Women's Basketball is "like a monarchy, where one team can't be beat, and all the rest . . ." | The Boneyard

Women's Basketball is "like a monarchy, where one team can't be beat, and all the rest . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchjur

NYC Fan
Reaction Score
See Coach Joanne P. McCallie's press conference at - where (at the 11.06 mark) she says "I have always said that right now women's basketball is like a monarchy where one team can't be beat, and all the rest can beat each other."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I thought Coach P's comments during her press conference were classy about her team and especially the Seniors. That was most relaxed that I've seen her after a loss. I'm wondering how long it will be before the AD says she's not being fired and/or replaced.

Mike Flynn tweeted after the game wondering how long before all the issues are made public. I'm paraphrasing his tweet.

Reaction Score
It's probably more comforting to focus on the fact that UConn is better than everyone else than to realize that all the other coaches that have recruited as much talent as she has over the past few years are still dancing.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn IS in a class by itself. But ND, although second best, is also in a class by itself. In the last two years, they have only lost to UConn, and a fluke loss to FSU ( without Reimer). Duke needs to get by ND first, before they even think about UConn....

Reaction Score
UConn IS in a class by itself. But ND, although second best, is also in a class by itself. In the last two years, they have only lost to UConn, and a fluke loss to FSU ( without Reimer). Duke needs to get by ND first, before they even think about UConn....

I thought the same thing. I want other teams to beat ND and nobody has been able other than UCONN and the game they were w/o Reimer. I'd be super-surprised we didn't see them in the finals. -- ----And next year.

Reaction Score

Actually, ND lost to Miami. not FSU.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Actually, ND lost to Miami. not FSU.
Thanks, my memory isn't what it used to be. I don't mind being corrected.

Stated differently, WCBB currently has three tiers:

Top tier: UConn
Second tier: ND
Third Tier: everybody else.....

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How many teams can lose TWO All Americans, and come back stronger than ever? Actually, it may be difficult to even find another team with two AAs.

And UConn loses another AA this year, and still looks to be even stronger next year. Must be frustrating for other coaches...

Reaction Score
See Coach Joanne P. McCallie's press conference at - where (at the 11.06 mark) she says "I have always said that right now women's basketball is like a monarchy where one team can't be beat, and all the rest can beat each other."

The ND Baylor winner gets the SC vs Fl St winner. That 1 team I believe can make a game of it. If Fl St can climb that mountain they are the only team I think whose players haven't played Uconn and that's never a good sign.
MD or TN have talent but I don't think (could always be wrong) they stay with Uconn 40 mins.
I think the refs have been more lenient in the women's games then the men's, but a game where everything is called can easily effect the outcome.

Reaction Score
At least she said something good about some of her players this time. Maybe she's been reading the BY.

Reaction Score
Ironically this was her best press conference. Lots of "we" and praising players.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Think someone may have mentioned something to her?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach P thinks that Maryland is comparable to Louisville, SC, NC, Miss. St., et al. Those are the teams who can beat each other. She apparently thinks that the Terps can't challenge the Huskies.

Maybe this statement reflects why Duke dropped us from their schedule--if you can't beat 'em, don't play 'em.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
What a defeatist attitude. I'm not happy about that analogy if I'm the Duke AD paying her big salary. And if I'm a recruit considering Duke based on receiving both an excellent education and a chance to win a Natty, I'm given pause by a coach resigned to believing the latter is not achievable in the Auriemma Era.

Reaction Score
What a defeatist attitude. I'm not happy about that analogy if I'm the Duke AD paying her big salary. And if I'm a recruit considering Duke based on receiving both an excellent education and a chance to win a Natty, I'm given pause by a coach resigned to believing the latter is not achievable in the Auriemma Era.

It does make it interesting for a recruit. But I am surprised about her attitude though. I mean in her book, she tooks about Choice Not Chance highlights lessons for building a fierce competitor, such as "Going against the grain," "Never become satisfied," and "Enjoy the prospect of getting better daily." Maybe she is saying, be a fierce competitor up until you meet that really great team, then just be okay with just being okay.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good response by Brenda - hate listening to her pressers, but written down she hit all the points.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Bring on all challengers. Wait a minute there aren't any. Well shes saying what I believe. Everybody else is playing for second place despite a fluke. Last nite in the second half UConn played perimeter defense and shut down Dayton. One heck of game for both teams. However UConns defense is just off the charts good. MD will have problems dealing with UConn underneath. Stewart is like Superwomen. She just shows up when shes needed. What a terrific performance by her last nite as well as the entire UConn team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom