenty of Division I schools get kids out of the northeast. I think it's harder to get the top kids to STAY in the northeast... sure we aren't going to get the studs out of FL but the problem is we haven't been able to get the studs out of CT either... but Edsell certainly had no trouble finding BCS level defensive talent in the Northeast. Running backs too.. I think our downfall has pretty much been that he wasn't ever able to find/develop QBs and WRs. I think that's more about his short comings as a coach than about the talent in the Northeast. I said this over and over again when Edsall was the coach: a 4.4 forty is a 4.4 forty... it doesn't matter if the kid lives in New Hampshire or Florida to anyone except recruiting services.

I think it's less about location and more about perception. There are lots of schools in great recruiting areas that suck traditionally and have the same problem of perception... and it takes a special coach to break that perception. Connecticut, Mississippi, Kentucky... all have similar problems but vastly different recruiting situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom