wow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The kid had a yale offer and was set for yale. After the coaching change and other stuff that went on there yale took away hos offer. Hes walking onto uconn this summer and we should be happy about how that relationship is growing. I ranted here blowing steem post boyle news. Good luck to the kid and hope he turns into a good player at whatever school he ends up at.

The 2 kids we lost bl both said they verbaled with boston family or some type of connection to the city. Nothing in the end we can do anout that in the end. If u think my local recruit stuff is all bs then thats fine, just ifnore these threads then.

Good luck to boyle and on to the next one for us. I am hoping for a new england commit or 2 soon....

As I've said, I think you putting all the raw data out there on recruiting from monitoring tweets is a good service to the board. Would it be easier for people over 25 to follow if you used sentences more -- yes -- but that's entirely up to you.

I believe that, to grow the program, we do have to do better at keeping good CT players in state. But our results to date simply do not support the proposition that we have somehow turned that corner in the last 18 months. They just don't. I think that P is a better recruiter than Edsall (as it relates to winning BCS battles for players) and that, in time, that should be a positive. But no matter how many times people proclaim that we've turned a corner on this, I just don't see a factual basis to back that up.

If saying that makes me pompous (and I know you're not saying that), so be it. I think it makes me not a dope. tomato, tomatoe

pj

Reaction Score
But our results to date simply do not support the proposition that we have somehow turned that corner in the last 18 months. They just don't. I think that P is a better recruiter than Edsall (as it relates to winning BCS battles for players) and that, in time, that should be a positive. But no matter how many times people proclaim that we've turned a corner on this, I just don't see a factual basis to back that up.

Results to date also don't support the proposition that we haven't turned the corner. We have two 3* recruits and one physically imposing 2* as of June 1, which is probably the best class in UConn history at this early stage. However, we've also missed on some top targets. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out between now and Feb 1.

Some top players like Ogundeko, Edwards, Montgomery, Smith, and Rodgers are still in play for us. It could still be an outstanding class.

Reaction Score
As I've said, I think you putting all the raw data out there on recruiting from monitoring tweets is a good service to the board. Would it be easier for people over 25 to follow if you used sentences more -- yes -- but that's entirely up to you.

I believe that, to grow the program, we do have to do better at keeping good CT players in state. But our results to date simply do not support the proposition that we have somehow turned that corner in the last 18 months. They just don't. I think that P is a better recruiter than Edsall (as it relates to winning BCS battles for players) and that, in time, that should be a positive. But no matter how many times people proclaim that we've turned a corner on this, I just don't see a factual basis to back that up.

If saying that makes me pompous (and I know you're not saying that), so be it. I think it makes me not a dope. tomato, tomatoe

Boyle just wasn't a good fit and I wish him well. Better to find out earlier ... than later.

I just want P to recruit players he thinks he can sign ... nothing more ... nothing less. FHCRE developed a pretty good eye for discovering under-valued talent, and P seems pretty adept at closing the deal with a known prospect. The jury is still out on P, but I think the potential is there to improve the level of talent on the field.

BL's post above pretty much sums up my feelings about the current recruiting situation ... except the pompous and dope part, of course.

Reaction Score

I think pompous more than dope also, but not by much.

Reaction Score

Almost every single post you make is just you lecturing the board and telling us why your opinion is superior and how silly we are for having a certain opinion.

By the way, in 17 months Pasqualoni has landed three kids ranked in the top 5 in Connecticut. In the previous 4 years Edsall landed one kid who was ranked in the top 5 in Connecticut, and even he signed with Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
Seems like the kid has his priorities straight. Namely, not football. Whether we love to hate them, and whether their staff is a disaster or not, the university is a very highly regarded academic institution, with a very appealing campus, a short green line trip into the #1 college city in the country. He probably appreciates that it's Jesuit like Xavier and he has family in town. Shouldn't surprise anyone. High school kids who make college decisions based solely on athletics are morons or are getting bad advice.

As a side note, the QB history, Flutie, Hasselback, Hasselback, Foley & Ryan...isn't exactl awful.

I think that pretty much sums up my reaction. I also think it's a unfortunate that we come out second to BC when it's pretty clear we've been going in the right direction and have surpassed BC in most sports excepting hockey (for now). Boyle was my favorite CT player and I wish him well. Hopefully we've left a good impression in case things don't work out as planned. The young man has great potential.

Reaction Score
P's recruiting style has been without question more aggressive to date than edsall ever tried to be. I think we all wanted that change in direction, and whether that materializes into outstanding results immediately is, to me at least immaterial. BL to point out at every turn that we still aren't landing all our first options just kind of diminishes the effort our staff has put out and is sort of unfairly negative...especially since we are in more recruits final lists and less of our recruits are sheer projects no ones ever heard of.

Reaction Score
I didn't know that his son was attending UCONN. I don't recall him being a high D1 recruit either, so I'm not sure that proves much. I also didn't say anything about "hating UCONN." But I have spoken to Marinan on a few occassions about football in general and UCONN football in particular and I'm just giving you how I've interpreted his view based on those conversations. We've sat togther at a function. We've met a time or two at other events. We don't hang out together. We're not friends, so maybe he is not giving me his "true" take....And I don't know anything about his view of UCONN as a university, but rather his view of the football program...he still considers it small time and he isn't going to encourage his better recruits to select UCONN over other major programs. Maybe that changes over time, maybe not. As to the kid choosing BC, that's fine. I'm disappointed but I'm not sure he would se the field for 3-4 years anyway with the players we currently have and any we migh trecruit after him. That , by the way also entered his decision I bet. But if you don't think kids' coaches, and their guidance people and so forth also influence where they go to school, why was it such a big deal that the high school coaches like Pasqualoni? and that many of them didn't care for Edsall? Of course the family, and ultimately the kid himself make the final decisions...but the smart ones take advice from those others too.

Not that Dez is gospel but sure sounds like things are changing...Xavier-Middletown Coach Sean Marinan: Things Are Better With UConn (http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ch-sean-marinan-things-are-better-with-uconn/)

Reaction Score
BL just really liked our former coach. That's all I think it is.

Coach P is a totally different kind of guy, and when it comes to everything. This 2013 recruiting class will be his first full year cycle recruiting class at UConn focused on high schoolers.

So far we've got 3 H.S. commits in early June 2012. Solid guys. Multipe stars if you're into that. We've got a couple guys out there on the back burners from last year. Solid guys. All of them BIG. coming in. We've had a turnover of the roster, from spring 2011 through spring 2012 and going into fall 2012, that is nothing short of amazing. I think we'll see something like close to 50 new scholarship faces on the field by the fall 2012 from fall 2011. THat's not an exaggeration. On simple eye test, we're bigger, faster, and stronger across the board from #1s to #4s in every position group (except QB) and practice squad - than we've been in anytime in the past 10 years.

We went 5-7 last year, with a rag-tag team that gave every bit they had, and a coaching staff that barely knew anything about them going into the season, and were in every single game to the end except one.

I think we're in for good things in 2012 and beyond - and it all - absolutely - has to do with improved recruiting.

Reaction Score
BL is just logical and speaks objectively and isnt always ball washing every move UConn makes or doesn't make. He praises when he feels they deserve praise and bashes when they deserve bashing. He should be lecturing because he actually has stuff to say that informs and educates

Reaction Score
BL is just logical and speaks objectively and isnt always ball washing every move UConn makes or doesn't make. He praises when he feels they deserve praise and bashes when they deserve bashing. He should be lecturing because he actually has stuff to say that informs and educates

Especially important that BL advise when topics are unnecessary/inappropriate. Good to have a self appointed arbitrator of sensibleness and the only accurate and unbiased historian of the fhcRE exceptional coaching era monitoring the board and correcting others as needed.

Reaction Score

1. Of course I'm not surprised.

2. Anything that points to any limitations on the program is viewed by some as apologizing for Edsall. Not my problem, but yes, I understand there are many who can't view things yet except through the prism of what it says about Edsall.

3. Whomever our coach is, losing Connecticut recruits to BC, at this point in time, says something different than losing Connecticut kids to Florida or Notre Dame, and says something other than now we've fixed our deficiency to keep our top players in state. Period.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Losing a kid to BC doesn't really say much of anything really. He says he has family in that area. And as laughable as some may find it, Boyle might have a hard time getting PT here in the next few years. I don't really see it as a comment on our recruiting ability.

Reaction Score
....... losing Connecticut recruits to BC, at this point in time, says something different than losing Connecticut kids to Florida or Notre Dame, and says something other than now we've fixed our deficiency to keep our top players in state. Period.

Huh....

You cannot possibly mean that our recruiting efforts against BC are similar to those against the likes of ND or Florida. We are leveling the playing field against BC. If the conference issue ever fully shakes out it will be game, set, match UCONN. Until then, I expect we'll hold our own against them.

FWIW I think the Broyle thing is being overblown here and my guess is the UCONN coaches can live with this one given what's in house. I also think BC is going to have trouble holding onto commitments given what's going on there and I will be curious to see who actually ends up there after this season.

pj

Reaction Score
As CTMike says, this may be evidence not of recruiting weakness, but of how good our recruiting has become - that last year's two QB's, Whitmer and Cochran, made it hard to bring in another good one this year.

Connecticut may not be at the Michigan/OSU/Alabama/etc level that can bring in a top player at every position every year. But if we can bring in a top player every 2 years, we'll still have a great team.

Boyle had lots of personal reasons to favor BC and you have to respect that. A single player's choice doesn't necessarily reflect on UConn.

Reaction Score
As CTMike says, this may be evidence not of recruiting weakness, but of how good our recruiting has become - that last year's two QB's, Whitmer and Cochran, made it hard to bring in another good one this year.

Connecticut may not be at the Michigan/OSU/Alabama/etc level that can bring in a top player at every position every year. But if we can bring in a top player every 2 years, we'll still have a great team.

Boyle had lots of personal reasons to favor BC and you have to respect that. A single player's choice doesn't necessarily reflect on UConn.

So Boyle was afraid to compete with 2 kids that have never taken a college snap.

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff I read on here.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not saying he was afraid at all. Just that, for a variety of reasons, this particular recruit chose BC. Family seems to be one. Better opportunity for PT may be another. And I don't think that reflects poorly on our recruiting.

Reaction Score
I think this thread has run its course, maybe Dan should lock it, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom