Would not watch WCBB without UCONN | The Boneyard

Would not watch WCBB without UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone feel the same? I could not watch WCBB w/o UCONN. Only reason i watch "other" games now is to check out our competition. Having watched yesterday's game UK vs. SC and Duke vs. NC, i am reminded how pathetic these games look. So painful these games are and the only reason these games are considered "must watch" or "great games" as spewed by announcers are because these teams are equally incompetent that keep the games close. Their respective fans go wild on tv but as an outsider, i feel these games are unwatchable. Typical UCONN games on tv end in about 1 hour 45 minutes. Duke vs. NC ended in about 2 hour 20 minutes from tv start time yesterday. Hacking fouls, timeouts and etc...its like pulling teeth trying to end a game! Just my thoughts and enjoy our dynasty while it lasts!

Reaction Score
I have to agree.

If not for the Huskies, hoop would be dead to me.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Anyone feel the same? I could not watch WCBB w/o UCONN. Only reason i watch "other" games now is to check out our competition. Having watched yesterday's game UK vs. SC and Duke vs. NC, i am reminded how pathetic these games look. So painful these games are and the only reason these games are considered "must watch" or "great games" as spewed by announcers are because these teams are equally incompetent that keep the games close. Their respective fans go wild on tv but as an outsider, i feel these games are unwatchable. Typical UCONN games on tv end in about 1 hour 45 minutes. Duke vs. NC ended in about 2 hour 20 minutes from tv start time yesterday. Hacking fouls, timeouts and etc...its like pulling teeth trying to end a game! Just my thoughts and enjoy our dynasty while it lasts!

This year is the first in some time that I've felt similarly. This seems like a real down year in WCBB. The SC/Kentucky game was more like a rugby match. Not just because of all the fouls, but because frankly neither team played worth a damn.

Reaction Score
This year is the first in some time that I've felt similarly. This seems like a real down year in WCBB. The SC/Kentucky game was more like a rugby match. Not just because of all the fouls, but because frankly neither team played worth a damn.

Same could be said for Duke/UNC. Hard to believe that the coach's poll has UNC at #11.

I'd also include Arizona St in the group of awful...ranked #10 in both polls, and even #12 in Sagarin, but struggled to beat 3 pretty bad teams in USC, Utah and Colorado. If the national champ isn't UConn or Notre Dame it will be stunning.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If convenient, I'll watch a Tn/ND and a very, very very meager other games, but none at all, if UConn gives over women's bball to cricket.

Reaction Score
I'd probably watch less but I wouldn't abandon the sport entirely. I could also say the same thing about the men's team. My interest ebbs and flows with the success of the teams.

Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree....... USC/KY and UNC/Duke were supposedly marquis match ups.... and they did not appear to be sound basketball at all..... but games i guess can be exciting even if you aren't playing well because your opponent is not playing well either...

We are playing at a different level..... and I am very proud of that..... Though the path to go all the way through the tournament to another title is not guaranteed..... but with the mindset and preparation we have, we have an unbelievable opportunity to get there..

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have felt that way for years. I blame UConn.
I will admit as die-hard UConn fan I do find it hard to watch other teams. When you get use to a certain level of play watching anything else can drive you nuts. For me its the level of intensity. I have tried to watch other top teams play and there aren't really any that play a 40 minute game like UConn. The walking on offense in the SEC drives me nuts. The flopping in the Big 12 same thing. I watched a bit of that Penn State game last week and they are basically a shell of their former selves and being on the East coast I don't really get to watch too many PAC12 games not that I think I even would. I love the sport don't get me wrong but UConn can cause you to hold WBB to a standard it just isn't ready for as a whole.

Reaction Score
I too,agree. With Directv I get a lot of channels (practically all but PAC-12) and I try and watch as many as I can,but I find it nigh on to impossible to sit through an entire game.I did see most of UK-SC,but Duke-UNCheat was just way too ugly.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Striper69 said:
I'm just a WBB fan in general. I've had a great time watching Delaware and Maryland games in person this year. Usually the Delaware games are pretty closely contested. I like the school atmosphere as well. I think WCBB is awesome!

Completely agree. I'm a fan of the sport and will watch probably forever.

For me the woman's game is more enjoyable because it's fun to watch these kids do 4 years and get better each year unlike the men who bolt to NBA after one season.

It also changes for me as I have daughters who enjoy the sport and I enjoy taking them. We are season ticket holders to both Depaul and Northwestern so we have plenty of games to see.

The atmosphere in Evanston yesterday at the Maryland game was phenomenal. Family of 5 proudly sporting our UCONN gear. Several people spoke to us about the sport and UCONNs success.

It's given me a chance to see all the B1G and big East teams this season and for me I wouldn't change anything.........except maybe a B1G invite for HuskyNation ;)

Reaction Score
I am a little sad and embarrassed about it :(, but I agree as well. There is an excitement about the skill and quality of the team basketball that UConn plays that keeps me hooked :p. It is wonderful when we have a competitive game - the adrenaline flows. :) This year, with the level of competition, I have found it hard to watch some of our games since our standard (perhaps that is not the right term?) seems to drop :confused:. In fact, at the senior night game I attended yesterday I found our play dropped off markedly (turnovers, bad passes, disjointed offense, etc. :mad:) the last 10 minutes and I almost left early :eek:, but I did stay and I have to be honest that the drop-off the last 25% of the game left me disappointed :oops:.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree.. USC/KY and UNC/Duke were supposedly marquis match ups.... and they did not appear to be sound basketball at all..... but games i guess can be exciting even if you aren't playing well because your opponent is not playing well either...

We are playing at a different level..... and I am very proud of that..... Though the path to go all the way through the tournament to another title is not guaranteed..... but with the mindset and preparation we have, we have an unbelievable opportunity to get there..
Hey Bayareahusky~

USC is the University of Southern California, the Gamecocks are simply South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. I'm a fan of the sport and will watch probably forever.

For me the woman's game is more enjoyable because it's fun to watch these kids do 4 years and get better each year unlike the men who bolt to NBA after one season.

It also changes for me as I have daughters who enjoy the sport and I enjoy taking them. We are season ticket holders to both Depaul and Northwestern so we have plenty of games to see.

The atmosphere in Evanston yesterday at the Maryland game was phenomenal. Family of 5 proudly sporting our UCONN gear. Several people spoke to us about the sport and UCONNs success.

It's given me a chance to see all the B1G and big East teams this season and for me I wouldn't change anything....except maybe a B1G invite for HuskyNation ;)
I forgot to add that I've attended as many Princeton games as I could since I saw them play Delaware.

Same thing though- lot's of fun going to the games!

I think these guys don't go to games and are talking about watching them on tv.

That's a different story cause you don't get to know the players too well from watching on tv. Support your local colleges and go to their games.

You might enjoy yourselves.

Reaction Score
Lurker, i agree with you. When we play bad, i get frustrated and annoyed. Its because i know we can do better and we have no business playing bad. With these other teams, i feel their level of play is really for the most part their norm. Hence, that's what makes it unwatchable. I don't feel they can improve that much to make it watchable. I'm just spoiled, i guess.

Reaction Score
I'd probably watch less but I wouldn't abandon the sport entirely. I could also say the same thing about the men's team. My interest ebbs and flows with the success of the teams.
You are a "fair-weather fan" not a loyal fan !!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I found SC-UK to be totally unwatchable but watched and enjoyed a patch of Nebraska-Ohio State. Depends on the game. Most of the Big Ten plays pretty fluidly. I'd probably rather watch a mediocre Big Ten game than a marquis SEC game.

Reaction Score
I probably won't watch if UConn wasn't as good. I find myself watching other good teams because of UConn.

Reaction Score
I saw Doris doing a men's game a couple weeks ago; Dayton vs. I can't remember. A few minutes before the half there were about 45 points scored and the announcer's made the point that not a single assist had been recorded. Her voice sounded just like all these posts bravely fighting off indifference, boredom, etc. Too bad she's been spoiled doing our gal's games.

Reaction Score
We need to win as many NC's as possible so that no program can ever approach us in that department. If and when uconn does fall from the mountain top, i don't want some mediocre program, say, the caliber of today's Duke, NC, SC or any other wannabe's to win and say they are just as good as us. Can you imagine if the championship game was like yesterday's slugfest? What a travesty!

Reaction Score
Most of us are just plain spoiled. What a shame. It is obvious that Geno is at fault and when he retires there will be a lot of people that will sue him for ruining WBB for them. The same type of people that would sue McDonalds for making them fat..... I suppose. Anyways, if there is some type of class action suit, I'm in.

Reaction Score
I'm just a WBB fan in general. I've had a great time watching Delaware and Maryland games in person this year. Usually the Delaware games are pretty closely contested. I like the school atmosphere as well.

I think WCBB is awesome!

I feel the same way. I am a WBB fan in general. I will attend Minnesota Gopher Women's basketball games. I will watch WBB games on TV or stream games from overseas. Heck I have been following Northern Arizona and Montana St WBB programs for the last 6 years! Plus I coach high school girls (JV) basketball. I have been a fan of WBB since I watched my first game back in 1982. I was 12 years old. I just love WBB and basketball in general. I am just a huge fan.

Reaction Score
You are a "fair-weather fan" not a loyal fan !!

I suspect they meant that their interest in the rest of the sport waxes and wanes with the success of the team, not their interest in the team itself.

This year, I follow the men's team as much as in any other year, but I'm not casually watching other games, because there's a very small likelihood that this men's season will amount to anything that involves those other teams. In a better year, I'd be interested in seeing who the top teams are, care about seeding position, and want to get a feel for who we're likely to encounter in the Tournament.

On the OP's point, I completely agree. I happened to leave on Duke-UNC and SC-UK, and found both very difficult to watch. The quality of play is everything the chauvinist detractors say it is. Only UConn, recently ND, and occasionally another team or two (e.g. Baylor, Stanford, Duke in good years) are watchable, and I usually don't bother to watch unless it involves us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom