WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT)

Reaction Score
Is it that really true he hasn't seen the 4th qtr until New Britain? If so, what happened in the Glastonbury game because that was only a 3 pt win for southington.

Yes, it's true. I've been to all of the games. Against Glastonbury, he aggravated an injury in the 3rd quarter. The injury happened in practice and he fell on the shoulder when he got tackled along the sideline. He should be playing the whole game tonight against Hall. Neither team has lost yet. Should be a good game.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's true. I've been to all of the games. Against Glastonbury, he aggravated an injury in the 3rd quarter. The injury happened in practice and he fell on the shoulder when he got tackled along the sideline. He should be playing the whole game tonight against Hall. Neither team has lost yet. Should be a good game.
Ended up 48-0 with Southington blowing Hall out. The game was over in the second quarter.

Reaction Score
41-doughnut at the half. Southington played subs for most of the second half & ran the ball. Coach Drury wanted to avoid the Cochran Rule.

Reaction Score
Ended up 48-0 with Southington blowing Hall out. The game was over in the second quarter.

Yeah, that was supposed to be their biggest test to date. It was 41-0 at halftime. I don't see any challenge coming until the Thanksgiving Day game against Cheshire. They're 6-0.

Jay Rose went 13-18, 260 yds, 1 INT, 4 TDs. Guys, he only played the first half and the first series of the 3rd quarter. His first pass of the game was a pump fake left, then hit Alex Jamele down the right sideline for a 65 yd TD. Out of his 5 incompletions, only one was a bad throw.

Keep in mind, this team is loaded. Rose didn't have to throw. They have very talented WR's, RB's, and his O line is very good.

Reaction Score
... Keep in mind, this team is loaded. Rose didn't have to throw. They have very talented WR's, RB's, and his O line is very good.

How much has UConn mined this mother lode of talent over the years? Are any O-line seniors at Southington unclaimed at this date?

Reaction Score
I'm hearing that BC is the leader if he had to make a decision right now and Rose wants to go to the best academic university that offers. He is only a junior and things change so maybe we can improve our position and become a better option in the future.

Reaction Score
How much has UConn mined this mother lode of talent over the years? Are any O-line seniors at Southington unclaimed at this date?
Southington players, for whatever reason, rarely end up at UConn. The last Knights player actively recruited by the Huskies was qb Matt Kelleher, who was Ct. Gatorade Player of the Year, who was recruited by FHCRE. UConn never had a chance as Randy offered a scholly for him as a tight end (he wanted to stay at qb), & he was a Yale legacy ( family members are Eli alums).
If UConn could land Rose & Alex Jamele, it would be a success. (I suspect that Jamele is leaning toward playing lacrosse at the next level).

Reaction Score
I am not sure jamelle is a D1 talent, but he is really close. Rose is certainly a D1 talent and I hope we land him. he can contribute at whatever position.

Reaction Score
Had an awkward aha moment last week. Because my sons are much older than J.R., I never made the connection of who his parents are. I realized that I have a business relationship with his dad. The father knows that I'm a UConn alum & season ticket holder. Here's the sticky part: That code of conduct handbook that season ticket holders receive about rules of engagement with prospective recruits. Am I prohibited from talking UConn football with his dad, or just prohibited about talking about J.R.'s recruitment & college intentions such as what field of studies that he'd like to major in?
misplaced that handbook or I'd already know the answers .

Reaction Score
Had an awkward aha moment last week. Because my sons are much older than J.R., I never made the connection of who his parents are. I realized that I have a business relationship with his dad. The father knows that I'm a UConn alum & season ticket holder. Here's the sticky part: That code of conduct handbook that season ticket holders receive about rules of engagement with prospective recruits. Am I prohibited from talking UConn football with his dad, or just prohibited about talking about J.R.'s recruitment & college intentions such as what field of studies that he'd like to major in?
misplaced that handbook or I'd already know the answers .

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/compliance/contact-psa.html

Reaction Score
I am not sure jamelle is a D1 talent, but he is really close. Rose is certainly a D1 talent and I hope we land him. he can contribute at whatever position.
Rose is not the only one UCONN is looking at. They also are looking at receiver Julian Dunn of Newtown, defensive end Mark Evanchick of Darien, and running back/linebacker Bobby Drysdale of Brookfield. Dunn is a senior, and Evanchick and Drysdale are juniors. All three are 1st team all-state. Drysdale is quite an athlete, broke Scott Lutrus's single season rushing record last season as a sophomore, he's 6'1" 215 and still growing. Doubt they would keep him as a halfback, but who knows. UCONN was at the Brookfield/Newtown game scouting him and Dunn. Evanchick is the most explosive defensive player in the state in several years, not quite as big (6-1 230 and still growing) as Zach Allen but is faster and likely stronger. Only a junior he is right now the #4 all time career sack leader in state history (the great Dwight Freeney is #1), recently broke the FCIAC career sack record which had stood since 1976. Has 21 sacks so far this season with one more game to go. He is within striking distance and could possibly break Freeney's record next year. Doing what he has done in a tough, tough league like the FCIAC is one heck of feat. My guess is UCONN is recruiting him as a linebacker though. Darien vs Southington would be a great game, too bad it won't happen.

Reaction Score
Looks like a move tight end prospect to me.

I am most impressed by the coaching. Southington is a very disciplined team, and whoever is coaching the offense does a great job.

Reaction Score

I am most impressed by the coaching. Southington is a very disciplined team, and whoever is coaching the offense does a great job.
You sure. 23-30 332 4 TDs with a qtr and a half of football left to play in the Class LL - Large State Championship game.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, Jasen throw a 16 yard TD pass while I was typing. 24-31 348 and 5 TDs. Has rushed 3 times for 17 yards also.

EDIT 2: Southington hasn't given up a single completed pass. NFA is 0-7 in the game. Follow along here: http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/lau...=maxpct&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Reaction Score
You sure. 23-30 332 4 TDs with a qtr and a half of football left to play in the Class LL - Large State Championship game.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, Jasen throw a 16 yard TD pass while I was typing. 24-31 348 and 5 TDs. Has rushed 3 times for 17 yards also.

EDIT 2: Southington hasn't given up a single completed pass. NFA is 0-7 in the game. Follow along here: http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/lau...=maxpct&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Just going by what I see this game. He is extremely athletic. Put some bulk on that frame and he can cause some mismatches at tight end.

Reaction Score
And Jamele is the best player on the field. He definitely going the lacrosse route?

Reaction Score
And Jamele is the best player on the field. He definitely going the lacrosse route?
Until he receives an offer, yes. Best player on the field? Maybe best player on the field without an offer. Kid does have some good talent. State record in receiving TD's, but who is throwing him the football? That's right the kid this thread was formed for. After all Jemele is a CT football player. What competition level are they playing? 49-0 with a quarter to go in the state championship game? Really? NFA clearly had no chance. Not sure how up to date stats are, but 49-0 through 3 quarters. 0 yards passing and only 47 rushing.

How about his teammate Matt Maxwell. 8 catches 127 and 3TDs. He on anyones radar?

The fact that Rose has played: WR/TE/QB and punts for his team (last punt 47 yards) tells me everything I need to know about the best player on the football field. Let alone his own team.

Reaction Score

The picture on the front page of today's Meriden Record-Journal shows Coach Drury partially avoiding the Gatorade bath along with "Asst. Coach Brian Stranieri". In his other incarnation, Coach Stranieri is one of the Vice Principals at S.H.S. That team BETTER be disciplined.

Reaction Score
The picture on the front page of today's Meriden Record-Journal shows Coach Drury partially avoiding the Gatorade bath along with "Asst. Coach Brian Stranieri". In his other incarnation, Coach Stranieri is one of the Vice Principals at S.H.S. That team BETTER be disciplined.

Very impressed by the team, both offense and defense. It was obvious they were well coached and knew their roles. D Line did great job of maintaining responsibilities. There was no freelancing by the players. Rose took what the defense gave him. It sounds so simple, but it is so difficult at the high school level.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Thought Tyler Dube (2011, SHS) was better than Jamele. Dube is silently putting up great numbers at Sacred Heart (79 receptions for 960 yards w/ 16 TD's).

But Rose has D1 talent at QB. 47 TD's and 9 INT's for over 2800 yards. Completes 70% of his passes.

Reaction Score
Very impressed by the team, both offense and defense. It was obvious they were well coached and knew their roles. D Line did great job of maintaining responsibilities. There was no freelancing by the players. Rose took what the defense gave him. It sounds so simple, but it is so difficult at the high school level.
Thought Tyler Dube (2011, SHS) was better than Jamele. Dube is silently putting up great numbers at Sacred Heart (79 receptions for 960 yards w/ 16 TD's).

But Rose has D1 talent at QB. 47 TD's and 9 INT's for over 2800 yards. Completes 70% of his passes.
Of course they look impressive when they play cupcakes. I'm cautiously optimistic on Rose. He'll play at the D1 level but I wonder if it will be at QB? Maybe TE if he bulks up. Southington has played a weak schedule against relatively weak teams, and what I'm saying is that Rose has never been tested nor has Southington. Southington plays in the CCC, which had three undefeated teams this year. Three in the same league, and a weak league at that. How on earth is that possible? It's possible because the CCC league does not want their best teams playing each other, beating each other up during the season, fall in the NH Reg poll with a loss or two, so they schedule accordingly. What I'm saying is I wonder how Rose's numbers would be and how he would look to scouts with Mark Evanchick, George Reed, and Zach Allen chasing him all over the field. The CalPreps CT poll is at odds with the New Haven Reg poll because it includes SOS and league strength (based on OOC play) in it's calculations. The FCIAC and SCC are much stronger leagues top to bottom than the CCC or ECC. FWIW Calpreps ranks New Canaan and Darien ahead of Southington, even though Southington is undefeated. St Joes, another FCIAC club has TWO losses and blew out undefeated EEC champ Ledyard 37-7 for the M class championship. St Joe's is ranked #4 ahead of undefeated CCC team Windsor in Calpreps poll.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Of course they look impressive when they play cupcakes. I'm cautiously optimistic on Rose. He'll play at the D1 level but I wonder if it will be at QB? Maybe TE if he bulks up. Southington has played a weak schedule against relatively weak teams, and what I'm saying is that Rose has never been tested nor has Southington. Southington plays in the CCC, which had three undefeated teams this year. Three in the same league, and a weak league at that. How on earth is that possible? It's possible because the CCC league does not want their best teams playing each other, beating each other up during the season, fall in the NH Reg poll with a loss or two, so they schedule accordingly. What I'm saying is I wonder how Rose's numbers would be and how he would look to scouts with Mark Evanchick, George Reed, and Zach Allen chasing him all over the field. The CalPreps CT poll is at odds with the New Haven Reg poll because it includes SOS and league strength (based on OOC play) in it's calculations. The FCIAC and SCC are much stronger leagues top to bottom than the CCC or ECC. FWIW Calpreps ranks New Canaan and Darien ahead of Southington, even though Southington is undefeated. St Joes, another FCIAC club has TWO losses and blew out undefeated EEC champ Ledyard 37-7 for the M class championship. St Joe's is ranked #4 ahead of undefeated CCC team Windsor in Calpreps poll.
The year prior Southington beat Fairfield Prep (9-2) 52-34. They only lost to Daniel Hand and St. Joes by a combined 10 points. Not really seeing your argument with the strength of conferences. Sure, FCIAC and SCC are stronger as a whole, but at the top there is no doubt in my mind Southington is the best team in the state . Rose's numbers would be similar if he played in those conferences as well, he's that good.

Reaction Score
The year prior Southington beat Fairfield Prep (9-2) 52-34. They only lost to Daniel Hand and St. Joes by a combined 10 points. Not really seeing your argument with the strength of conferences. Sure, FCIAC and SCC are stronger as a whole, but at the top there is no doubt in my mind Southington is the best team in the state . Rose's numbers would be similar if he played in those conferences as well, he's that good.
I don't know how you can say that when he's had all the time in the world to throw against weak teams with easy defensive lines and easier secondaries. Southington has not played anyone in the NH register poll all season long THIS YEAR, but as long as you're bringing up last year, I'll bite. Prep had injuries for that final game against Southington, it's the nature of their very tough schedule (played two OOC games against FCIAC teams and their grueling SCC schedule), and Southington came in smelling like a rose (no pun intended). Earlier that season Prep put 33 points on the board against Glastonbury, a team that Southington almost lost to. Prep also shut out Cheshire 26-0, and Southington beat Cheshire 33-6, similar scores. Tim Boyle looked great too in high school, but he had a great, great offensive line to protect him and had all the time in the world to protect him. How many times this year has Rose been sacked? My guess is zero.

I'm saying Rose could be a great player and Southington could be a great team, but I have some strong doubts.

Reaction Score
You clearly are not familiar when you insinuate that " the CCC league does not want their best teams playing each other". Let me give you two instances: When the CCC expanded to 4 divisions, the divisions set up so that neighboring towns were in the same divisions. The CCC South consisted of both Bristol & Meriden schools along with Southington & New Britain. Maloney in Meriden & Bristol Eastern complained to the league that having to play annually against LL behemoths Southington & New Britain (this was the Jack Cochran era) diminished their chances of winning & they wanted to play against same sized institutions. Southington & New Britain were then placed into the same division as Manchester, Simsbury, Glastonbury & East Hartford. They also are scheduled against other larger sized schools to fill out their season.
The second instance occurred in the last two years. In either 2012 or 2013 Southington was scheduled to play Windsor, a team that regularly makes the CIAC playoffs. Shortly before the season the Windsor Athletic Dept. Called their counterparts in Southington & the CCC offices & intentionally forfeited the game, leaving the possibility of Southington having to virtually go undefeated to make the playoffs as the forfeit had dire consequences in the playoff rankings measurements.
It's not the league that is in control, it's the individual schools.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
You clearly are not familiar when you insinuate that " the CCC league does not want their best teams playing each other". Let me give you two instances: When the CCC expanded to 4 divisions, the divisions set up so that neighboring towns were in the same divisions. The CCC South consisted of both Bristol & Meriden schools along with Southington & New Britain. Maloney in Meriden & Bristol Eastern complained to the league that having to play annually against LL behemoths Southington & New Britain (this was the Jack Cochran era) diminished their chances of winning & they wanted to play against same sized institutions. Southington & New Britain were then placed into the same division as Manchester, Simsbury, Glastonbury & East Hartford. They also are scheduled against other larger sized schools to fill out their season.
The second instance occurred in the last two years. In either 2012 or 2013 Southington was scheduled to play Windsor, a team that regularly makes the CIAC playoffs. Shortly before the season the Windsor Athletic Dept. Called their counterparts in Southington & the CCC offices & intentionally forfeited the game, leaving the possibility of Southington having to virtually go undefeated to make the playoffs as the forfeit had dire consequences in the playoff rankings measurements.
It's not the league that is in control, it's the individual schools.
This is true. If a school's athletic department is powerful enough they can change schedules. It happened throughout my baseball career at Southington all the time. Football was more notorious for this under the Kelly era. Mella tried to play big games, but he was nothing more than a charismatic coach who won because of his players.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can say that when he's had all the time in the world to throw against weak teams with easy defensive lines and easier secondaries. Southington has not played anyone in the NH register poll all season long THIS YEAR, but as long as you're bringing up last year, I'll bite. Prep had injuries for that final game against Southington, it's the nature of their very tough schedule (played two OOC games against FCIAC teams and their grueling SCC schedule), and Southington came in smelling like a rose (no pun intended). Earlier that season Prep put 33 points on the board against Glastonbury, a team that Southington almost lost to. Prep also shut out Cheshire 26-0, and Southington beat Cheshire 33-6, similar scores. Tim Boyle looked great too in high school, but he had a great, great offensive line to protect him and had all the time in the world to protect him. How many times this year has Rose been sacked? My guess is zero.

I'm saying Rose could be a great player and Southington could be a great team, but I have some strong doubts.

First, these are LL schools, so please do not use injuries as an excuse when a team loses. Second, it is much more difficult to beat a team that you face yearly, then a team you may see in the playoffs. League opponents are much more familiar with what you do, then an OOL opponent. Glastonbury also gave Southington all they could handle in week 1 this year, then got spanked in the playoffs. Look, I have followed CTHSFB very closely for the last 20+ years, Southington deserves their #1 ranking. They got better as the season went on and they are better on both sides of the ball then they were last year. I wasn't overly impressed with either NC or Darien this year. Defensively, they are both very good, but at times their offenses sputtered. Southington was legit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom