WSJ: The end of the NBA shooting guard | The Boneyard

WSJ: The end of the NBA shooting guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
While the attention in this series has been focused on LeBron James—first for suffering from cramps in Game 1, then for answering his critics with a dominating Game 2—something else is happening on the court. We are witnessing the extinction of the traditional shooting guard.

LINK

Reaction Score
So true.

It has not been that long ago when it was considered total sacrilege for a big man to shoot perimeter jump shots. Guys like Jim McDaniels and Patrick Ewing took a lot of heat for not developing a back to the basket game.

As far as shooting guards becoming extinct, I just feel that players develop more aspects of their game now, probably because of expectations, because of the influence of popular players, and, as mentioned, the increasing importance of defense.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Infiltrating the women's game as well. I recall CD's comments this year about how big kids don't want to play with their backs to the basket.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If some of today's more athletic 5s had even half of Taj McWilliams-Franklin's post moves and back-to-the basket savvy, they'd score by the dozens. It can be done, but nobody wants to learn it.

Pity.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Didn't Jordan and Drexler signal the end of the shooting guard? Didn't Magic Johnson signal the end of the short point guard?

No? Okay, carry on.

Reaction Score
Don't you think that:
KML
Maggie Lucas
Riquana Williams
are shooting guards in the women's game?

KML's game really reminds me of Ray Allen's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom