Wrong Night! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wrong Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They have played on Saturday and no one showed up - Murray State for example.

Did we really make it to Tuesday night without this idiotic conversation. If someone is a 'diehard' I'm pretty sure they can figure it out. As for the teachers - you have a tough job and my respect - but it's one day of work and a three day weekend. You'll survive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For sure,you're correct on first part of post. Would be interesting to poll fans (not just 'Yarders). Wonder what Mom's, particularly those waiting for Dad and children to get home at 11 or Midnight, knowing there is school tomorrow would pull for. Or maybe UConn is looking for fans to bail earily to offset the late arrivals.Just saying that better to open on road than continuously open on a Thursday. Once in a while (maybe UConn v Michigan national game) but not every stinking year.

Do we care about the opinion of a mother who isn't at the game? Any mother who has an opinion I value will be in the bleachers.

Reaction Score
We are opening night football!! What's better than that ! Day one starts with us. We are drinking thirsty Thursday don't have to wait till Saturday. . I'm more upset we made espn3 than espn but thats normal broadcasting for these types of early machups
On a side note being a UCONN/ND fan I have to crack a beer 9am. On Saturday. Anyone else in with me ?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We are opening night football!! What's better than that ! Day one starts with us. We are drinking thirsty Thursday don't have to wait till Saturday. . I'm more upset we made espn3 than espn but thats normal broadcasting for these types of early machups
On a side note being a UCONN/ND fan I have to crack a beer 9am. On Saturday. Anyone else in with me ?

You are upset that UMass a MAC team with an over under of 1.5 in
Vegas isn't on ESPN?

I embrace the Thursday opener - blow out a weakling and not waste a great opening Saturday away from the TV.

Reaction Score
The season opener could be held on a Tuesday evening at 6:22 pm...and most of us would be there.

IMO so many people have plan's over Labor Day Weekend i think attendance would suffer on Saturday. Thursday night makes sense in this regard.

Reaction Score
As a teacher, I also dislike the Thursday night openers - doesn't help with kids either. The bigger issue for me is the birth of my 3rd child Thursday morning...any chance I tuck in the little guy & wife and make the second half at the Rent? Vegas Hilton has the odds at +150 yes, -200 no.

Nine months ago when you...you....well...just had to do it. What the hell were you thinking? Obviously you are not a true fan. :cool:

If it's a boy you must name him Chandler....a girl...it must be.....wait for it.......Nicki

By the way...congrats. :)

Reaction Score
Nine months ago when you...you....well...just had to do it. What the hell were you thinking? Obviously you are not a true fan. :cool:

If it's a boy you must name him Chandler....a girl...it must be.....wait for it.......Nicki

By the way...congrats. :)
Agreed....this is piss-poor planning on your part. Maybe the calendars were broken in your house...but there is no excuse!!

Congratulations to you and your family!!

Reaction Score
The season opener could be held on a Tuesday evening at 6:22 pm...and most of us would be there.

IMO so many people have plan's over Labor Day Weekend i think attendance would suffer on Saturday. Thursday night makes sense in this regard.

That explains Columbus Day weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. Come on, man. Play it Friday, we all profess to love those Friday night games. Then haul@SS Saturday morning. Still three days and probably less traffic than Friday night. If attendance is that much in peril than open up on road like in '07 (at Duke). Turned out to be one our best seasons and didn't burden fans with the need to plan around a Labor Day game like most of the power conference schools were force to do.

Reaction Score
You are upset that UMass a MAC team with an over under of 1.5 in
Vegas isn't on ESPN?

I embrace the Thursday opener - blow out a weakling and not waste a great opening Saturday away from the TV.
no it was more like convenience for me to watch. I'm not in ct but I found a way.
Cheers brother

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That explains Columbus Day weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. Come on, man. Play it Friday, we all profess to love those Friday night games. Then haul@SS Saturday morning. Still three days and probably less traffic than Friday night. If attendance is that much in peril than open up on road like in '07 (at Duke). Turned out to be one our best seasons and didn't burden fans with the need to plan around a Labor Day game like most of the power conference schools were force to do.

Everyone hates Friday games. Opening on the road means you play a good team before your FCS game. That's a good thing?

Reaction Score
Why would it be a bad thing?

Opening against an FCS team on a week night is like no opener at all. I know UMass isn't FCS, but they were when we scheduled this. I hope that we discontinue this practice. It's time to break the cycle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would it be a bad thing?

Opening against an FCS team on a week night is like no opener at all. I know UMass isn't FCS, but they were when we scheduled this. I hope that we discontinue this practice. It's time to break the cycle.

The fanbase has shown they turn out in higher numbers on Thursday than Saturday on Labor Day weekend.

You don't want to play an FCS team? Almost everyone does and if you are stuck in a league where you only get three conference home games every other year what can you do?

UMass is a step in the right direction over Fordham, Rhode Island and Maine.

Reaction Score
Don't you just love people who are never EVER happy? Same ducking complaints by the same ducking people every year.

We're about to open a season with a ton of potential with a night game (which is always fun) and since it's not USC on Saturday the usual whiners bless us with their genius insight.

Good times....

Edit: By the way didn't we schedule this game when Edsall was here? What an a*shole.

Reaction Score
The fanbase has shown they turn out in higher numbers on Thursday than Saturday on Labor Day weekend.

You don't want to play an FCS team? Almost everyone does and if you are stuck in a league where you only get three conference home games every other year what can you do?

UMass is a step in the right direction over Fordham, Rhode Island and Maine.

UMass is better, but these weeknight FCS games in week one are a total snooze. It never really feels like the start of the season, and they are unsatisfying.

Playing an FCS would be better in week 3 or 4. It is almost like a second bye week.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I don't love the Thursday night openers. As a teacher who typically starts school this week, it is tough for me to always get there.

Now we have hear about the hardship of a guy going back to work after 8+ weeks of vacation. Life got tougher.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As a teacher, I also dislike the Thursday night openers - doesn't help with kids either. The bigger issue for me is the birth of my 3rd child Thursday morning...any chance I tuck in the little guy & wife and make the second half at the Rent? Vegas Hilton has the odds at +150 yes, -200 no.

I can offer unique perspective here - my daughter (our 3rd child) was born on opening day 2008 (URI game). Had same exact issue - morning induction, thought i might break away for game.

I didn't leave the hospital. I would bet $$$ you won't either.

Reaction Score
Now we have hear about the hardship of a guy going back to work after 8+ weeks of vacation. Life got tougher.

That wasn't his complaint, actually, he wasn't even complaining. Teachers have tough jobs, but so do a lot of people, and I'm not shedding a tear for people who get as much vacation time as they do.

However, I can understand why a teacher would have a hard time justifying taking a day off 2, 3, 4 days into the school year after being off from work for 8+ weeks. Imagine calling out sick the day before a 3 day weekend, after you just had a week or two off (or 8).... on the same day every single year. It would not go over well with most bosses. Most jobs allow for people to take time off without having to go find someone to take their place for the day. Principles don't have that luxury when a teacher calls out sick.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm pathetic, I interupted our anniversary vcaction to attend the opening game, have not attended weddings, adjusted kids schedules, took vacation days for midweek games and haven't missed a game regardless of opponent weather or sickness since the place opened. And yes, I leave the tailgate in time for the team to run on the field.

Reaction Score
personally i wish we were playing tonight. we'd be the only game on TV and everyone that's desperate to watch football would see how great we're going to be this year.

Reaction Score
I'm have to leave NYC at 5, pick up my 12 year old in Milford and we will be there by kickoff and stay till the final whistle. And I will be on a 630 train Friday morning back to the city. And it never once occurred to me not to go even though the final score will look like a Geno special.

My wife and younger son make the Saturday games but not the weekday night games. Some people just don't function well being out that late on a work day.

Reaction Score
That wasn't his complaint, actually, he wasn't even complaining. Teachers have tough jobs, but so do a lot of people, and I'm not shedding a tear for people who get as much vacation time as they do.

However, I can understand why a teacher would have a hard time justifying taking a day off 2, 3, 4 days into the school year after being off from work for 8+ weeks. Imagine calling out sick the day before a 3 day weekend, after you just had a week or two off (or 8).... on the same day every single year. It would not go over well with most bosses. Most jobs allow for people to take time off without having to go find someone to take their place for the day. Principles don't have that luxury when a teacher calls out sick.

It's one night leading into a three day weekend. I won't get home from the game until 12:00 or 12:30. BFD. I'll go to work tired on Friday morning. The world will survive somehow.

Reaction Score
It's one night leading into a three day weekend. I won't get home from the game until 12:00 or 12:30. BFD. I'll go to work tired on Friday morning. The world will survive somehow.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, it's difficult to tell the tone.

For the record, the poster I was defending said he's not "always able to make it". So while he doesn't love the Thursday night starts, he does go at least occasionally, and he didn't say the games should be moved to Friday or Saturday. I took his post as a defense of the Thursday night games. It seemed like he was saying that it's difficult for him, but he goes when he can and gives away tickets when he can't. I don't think he was whining like TDH is.

And IIRC, he's coming down from the Boston area, which means he'll probably get home around the same time as you.

I usually do the same, but I took Friday off to get a long weekend. But guess what, whether we go or not, the game will go on, and the world will survive somehow.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, it's difficult to tell the tone.

For the record, the poster I was defending said he's not "always able to make it". So while he doesn't love the Thursday night starts, he does go at least occasionally, and he didn't say the games should be moved to Friday or Saturday. I took his post as a defense of the Thursday night games. It seemed like he was saying that it's difficult for him, but he goes when he can and gives away tickets when he can't. I don't think he was whining like TDH is.

And IIRC, he's coming down from the Boston area, which means he'll probably get home around the same time as you.

I usually do the same, but I took Friday off to get a long weekend. But guess what, whether we go or not, the game will go on, and the world will survive somehow.

Wasn't responding to you particularly. I just think (no, know) that on Labor Day weekend they will get complaints whenever they play the game, so personally I don't worry about it. Thursday night isn't so convenient for me because I'm tired at work Friday. Saturday afternoon isn't so great for me because that is a weekend my wife would expect to go away (with me). It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom