Wrong Night! | The Boneyard

Wrong Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Again, wrong night. Thursday? Let's see South Carolina (OK but that will be the game watched nationwide). UCLA? Fighting off relevance in LA. Texas A &M (Again, OK). Minnesota ? That's it for Thursday night.

Friday? Tenn, NCState, Boise, Michigan State, Stanford.
Saturday? The Big Boys play. ND, WVU, UNC Cal, Nebraska, Florida et al.
Sunday? Kentucky,Louisville, GT, Virginia Tech.

Come on UConn. . . Stop with the Thursday night openers (or open on the road). Season opener would be a great way to jump start holiday weekend (happens in so many other places). Bad move for educational institution to open up on a school night during first week of school. Way to build that fan base of youngsters.

Reaction Score
If it were such a great thing, all the Power Conference schools would be doing it? Hmmm?
People criticize our fan base for not being in our seats at kickoff like the Big Boys. . . And yet, don't want to interfere with a Friday night, Saturday afternoon, or Saturday night. Still decades for UConn to go I guess.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again, wrong night. Thursday? Let's see South Carolina (OK but that will be the game watched nationwide). UCLA? Fighting off relevance in LA. Texas A &M (Again, OK). Minnesota ? That's it for Thursday night.

Friday? Tenn, NCState, Boise, Michigan State, Stanford.
Saturday? The Big Boys play. ND, WVU, UNC Cal, Nebraska, Florida et al.
Sunday? Kentucky,Louisville, GT, Virginia Tech.

Come on UConn. . . Stop with the Thursday night openers (or open on the road). Season opener would be a great way to jump start holiday weekend (happens in so many other places). Bad move for educational institution to open up on a school night during first week of school. Way to build that fan base of youngsters.

Good to see you are in mid-season form already bitchhhinnng about anything.

At least you aren't making up BS excuses like Businesslawyer was earlier this week about being on vacation and limited access to the internets.

Heck no. You lay it on the line.

So, miserable, everything my team and program does doesn't meaure up to my expectations fan, we salute you.

Reaction Score
All power conferences are not equal.

What is so hard to understand about the fact that UConn has to do things differently than Florida, Alabama, Michigan and OSU?

The SEC has two games Thursday night, including a conference game. The Big 10 has an opener Thursday night. And the Pac 12 has three openers Thursday night.

Of course since facts matter, TV wouldn't allow "all" of the power conference schools to do it, so the straw man question doesn't prove a thing.

Reaction Score
Is it this forum? I talk daily with a lot of knowledgeable and die hard UConn fans. Nobody thinks this is the appropriate day to open. A couple even considering staying home . . . Why? Work the next day. Most wonder why it's not Friday or Saturday. Maybe it's a Boneyard thing?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
If it were such a great thing, all the Power Conference schools would be doing it? Hmmm?
People criticize our fan base for not being in our seats at kickoff like the Big Boys. . . And yet, don't want to interfere with a Friday night, Saturday afternoon, or Saturday night. Still decades for UConn to go I guess.

Chin beat me to it but wow, what a wanker you are TD. Thursday night has the SEC (USCe v Vandy and was going to have TT until the game got postponed due to the hurricane), the PAC-12 (UCLA, Utah and Wash St in different games) the B1G (Minnesota) and the Big East (UConn). Fact is, being on a Thursday night not only gives our program additional exposure that we wouldn't otherwise get due to fewer league games that can be watched at the same time - it also gives our team extra time to prepare for our second game against NC State.

I think it's great but you go right ahead and piss on yourself and complain that its raining.

Reaction Score
Is it this forum? I talk daily with a lot of knowledgeable and die hard UConn fans. Nobody thinks this is the appropriate day to open. A couple even considering staying home . . . Why? Work the next day. Most wonder why it's not Friday or Saturday. Maybe it's a Boneyard thing?

Pretty sure that most of this post is BS, but regardless, I'll bite:

Nothing says "diehard" fan like staying home for the opener.

Reaction Score
If TDH and FBB created a chatroom to discuss passing attacks and blue outs, the interwebs might explode.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Get a better job. It's the Thursday night leading in to Labor Day weekend.

Your die hard Husky friends who are considering not going aren't so die hard. For fecudities sake vacation time should have been put in four months ago.

Freaking South Carolina is a top 10 team and they're playing Thursday night in an SEC contest.

And guess what? For all the wanking you do, this is our tradition. Good, bad or otherwise, Uconn opens up at home the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

Reaction Score
Chin beat me to it but wow, what a wanker you are TD. Thursday night has the SEC (USCe v Vandy and was going to have TT until the game got postponed due to the hurricane), the PAC-12 (UCLA, Utah and Wash St in different games) the B1G (Minnesota) and the Big East (UConn). Fact is, being on a Thursday night not only gives our program additional exposure that we wouldn't otherwise get due to fewer league games that can be watched at the same time - it also gives our team extra time to prepare for our second game against NC State.

Again maybe just a Boneyard thing. Additional exposure,huh? OK that must be it.

Reaction Score
Good to see you are in mid-season form already bitchhhinnng about anything.

At least you aren't making up BS excuses like Businesslawyer was earlier this week about being on vacation and limited access to the internets.

Heck no. You lay it on the line.

So, miserable, everything my team and program does doesn't meaure up to my expectations fan, we salute you.

That's very funny. The decision has already been made -- next year I will either take vacation earlier or get my roster review done earlier. I won't fail again!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey I think Nick Williams was onto something - if TDH is too busy to make the game he should give his tickets to someone else. They might actually cheer for the Huskies and have a good time, and the fans in the surrounding seats would also have a better game experience instead of sitting next to some balloon knot complaining about the lack of a passing game EVERY GODDAM DRIVE.

Reaction Score
That's very funny. The decision has already been made -- next year I will either take vacation earlier or get my roster review done earlier. I won't fail again!

Incoming Biz. Cranky fans this season. FYI hope you had a good get away. And thought your post was on target. Worth the wait, in fact. Heck next year make 'em subscribe for that first post. Again hope you went somewhere nice and were able to get away from this stuff.

Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I don't love the Thursday night openers. As a teacher who typically starts school this week, it is tough for me to always get there. That is my personal opinion but whatever. If UConn wants to do it, they should. I go when I can, when I can't, I give away/sell the tickets and go to the next game. This year? My building is under construction and we don't start until next week. Bring it!

Reaction Score
Hey I think Nick Williams was onto something - if TDH is too busy to make the game he should give his tickets to someone else. They might actually cheer for the Huskies and have a good time, and the fans in the surrounding seats would also have a better game experience instead of sitting next to some balloon knot complaining about the lack of a passing game EVERY GODDAM DRIVE.
How bout give yours away, play the game on weekend and throw the ball to Nick Williams 12 times per game. Get into the freakin end zone and cheer and have a good time and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Why thank you. I'm not letting something like a tropical storm interfere with my game week preparation.

Sure, I was supposed to be in Orlando watching the game on satellite TV Thursday night at the Tilted Kilt right near UCF. But weather happens and my trip got cancelled. So, it's gonna be the "Tre" on ESPN3 and the laptop hooked up to the TV at home.

Saturday September 8th? On Friday night the 7th I'll be spending the night on the USS ALABAMA in Mobile Bay for some Navy heritage training and it's a Saturday at 5:00am departure so I can be home in time to send the wife off to a day of professional continuing education credit. I was thoughtful enought to cash in some Hilton Honors hotel points to get her and her friends a hotel for the night so I can watch football all day uninterupted. Next day, Sunday the 9th? Off to England for work.

Saturday September 15? It's gonna be short notice, but there's a return flight from England returning to the states on Friday night. I'm still making crab cakes and cornmeal dusted oysters.

No excuses. We can use work and family as an excuse not to support the team or you can make work and family a part of your fandom.

Reaction Score
Some people thinks that, on Labor Day weekend, Thursday works better and some like Saturday. To most people, that makes it clear that there is not one right answer to the question and it's not worth worrying about.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm excited for the season to start, regardless of the day of the week. And I will trudge in to work Friday morning, bleary eyed but basking in the glow of UConn drubbing the Minutemen. Night games can be fun - suck it up.

Reaction Score
Some people thinks that, on Labor Day weekend, Thursday works better and some like Saturday. To most people, that makes it clear that there is not one right answer to the question and it's not worth worrying about.

For sure,you're correct on first part of post. Would be interesting to poll fans (not just 'Yarders). Wonder what Mom's, particularly those waiting for Dad and children to get home at 11 or Midnight, knowing there is school tomorrow would pull for. Or maybe UConn is looking for fans to bail earily to offset the late arrivals.Just saying that better to open on road than continuously open on a Thursday. Once in a while (maybe UConn v Michigan national game) but not every stinking year.

Reaction Score
Saturday September 15? It's gonna be short notice, but there's a return flight from England returning to the states on Friday night. I'm still making crab cakes and cornmeal dusted oysters.

Probably more flights from England to DC than to Orlando. And once in DC, it's just a metro ride to College Park.

I'm just saying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Probably more flights from England to DC than to Orlando. And once in DC, it's just a metro ride to College Park.

I'm just saying.

No kidding. I can actually book a return flight to the states through Dulles and hope for United to come through as they often do and fecundity up the connecting flight. But, alas, it's Heathrow to Houston and Houston to Pensacola. I won't ever complain or wank about my job or its requirements. It's fun, interesting, frustrating, unique and usually engaging. It just doesn't always allow me to catch Uconn games.

Ironically enough the trip to England was supposed to start on Sunday the 16th and I had planned to go up to DC on my own dime and start my travel on Sunday the 16th. Then three weeks ago my travel got bumped a week to the left and it meant leaving the states on the 9th and returning the 14th. So, when work gives me lemons, I make chicken wings, beer and nachos.

Reaction Score
As a teacher, I also dislike the Thursday night openers - doesn't help with kids either. The bigger issue for me is the birth of my 3rd child Thursday morning...any chance I tuck in the little guy & wife and make the second half at the Rent? Vegas Hilton has the odds at +150 yes, -200 no.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
As a teacher, I also dislike the Thursday night openers - doesn't help with kids either. The bigger issue for me is the birth of my 3rd child Thursday morning...any chance I tuck in the little guy & wife and make the second half at the Rent? Vegas Hilton has the odds at +150 yes, -200 no.
Well it IS your third one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69