Wow Really | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wow Really

Reaction Score
Hoophuskie...if the opponent had been anyone else besides South Florida, I might have watched a little bit longer. But since UCONN won the regular season meetings by 30+ points each, and given they were up 12-0 just minutes into the game, it didn't take a genius to realize what was about to transpire. If UCONN were my favorite team, I'd have watched the whole thing... (just like I watch all NCState games, men or women, regardless of what the outcome is going to be or how far ahead or behind the team is). Once the NCAAT gets down to the later rounds, and if UCONN continues its domination of good teams, I'll watch the entire games and marvel at what I see (and wish NCState could be them!).

1-- What do you prefer? As long as the game doesn't affect NC St-- Watching a double Overtime women's game in which I've given you stats of the Kentucky/TAMU that the winning team shoots 28% while both teams can't pass the ball and the best stat for both is their offensive rebounding? Or do you prefer watching fantastic skill and beautiful passing from mostly one team but it is a blowout? I think you've implied you'll take watching the lousy play just because the score is close, right?

2-- DO you REALLY believe for example that most young males are going to want to watch for example the recent women's game between Stanford and OSU - this from the supposed best or 2nd best conference in wcbb in which nether team shot above 33%. And both teams had more turnovers than assists. Because they don't dunk/ have the athleticism - and they've grown up watching the dunk-- do you really think "just because the game is close" they will watch and turn into wcbb fans?

3-- You turned off the USF game because of the score. I realize that. But you are the one pushing yourself as an avid overall fan. You saw for yourself early in the game UCONN was playing great. You saw Lou start off very well. But that didn't matter to you. No problem. But the point is YOU SAID YOU WERE SAD that you didn't watch the rest. You reiterate that for you - it's all about the score. NEXT YEAR UCONN MIGHT DO THE SAME TO USF AND OTHER TEAMS. Lou might be able repeat her performance vs this team and others. But because you are so ingrained with "the score," imo you saying that you were SAD is nonsense. I am not meaning to be mean but I guess this comes out that way. I can tell as I said before that you are a very nice person and mean well. But ot come across as this "caring and devout FAN" bu then claim you are so SAD when you are all but acknowledging that you won't watch it again (because more than likely UCONN is going to wipe out many, many, many teams in similar to USF) is BS.

4-- The poster Gen posted just above this about the Russian hockey team. What would you call those fans that had no affiliation with the Russia team that went to watch the game or saw it? They KNEW who would win, right? What would you call those fans vs the fan you are of wcbb? I'm not "that wcbb fan" either. But I'm not the one spouting what a great fan I am on another's board and telling the other fans that their team is bad for the game while I will readily admit "I'll turn off the game" even if I might have the opportunity to watch a historic performance.

Those young males don't give a darn about how close the game is. They aren't going to sit and watch lousy quality in which the athleticism is not up to the men's game and never will. So to single out UCONN women like you've done for being bad for the game is just complete nonsense.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
1-- What do you prefer? As long as the game doesn't affect NC St-- Watching a double Overtime women's game in which I've given you stats of the Kentucky/TAMU that the winning team shoots 28% while both teams can't pass the ball and the best stat for both is their offensive rebounding? Or do you prefer watching fantastic skill and beautiful passing from mostly one team but it is a blowout? I think you've implied you'll take watching the lousy play just because the score is close, right?

2-- DO you REALLY believe for example that most young males are going to want to watch for example the recent women's game between Stanford and OSU - this from the supposed best or 2nd best conference in wcbb in which nether team shot above 33%. And both teams had more turnovers than assists. Because they don't dunk/ have the athleticism - and they've grown up watching the dunk-- do you really think "just because the game is close" they will watch and turn into wcbb fans?

3-- You turned off the USF game because of the score. I realize that. But you are the one pushing yourself as an avid overall fan. You saw for yourself early in the game UCONN was playing great. You saw Lou start off very well. But that didn't matter to you. No problem. But the point is YOU SAID YOU WERE SAD that you didn't watch the rest. You reiterate that for you - it's all about the score. NEXT YEAR UCONN MIGHT DO THE SAME TO USF AND OTHER TEAMS. Lou might be able repeat her performance vs this team and others. But because you are so ingrained with "the score," imo you saying that you were SAD is nonsense. I am not meaning to be mean but I guess this comes out that way. I can tell as I said before that you are a very nice person and mean well. But ot come across as this "caring and devout FAN" bu then claim you are so SAD when you are all but acknowledging that you won't watch it again (because more than likely UCONN is going to wipe out many, many, many teams in similar to USF) is BS.

4-- The poster Gen posted just above this about the Russian hockey team. What would you call those fans that had no affiliation with the Russia team that went to watch the game or saw it? They KNEW who would win, right? What would you call those fans vs the fan you are of wcbb? I'm not "that wcbb fan" either. But I'm not the one spouting what a great fan I am on another's board and telling the other fans that their team is bad for the game while I will readily admit "I'll turn off the game" even if I might have the opportunity to watch a historic performance.

Those young males don't give a darn about how close the game is. They aren't going to sit and watch lousy quality in which the athleticism is not up to the men's game and never will. So to single out UCONN women like you've done for being bad for the game is just complete nonsense.

LOL! This is a battle I just can't win. I'm out! Waving the white flag! You are just way over the top on this. I made a personal choice to change channels...that's all. I don't have to...and will not any longer...defend that decision to you or anyone else. I joined this board because this is the most active forum I have found for the discussion of women's hoops in general, and I am leaving this thread now to join the rest of the board members in that discussion.

Reaction Score
LOL! This is a battle I just can't win. I'm out! Waving the white flag! You are just way over the top on this. I made a personal choice to change channels...that's all. I don't have to...and will not any longer...defend that decision to you or anyone else. I joined this board because this is the most active forum I have found for the discussion of women's hoops in general, and I am leaving this thread now to join the rest of the board members in that discussion.
Oh no ya don't!!!

You get back here.:p

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not to get off subject - but eventually if there are more openings, why not UCONN? For example, how good will Cincinnati's football team ever become? UCONN did tie 1st place in football one year, didn't they? Which teams not in a P5 now such as Cincy will compete for a National title? Maybe SMU someday? would they get an invite to the B1G or ACC?

We actually tied for the Big East title twice, 2007 and 2010. We had the tie breaker the second time, earning the conference auto bid to the Fiesta Bowl. Despite being a IA football program for many more seasons than UCONN, BC, the only other DIA football school in New England at that time, has never played in a BCS or NY 6 bowl game in their entire history.

Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.
continual blowouts
No one would argue that it's not the most entertaining kind of game, and UConn has tried mightily to get into another conference...but that's another story.
As you say about the final games of the NCAAT, against better competition, these can be very exciting games. If UConn is better than others, it's not their fault. They certainly didn't outrecruit a lot of other schools. They just play harder and smarter.
While I enjoy a close game after we have won it--and it was exciting---there is something to be said for the "blowouts" where you sit back and enjoy how each kid is playing or not playing well--or something I can nitpick on--that's the greatest pleasure in the world--picking nits!!!

Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.

You are correct the AAC is full of cup cakes--there are few conferences so cup cake--it's almost a div 3 conference--there are not good teams is
AAC . UConn gets such an easy schedule in the NCAA's because they always beat cup cakes.
I woul d like for you to announce loudly and wildly about this cup cake conference and how UConn is so over rated to all your friend on all those WBB blogs you go to---I truly would appreciate you letting MD, Baylor, ND, US Carolina, etc how easy it must be to beat a team that only plays cup cakes.

Reaction Score
The big accomplishment last night (besides, obviously, underscoring to opponents that they absolutely have to go out on Lou, leaving the spacing underneath for Pheesa and Gabby wide open) was the defense. UConn doubled very aggressively on the perimeter and yet both collapsed effectively and managed to contest a lot of passes in the middle. Of course, they've been doing this in big games--esp. against big teams like South Carolina and Baylor--but last night they took it to a whole other level of activity. Geno spoke about this after the game with Rebecca, and I believe it was Lou with Rebecca also who mentioned that this is something they're going to spend the next 2 weeks on.

This is the key to potential success in the tournament. Even though this team is only giving up 5 more points/game than last year's team, there are real vulnerabilities, obviously, and this team needs to overperform. The defense Geno is demanding needs players in superb condition who have a complete commitment to finishing the job. Sounds like a description of Husky basketball.

The "help" defense UConn plays is full of issues: It always leaves a player open---open players under the basket are there because it's easy to sneak behind the help, the dribble drive by good guards is a weakeness
All of that is true and happened in a number of games--USF, UCf , Tulane --others. Teams that try to replicate UConn's D success with the Help defense fail--WHY---kids have to buy into it, and be athletic and quick.
The final game with USF showed the speed of help recovery--yes they missed some--that happens--but for the most part there were few easy shots--and those that happened were RUSHED--a benefit of the HELP Defense.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you managed to put out 3 responses to this inquisition. You're a patient guy.;)

Reaction Score
You are correct the AAC is full of cup cakes--there are few conferences so cup cake--it's almost a div 3 conference--there are not good teams is
AAC . UConn gets such an easy schedule in the NCAA's because they always beat cup cakes.
I woul d like for you to announce loudly and wildly about this cup cake conference and how UConn is so over rated to all your friend on all those WBB blogs you go to---I truly would appreciate you letting MD, Baylor, ND, US Carolina, etc how easy it must be to beat a team that only plays cup cakes.

Whoa cowboy, maybe you should re-read my post slowly to comprehend what I actually said....don't just jump to the "cupcake" part. You must of missed the part that was written prior to cupcake. "....most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their belief...etc..etc"

Reaction Score

Hey great that you came on here and welcome.
Yes-- you made a personal choice which isn't a big deal of it's own. But it's not as much you turning off the game -- it's that you said/implied that the UCONN women aren;t good for the game. You are specifically calling out UCONN when you made the below statement.

"But, these continual blowouts are not good for women's basketball;"

Please tell me-- if I and others think that statement is wrong, how else can we express it? I don't think you know what you are talking about when you make this comment and IMO the comment that you made is nonsense. But as I said in my 1st post- you tried to add credibility to your point that you are this credible fan. Sure you are credible to an extent but not all of your comments are right, are they? Or did you come on this board just because you wanted everyone to agree with your pov? On other threads - for me at least this topic will all be forgoteen. But again- what if I think yoru comment that UCONN is not good for the game is garbage?

You say I'm over the top yet I think akra Lawaon, Rebecca Lobo, Dors burke, Jay Bilas, Bob Ryan and many others would agree with me and claim you are the oen out of your mind. Sure you have people that think like you and believe UConn si bad for the game. I think you and anyone else who feels that way is wrong and am willing to talk about rather than throw it out there and then run away. And then some poster refers tomy posts as if it is an inquisition? My God!!! Like you-- I wanted to talk basketball. SO I asked questions because I don't thin you are right. Is that so wrong? .

I've asked you to further explain your pov by asking you a series of questions. It's okay if you don't want to. But to then to classify yourself as a "fan" - I wanted to read how you possibly think that UCONN is bad for the game in which you singled them out-- then I wanted to hear your comments on how garbage quality games would somehow attract the young male audience. You came up with nothing to counter that. So the next time you or anyone says what I feel is a ridiculous (in which I believe Kara, Rebecca, Doris, Jay and Bob would all agree with me) statement that UCONN women are bad for the game, they are going to get challenged. Especially on a UCONN board!!! :)

As I said welcome and this will be forgotten on other threads. And if you want to discuss it more on this thread, I'll be happy to oblige. And by the way, you might be able to do searches on here regarding this topic of "if UCONN is bad for the game," - and that comment is sort of mocked (directly or indirectly) on here. No one will hold a grudge on here if that is your pov though. Unless you instigate that over-and-over and other stuff like that a lot.

Welcome!!!:):)

Reaction Score
Whoa cowboy, maybe you should re-read my post slowly to comprehend what I actually said....don't just jump to the "cupcake" part. You must of missed the part that was written prior to cupcake. "....most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their belief...etc..etc"
I am not a cowboy--although I like their orange and black--I consider myself a Sooner. Spent more time in Norman than way up north there.
I was being facetious--and the point of all that was to --tell everyone UConn played cupcakes--so no one playing UConn would expect the level they would be hit with---The word in the context of cup cakes--unless described further on, which they were not, do not in any way --your posting from being contemptuous of the AAC . For followers of opponents of UConn --most people--will see this game as justification to bolster their belief in the ----cupcake status and thus the lack of competition UConn has faced--words , even legal words don't always convey what we'd like to have conveyed. --So I'll accept your explanation and move forward --and hope all opponents have read about the cup cakes UConn has faced and be shocked --with the whirlwind of UConn--- enjoy the no basketball days--they get more like this.. Cupcake was such a fun word to jump on --more fun than jumping on "justification" or bolster their belief" those are no fun at all, there is no ring to them. Cup cake--congers up all kinds of vision to have fun with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT saying they breezed through the season. I am saying their conference IS WEAK from 2-11. So while it's nice USF, Temple, UCF and Tulane have all made strides, they are still significantly weaker than ANY other conferences 2nd to 5th place teams. That's all I am saying. The UConn does not have much control over that, which is why Geno schedules OOC the way he does.
As far as a P5 invite, why would they invite UConn? The two main Revenue drivers are Men's Basketball and Football. While MCBB has been good, I don't see them as "MUST SEE" tv to warrant inclusion anywhere. As far as football goes, seriously? No college football in NEW ENGLAND will ever contend on the national landscape. While the NYC/Boston corridor has significant value, the revenue sports are not enough to sway. I would love to see them in the Big12 but we need them more than they need us.

Do you remember the BIG EAST where UConn regularly Breezed through the schedule with some exceptions like ND, DePaul--even they on some years were breezes. The AAC breeze--I wonder if other programs think it would be a breeze playing in the AAC?? I admit that the OOC for the conference hasn't been actually great--it is actually getting better--point is UConn made both conference better by being in them...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom