Worst Loss in CT Sports History | The Boneyard

Worst Loss in CT Sports History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thirty years ago today, the Canadians beat the Whalers in OT in game 7 to win the Adams Division Final of the Stanley Cup. It's the ultimate "what if" game. If the Whale wins that game, they win the Stanley Cu (the Habs only lost 2 games the rest of the way). And if they won the Stanley Cup the would still be in Hartford, in a new building. Hartford would have become the Green Bay of the NHL.

Reaction Score
I was at game 6, a 1-0 win by the good guys. Unbelievable atmosphere. It was the loudest crowd of any game I have ever been to. Man, did I love the Whalers. F... Karmanos and F... Rowland.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I knew what it was when I saw the title. I've watched highlights from that series in YouTube about a thousand times.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I remember a prominent ESPN color analyst picking the Whale to win it all. Over Calgary, I think.

Claude duck*ing Lemeiux.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rangers would've knocked them next round.

Great whale team though.

Reaction Score
I think a close second in Whaler losses is game 4 against the Bruinsin 1990 first round series. Whalers lead 2-1 in games and take a 5-2 lead into the third period at the Civic Center and they give up 4 unanswered goals and wind up losing the series in 7.

Reaction Score
Thirty years ago today, the Canadians beat the Whalers in OT in game 7 to win the Adams Division Final of the Stanley Cup. It's the ultimate "what if" game. If the Whale wins that game, they win the Stanley Cu (the Habs only lost 2 games the rest of the way). And if they won the Stanley Cup the would still be in Hartford, in a new building. Hartford would have become the Green Bay of the NHL.
To be accurate it was 30 years ago yesterday. Same night Clemens struck out 20

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To be accurate it was 30 years ago yesterday. Same night Clemens struck out 20

I know my dad and I went up to a neighbors house for both those games that night. I was in high school (If my math is right I was towards the end of my sophomore year). I think we watched the Whalers on TV and listened to the Sox.

Who would have been carrying Whalers' games back in the 80's?

Reaction Score
I know my dad and I went up to a neighbors house for both those games that night. I was in high school (If my math is right I was towards the end of my sophomore year). I think we watched the Whalers on TV and listened to the Sox.

SportsChannel?

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking what if we won the Fiesta Bowl ? I know we weren't supposed to but that game held a lot of potential for us.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Prism.

Reaction Score
I think a close second in Whaler losses is game 4 against the Bruinsin 1990 first round series. Whalers lead 2-1 in games and take a 5-2 lead into the third period at the Civic Center and they give up 4 unanswered goals and wind up losing the series in 7.
I was at that game. It was sickening.
The worst part was bus loads of black clad young Bruin fans came down and took over the Civic Center.
We were pelted by debris until that group was finally ejected.
I also was at the parade ,accidentally.
A couple of us were at a software show in the Civic Center and actually caught the parade.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I would love to have a newer state of the art facility in Hartford, the city would have a different look and the state could actually host some tournament games

If all that would have changed, then that would be the biggest loss in CT's history

But what about losing the Patriots? If the NFL doesn't step in very late in the game, that would have been some catch. Some of you haters would be fans today too :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was at that game. It was sickening.
The worst part was bus loads of black clad young Bruin fans came down and took over the Civic Center.
We were pelted by debris until that group was finally ejected.
I also was at the parade ,accidentally.
A couple of us were at a software show in the Civic Center and actually caught the parade.

Bruin fans were starting fights at the urinals, it was kinda surreal

I use to joke for years after that I always wanted the Bruins to advance, if only to keep their fans off the streets for a few more weeks.

Reaction Score
The game we missed our 1st shot at a final 4 when Donyell missed two free throws. I also remember a Miami game where we had a two point lead and the ball under Miami's basket with 2-3 seconds. We in-bounded badly and Miami hit a 3.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The game we missed our 1st shot at a final 4 when Donyell missed two free throws. I also remember a Miami game where we had a two point lead and the ball under Miami's basket with 2-3 seconds. We in-bounded badly and Miami hit a 3.
Our first shot at a F4? So '89-'90 was just a dream? Damn, seemed real enough to me.

The Miami game was in 2001, Darius Rice with the buzzer beater. Deep foul trouble forced Shamon Tooles to be in a situation he was not prepared for. Still, had Taliek (and others) made some free throws, Miles' heroics would have been moot.

Reaction Score
The Patriots were never moving to Hartford. Bob Kraft was just using us to get a better deal. John Rowland being the that he is lost the only major league team that Hartford ever will see. Hartford would be so much better if The Whalers were still here.

Reaction Score
Previous message had a word describing Rowland deleted. Just say it described an opening in one's posterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom