Word is Les Miles | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Word is Les Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Miles is great, but this fan base has had its fill of coaches trying to win games 14-10. Just not a fit for us. P had impressive resume when he came here. All time leader in wins in Big East history.

You need to score points in this conference. Every team puts up points in bunches.

Don Brown and Todd Orlando I could get behind, because they've coached solid defenses on teams with explosive offenses, so it isn't about ball control and field position with those guys.
Normally I'd agree, but this fan bases has not had its fill of coaches with national championship rings. You're right that hiring a defensive guy is in nearly all cases not the right move for UConn in a league of offense-minded coaches. That said, none of those guys have won a ring, won two SEC titles, finished in the top 10 five times, won 10 games seven times, and did all of that in the toughest conference in the country. Putting him in the same category of antiquated defense-first coaches as P, Diaco, and even Edsall is the wrong way to view it. If Miles is interested, he absolutely must be interviewed.

Edit: You can also take it to the bank that if Miles were hired, season ticket sales would skyrocket based on curiosity alone. Whether he built the program to be successful enough to maintain the interest from the new car smell would remain to be seen.

Reaction Score
Les Miles? LSU Les Miles? Am I missing something here? Is Miles that broke? Does he want to enter the train wreck that is UC football? Does he want the pain and frustrations? The idea of Les Miles is about as probable as Rex and Rob Ryan coming to UC as a package deal.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah. Why would we want a coach with a 0.721 winning percentage in 16 years where his only losing record was his first year at OSU and his next worst record was 7-5. We should drop hm from consideration because of all the points you mentioned and overlook the primary metric of wins and losses. He is a winner. Proven. Period.

And yet he was fired...and hasn't been re-hired.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Normally I'd agree, but this fan bases has not had its fill of coaches with national championship rings. You're right that hiring a defensive guy is in nearly all cases not the right move for UConn in a league of offense-minded coaches. That said, none of those guys have won a ring, won two SEC titles, finished in the top 10 five times, won 10 games seven times, and did all of that in the toughest conference in the country. Putting him in the same category of antiquated defense-first coaches as P, Diaco, and even Edsall is the wrong way to view it. If Miles is interested, he absolutely must be interviewed.

Edit: You can also take it to the bank that if Miles were hired, season ticket sales would skyrocket based on curiosity alone. Whether he built the program to be successful enough to maintain the interest from the new car smell would remain to be seen.

He's the ideal coach in a league of offensive minded coaches. His teams routinely shut down Alabama and others, he just couldn't score enough on Bama. But there's no team in the AAC that can't be scored upon. I'd love to be the best defensive team in the American. All you'd need is a competent offense. Everything I've seen from his LSU teams suggests that he believes in winning the battle at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I agree with that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And yet he was fired...and hasn't been re-hired.

He didn't get the Texas job is not the same as not getting re-hired.

He is being paid a lot not to coach and isn't going to take some bottom feeder job in the P5. He isn't coming here either, but it's fun to think about.

He will wait for a good job with a good situation and he will get it. Maybe Harbuagh goes back to the NFL. Maybe Meyer retires again. Maybe Saban does. That is the level of job Les Miles is stalking. The UT job is nuts, he may have even turned it down. He definitely turned down Houston, or at least wanted an easy exit for another job that UH wasn't going to abide.

My guess is that he takes over A&M, OU, Michigan or OkSt if those jobs come open in the next year or two. He will be looking for a loaded roster.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He didn't get the Texas job is not the same as not getting re-hired.

He is being paid a lot not to coach and isn't going to take some bottom feeder job in the P5. He isn't coming here either, but it's fun to think about.

He will wait for a good job with a good situation and he will get it. Maybe Harbuagh goes back to the NFL. Maybe Meyer retires again. Maybe Saban does. That is the level of job Les Miles is stalking. The UT job is nuts, he may have even turned it down. He definitely turned down Houston, or at least wanted an easy exit for another job that UH wasn't going to abide.

My guess is that he takes over A&M, OU, Michigan or OkSt if those jobs come open in the next year or two. He will be looking for a loaded roster.

When I said he wasn't re-hired...I wasn't referring to any job specifically. He was available and jobs were filled and he is still available. My point was that despite his high winning percentage he was fired this year and not hired. Who knows why he didn't get hired...but it can be an indicator of perceived capability.

He can't wait that long for an opening....he isn't getting younger.

I will say that a Miles hire would get UConn good PR. And if he hired a good OC, it could work. I just would prefer someone more offensively creative.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He'd be crazy to take another job with that buyout and at his age unless he absolutely can't live without coaching. Why work to get paid when you can make the same money for not working? Also, I had no idea he was 64. I assumed he was in his 50's. Having PP flashbacks now.

I only know maybe two people who are relatively successful and their personality wouldn't let them just sit around, I'm sure someone as successful as Miles is similar.

Reaction Score
Well ...

With that money on the table, it is not like you - as UConn - can't go to SEC LSU and say: "Let us pay $800k ... and you can reduce your liability to Miles accordingly. " And obviously, given Diaco, that is attractive.

I do like the notion that we think like Burton, Shenkman, etc. Someone is there saying ... push Diaco, but I WANT Brand Y. I think Miles might be that thought and I agree with the analysis of what his options are. He can bring the force to New England with obvious Florida, Texas then New England, New Jersey, PA, MD recruiting and I like that he sees the Offensive side need. I do think he will have a guy looking for redemption in a pass happy spread league.

Then ... a deep pocket guy will want (if Moorhead, Orlando, Michigan coordinators aren't available) to not want another high Coordinator that we don't know. That brings in Wilder and Houston and successful HC at the lower level.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but can he wait a year and get a better gig? Nothing is going to happen fast @ UConn, even with him or a Schiano, etc. And what if it doesn't improve much, then what.

I only know maybe two people who are relatively successful and their personality wouldn't let them just sit around, I'm sure someone as successful as Miles is similar.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
24-17 beats 52-46 any day in my book.

You must be a Giants fan from way back.

I grew up with the old AFL. Loved Air Coryell and the Greatest Show on Turf. Narduzzi has me actually watching Pitt games. Some of them from inside Heinz Field. Their defense was mostly crap, but they provide major entertainment for your sporting dollar.

Reaction Score

I grew up with the old AFL. Loved Air Coryell and the Greatest Show on Turf. Narduzzi has me actually watching Pitt games. Some of them from inside Heinz Field. Their defense was mostly crap, but they provide major entertainment for your sporting dollar.
Unfortunately the maestro for that high flying offense is now in Baton Rouge working for Coach O.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Nope. Patriots, and then the Chiefs. I did like the Rams of the 70's. Defense wins championships. It was true in the BCS last year. True in the NFL. True when UConn beat Butler, and later Kentucky for titles.

C

chiller99.5

I would prefer a head coach who has cultivated talent rather than built a program based on recruiting talent.

Reaction Score
I would prefer a head coach who has cultivated talent rather than built a program based on recruiting talent.
You still have to get the players to play up to their talent and miles did that

Reaction Score
If a known quantity like Miles would come to Storrs you grab the guy immediately. If this is viewed as a gateway gig you get the most proven guy because it brings instant credibility and recognition to the table and by definition the gateway gig coach is going to leave for a better situation likely sooner rather than later if he has on-field success. So hiring a guy that has had success in the most competitive league in the land is a no-brainer.

If one of the reasons Diaco got canned was his inability to welcome Kill aboard in an OC capacity imagine what DB would say to the fans if he could that would criticize a Les Miles hire.

Questioning the potential of hiring Les Miles is akin to Fairfield fans complaining that Jim Calhoun was going to be their next hoop coach.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If a known quantity like Miles would come to Storrs you grab the guy immediately. If this is viewed as a gateway gig you get the most proven guy because it brings instant credibility and recognition to the table and by definition the gateway gig coach is going to leave for a better situation likely sooner rather than later if he has on-field success. So hiring a guy that has had success in the most competitive league in the land is a no-brainer.

If one of the reasons Diaco got canned was his inability to welcome Kill aboard in an OC capacity imagine what DB would say to the fans if he could that would criticize a Les Miles hire.

Questioning the potential of hiring Les Miles is akin to Fairfield fans complaining that Jim Calhoun was going to be their next hoop coach.
Same for Mark Helfrich.

Reaction Score
Let's just wait for the 49ers to fire Chip Kelly. He'll want to go back to college and UConn is the clear choice. Instant offense. :)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think we're all missing the forest for the trees here. We should hire the Wake Forest guy from the car wash, if he actually exists. Nobody knows more about CFB than him, and I'll bet we can get him very cheaply.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
He can't wait that long for an opening....he isn't getting younger.
He's not getting younger, but they're basically backing up a dump truck full of cash into his mansion. Which means... he's not coming here or probably even most P5 jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom