WP: Forbes fires economist for dissing low salaries in WNBA | The Boneyard

WP: Forbes fires economist for dissing low salaries in WNBA

Reaction Score
So he feels that the NBA should raise the salaries of the WNBA players to increase their star power. Isn’t that backwards. Don’t you usually increase the star power first which then results in higher salaries. That said, I have to believe that Breanna Stewart is making many times the $56K a year stated in that article.

Reaction Score
So he feels that the NBA should raise the salaries of the WNBA players to increase their star power. Isn’t that backwards. Don’t you usually increase the star power first which then results in higher salaries. That said, I have to believe that Breanna Stewart is making many times the $56K a year stated in that article.

His position was that by increasing salaries of big stars today, the league could improve the quality of play by letting these stars forego playing overseas, reduce the wear on their bodies, and gather attention. Apparently he suggests that that is what the NBA is doing for the G-League. He has several ideas based on league strategies in the past. Engaging essay.

But highly curious that the league would get a critic fired from a magazine when the guy has been published for years in many highly regarded magazines and newspapers.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
That said, I have to believe that Breanna Stewart is making many times the $56K a year stated in that article.

You be incorrect (see attachment).

That being said, this is her WNBA salary - which is exactly what the Forbes article referenced and is the pay scale set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (fromwhich my attached photo is an excerpt).

This amount does not include her salary from deals with teams overseas, nor does it include endorsements. That amount is simply her WNBA salary, based on when she was drafted, her draft position, and her years played in the WNBA.

As an side, Stewart earned additional compensation in 2018 from the WNBA because she made the All-WNBA First Team ($10,000 bonus) and was the 2018 WNBA MVP ($15,000 bonus).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 61
Reaction Score

That being said, this is her WNBA salary - which is exactly what the Forbes article referenced and is the pay scale set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (fromwhich my attached photo is an excerpt).

This amount does not include her salary from deals with teams overseas, nor does it include endorsements. That amount is simply her WNBA salary, based on when she was drafted, her draft position, and her years played in the WNBA.

As an side, Stewart earned additional compensation in 2018 from the WNBA because she made the All-WNBA First Team ($10,000 bonus) and was the 2018 WNBA MVP ($15,000 bonus).

My comment about her making many times the $56K was based on the assumption that she had endorsements and played in Europe. Otherwise, she would probably be better off simply getting a job outside of basketball. Most would be paying much more than $50K by year three.

Reaction Score
Women's sports is where men's sports was in the early 70s right now. College and pros.

Just created a women's version of UCLA (us).

Support the women's pro hockey team in CT, too.

Reaction Score
Your subject header is misleading, if not outright wrong.

Forbes says he was fired for bad journalism.
Your title says it was for complaining about salaries. Do you have evidence to suppor t this?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Your title says it was for complaining about salaries. Do you have evidence to suppor t this?

Did you read the piece?
Between the lines?
Sure?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

So if I'm understanding this correctly...Stewart can opt out of the 4th year and sign a max deal with Seattle where she'd make $115k next season? $56k is very low for being arguably the best in the world at what she does. Granted, I'm sure she's thriving financially with bonuses/overseas play/any endorsements or side earnings. Especially at 24 years old.

Reaction Score

But that's the point: she earns peanuts from the WNBA. Has to get real money overseas (where she incurred an injury last year), or from endorsements. The league should be the place the world's best go for the best compensation.

Clearly, according to the conflicting claims about financials, the players do not believe they have all the facts.

Reaction Score

The article was very unclear as to the actual reasons he was fired. And the WNBA didn't make it clear either. Berri claimed that he was accurate. And his longevity in publishing about sports on major publications raises questions as to why he was let go.

Reaction Score
The NFL has a similar pay structure ( though it is much higher) for it's rookies. They do not begin to make large salaries until they sign their second contracts. The teams can keep them on their rookie contracts for four years with a fifth year option. The NFL runs it that way even though they are making money had over fist. It along with salary caps are structured that way to keep weaker franchises in the black and competitive. With out it the top teams would gain all the talent and the league would eventually collapse.

Reaction Score
But that's the point: she earns peanuts from the WNBA. Has to get real money overseas (where she incurred an injury last year), or from endorsements. The league should be the place the world's best go for the best compensation.

Clearly, according to the conflicting claims about financials, the players do not believe they have all the facts.
One fact they do have (or SHOULD have) is that half the tickets that count toward their published attendance totals are given away, not sold. They're going to find out the financials are worse than what's being publicly represented, not better.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My comment about her making many times the $56K was based on the assumption that she had endorsements and played in Europe. Otherwise, she would probably be better off simply getting a job outside of basketball. Most would be paying much more than $50K by year three.

...as long as they don't live in the South.

Reaction Score
So Forbes fires him for bad journalism after it receives complaints. Sounds like they don't even review his writing until way after it's published. Is that any way to run a publication?

Reaction Score
So Forbes fires him for bad journalism after it receives complaints. Sounds like they don't even review his writing until way after it's published. Is that any way to run a publication?

I dunno.... if they trust that he’s being accurate and someone points out he’s not being accurate, is that unusual?

Reaction Score

Here is his bio from Forbes. Note how many top publications he's written for. This professor of economics is no slouch. So his being let go by Forbes casts more doubt on Forbes's motivations and the influence of WNBA management than it does on Barri's years-long reputation.

"I am a professor of economics at Southern Utah University who has spent the last two decades researching sports and economics. I am the lead author of "The Wages of Wins" (Stanford Press, 2006) and "Stumbling on Wins" (Financial Times Press, 2010). In addition, I am the sole author of "Sports Economics" (a 2018 textbook from Macmillan Publishers). I have been part of more than 50 academic papers published on the subject of sports economics; work that covers a wide variety of topics including the evaluation of players and coaches, competitive balance, the drafting of players, labor disputes, the NCAA, and gender issues in sports. In the past, I have written on the subject of sports economics for a number of popular media outlets, including the New York Times, the Atlantic.com, Time.com, and Vice Sports."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Here is his bio from Forbes. Note how many top publications he's written for. This professor of economics is no slouch. So his being let go by Forbes casts more doubt on Forbes's motivations and the influence of WNBA management than it does on Barri's years-long reputation.

"I am a professor of economics at Southern Utah University who has spent the last two decades researching sports and economics. I am the lead author of "The Wages of Wins" (Stanford Press, 2006) and "Stumbling on Wins" (Financial Times Press, 2010). In addition, I am the sole author of "Sports Economics" (a 2018 textbook from Macmillan Publishers). I have been part of more than 50 academic papers published on the subject of sports economics; work that covers a wide variety of topics including the evaluation of players and coaches, competitive balance, the drafting of players, labor disputes, the NCAA, and gender issues in sports. In the past, I have written on the subject of sports economics for a number of popular media outlets, including the New York Times, the Atlantic.com, Time.com, and Vice Sports."

Impressive, but forna guy who claims to write about labor issues he seems to miss the fact that this whole issue is collectively bargained and the math is the math.

The nfl and NBA both also have a rookie salary structure where good players are severely underpaid.

At least the WNBA is willing to share their books, i know the nfl was vehemently against that during the last round of negotiations

Reaction Score
Poor Berri gets 70 bucks a story from Forbes...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom