Would Ollie jump to the NBA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would Ollie jump to the NBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope he never leaves. The NBA is a win now league. A head coach barely ever gets more then 3 years to win or they are out the door. Look how many coaches the Nets have gone thru in the past couple years. Or look at Mike Montgomery the old coach of Stanford. He was a great college coach, leaves a job with Stanford that he could have been at for life. He goes onto the NBA and lasts only 2 years now he is at Cal. Its very hard to land an NBA coaching job that is likely to last numerous years. For every Popovich there is 20 Mike Montgomerys or Squids. Good NBA jobs rarely ever open so its always a rebuilding effort which are very hard to do in the time frame the NBA gives you. Hoping he is a Husky for life.

Reaction Score
I think its definitely something to worry about, Fred Hoiberg's background is very similar to KO's and he is already being mentioned for NBA jobs after back to back seasons of reaching the 2nd round in the tourney. If KO were to do the same and go beyond you will hear talk seeing how respected he is in NBA circles.

I'm not saying he'd never leave, I just don't think he'd jump at it at this point, and especially not just because of money. Maybe when his kids are out of the house and he's been established at UConn for a while. If the first phase is any indication, offers are going to come.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If they throw money at him he'd leave in a heartbeat.

he could of had more money being an asst in the NBA than coming to UConn, yet he still came to UConn for peanuts

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm sure Butler fans were thinking the same thing last summer. "Stevens would never leave. He's Butler blue thru and true."

Reaction Score
I'm sure Butler fans were thinking the same thing last summer. "Stevens would never leave. He's Butler blue thru and true."

Coaching a team for 6 years to 2 national championship games and then leaving to coach one of the most storied franchises in sports is a bit different than saying Ollie would "leave in a heartbeat" is some unspecified "they" "throw money at him."

Seriously, what is it that you've read about Ollie that makes you post, with certainty, that he'd jump at the first chance to coach in the NBA based on the money? You seem to be always certain, but rarely correct.

Reaction Score
It would hurt but I could not fault KO for at least entertaining an NBA gig if offered, especially from a title contender or historic franchise.

Orrrrr...part of me wants to see Boneyard Armageddon in a few years where the C's fire Stevens and hire KO!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Coaching a team for 6 years to 2 national championship games and then leaving to coach one of the most storied franchises in sports is a bit different than saying Ollie would "leave in a heartbeat" is some unspecified "they" "throw money at him."

Seriously, what is it that you've read about Ollie that makes you post, with certainty, that he'd jump at the first chance to coach in the NBA based on the money? You seem to be always certain, but rarely correct.

So if someone offered you 4 million dollars per year to coach basketball, you wouldn't take it? People always follow the money. Sure he'd love to stay at UConn, but UConn can't offer him the perks that he can get from an NBA franchise.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So if someone offered you 4 million dollars per year to coach basketball, you wouldn't take it? People always follow the money. Sure he'd love to stay at UConn, but UConn can't offer him the perks that he can get from an NBA franchise.
Color me naive, but I take the man at his word. He's banked 20 mil. He's talked about the importance of family on several occasions. Gushed over walking his daughter to the bus stop. I have a hard time believing the nba would not come with family sacrifices. And I have a even harder time picturing KO making those sacrifices for $ or noteriety. Just because Ollie's character is rare doesn't mean it's not genuine. This guy is not cut from the same cloth.

Reaction Score
If we were in a strong conference there's nothing to discuss because that was a component of the "dream" in dream job. If the conference holds him back in getting players and competing for titles down the road then maybe he goes. That's why even though Manuel is ""done looking" our conference has to raise up or we have to get some place better.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
not for another college, but could for a really good nba team

Really good NBA teams don't usually need a new coach. Ollie is 10 toes in for UConn. He's not going anywhere for a long, long time.

Reaction Score
Arent his kids almost out of school? Once they go to college, who cares where your parents live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom