Women Olympics team | The Boneyard

Women Olympics team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who made it to the team as an alternate? God forbid anyone gets injuried, but is there anyone selected as an alternate that practices and travels with the team?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who made it to the team as an alternate? God forbid anyone gets injuried, but is there anyone selected as an alternate that practices and travels with the team?

650x366

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There were no alternates named to the team. One suspects that if an injury occurred before they fly to Rio someone would be added and probably from the select players, but who knows - once the competition begins I believe you cannot add a player to the twelve named in the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was slightly surprised, especially given that the exhibition game is in Los Angeles, that neither Candace Parker nor Nneka Ogwumike was named to the Select team. Perhaps naming Parker would have been viewed as an effort to embarrass her, given the controversy about her non-selection to the Olympic team. Or maybe she was invited to join the Select Team and declined the offer. Maybe Nneka was also invited but declined in solidarity with her teammate.

I continue to believe that Nneka should have been picked for the Olympic team over Seimone Augustus, who is well past her prime.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was slightly surprised, especially given that the exhibition game is in Los Angeles, that neither Candace Parker nor Nneka Ogwumike was named to the Select team. Perhaps naming Parker would have been viewed as an effort to embarrass her, given the controversy about her non-selection to the Olympic team. Or maybe she was invited to join the Select Team and declined the offer. Maybe Nneka was also invited but declined in solidarity with her teammate.

I continue to believe that Nneka should have been picked for the Olympic team over Seimone Augustus, who is well past her prime.

Why would a two time Olympian be named to the Select team...? :confused: Parker could use the rest to heal her body.... think she's been dealing with a ankle or foot injury of some sort.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think the reason has to do with areas on the floor they are best at offensively and defensively and not 'how good they are'. Nneka is primarily a 15 ft and in defender and offensive player and Seimone is a 15 ft and out player. Nneka is a fabulous player but international play has no defensive three seconds and that puts a higher emphasis on mid range and three point offense, and defending on the outside.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Just a question. Since Nneka wasnt born in USA can she play for the team?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes, I believe she could, if asked. As I recall it, soccer player Sydney Leroux was born in Canada, but plays for team USA. There are several loopholes in the IOC definition of "citizen." The most often employed one that I'm aware of is the dual citizenship angle.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I think the reason has to do with areas on the floor they are best at offensively and defensively and not 'how good they are'. Nneka is primarily a 15 ft and in defender and offensive player and Seimone is a 15 ft and out player. Nneka is a fabulous player but international play has no defensive three seconds and that puts a higher emphasis on mid range and three point offense, and defending on the outside.
Augustus is a very poor 3 point shooter especially this year where she is shooting 25% from 3. Both Nneka and Parker are shooting much better from 3. Augustus isn't having the best season but she does have a good mid range game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Augustus is a very poor 3 point shooter especially this year where she is shooting 25% from 3. Both Nneka and Parker are shooting much better from 3. Augustus isn't having the best season but she does have a good mid range game.
Nneka has taken 13 three point shots in 24 games, and Seimone 28 in 25 games so basically one three point shot every two games for Nneka and 1 every game for Seimone - neither percentage number really is driving their game nor is it based on a high enough number of attempts to be rated in the league stats.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From everything I've read, all of the Ogwumike children were born in Texas. The Ogwumike parents moved to the United States for their College education. So I don't think she'd have any issues playing for the team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I doubt that we will see Seimone and Angel taking many three pointers in these games. They were chosen because they have good mid-range games and you need that in addition to 3-point shooters. The team has plenty of good three point shooters in EDD, Stewart, Maya and Bird, all shooting over 40% for this WNBA season. DT has been streaky this WNBA season and is only shooting 36% but I have no doubt she will take her share of three pointers and probably make a higher percentage.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
From everything I've read, all of the Ogwumike children were born in Texas. The Ogwumike parents moved to the United States for their College education. So I don't think she'd have any issues playing for the team.

The only strike against her is that Texas thing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My oldest granddaughter is working with the USA women's team today as an aid. She just sent me a selfie of her and Maya Moore. She also told me she got me 3 tickets for tomorrow night's game at the Staples
Center which is right in my backyard, only 35 miles away. I was going anyway, but now I don't have to pay, yippee. The Staples Center is the place to be today if you like men's/women's basketball. The entire women's team is there to support the men's team, and interact with the fans. My granddaughter says ALL of the women players are very friendly.

I also attended the Men's game in Las Vegas Friday night at the new T-Mobile Arena. Geno was there. The game was sold out. My son who is working security the entire weekend (Vegas/L.A.) for team USA, was able to score me and the wife some tickets for that one too. I'll be wearing my UConn gear tomorrow night, and hopefully can take a pic or two with some of our UConn alums. Life is good. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Per Wikipedia - Nnemkadi "Nneka" Ogwumike (born July 2, 1990) is an American basketball player of Nigerian descent for the Los Angeles Sparks of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA),

Born
(1990-07-02) July 2, 1990 (age 26) Tomball (Harris County), Texas, USA.
Harris County is in the south-east part of the state.
Nationality: American
Listed height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Listed weight 175 lb (79 kg)
Career information
High school
Cypress-Fairbanks
(Cypress, Texas)
College Stanford (2008–2012)
WNBA draft 2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1st overall
Selected by the Los Angeles Sparks

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nneka has taken 13 three point shots in 24 games, and Seimone 28 in 25 games so basically one three point shot every two games for Nneka and 1 every game for Seimone - neither percentage number really is driving their game nor is it based on a high enough number of attempts to be rated in the league stats.

Nneka won the last C t Sun game with a 3 (her first and only one for the game)
Not really what she does, but in a pinch; if you leave her open in crunch time...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Per Wikipedia - Nnemkadi "Nneka" Ogwumike (born July 2, 1990) is an American basketball player of Nigerian descent for the Los Angeles Sparks of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA),

Born
(1990-07-02) July 2, 1990 (age 26) Tomball (Harris County), Texas, USA.
Harris County is in the south-east part of the state.
Nationality: American
Listed height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Listed weight 175 lb (79 kg)
Career information
High school
Cypress-Fairbanks
(Cypress, Texas)
College Stanford (2008–2012)
WNBA draft 2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1st overall
Selected by the Los Angeles Sparks
OK thanks for clearing that up. She would be able to play. The section people missed both her and Candace.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My oldest granddaughter is working with the USA women's team today as an aid. She just sent me a selfie of her and Maya Moore. She also told me she got me 3 tickets for tomorrow night's game at the Staples
Center which is right in my backyard, only 35 miles away. I was going anyway, but now I don't have to pay, yippee. The Staples Center is the place to be today if you like men's/women's basketball. The entire women's team is there to support the men's team, and interact with the fans. My granddaughter says ALL of the women players are very friendly.

I also attended the Men's game in Las Vegas Friday night at the new T-Mobile Arena. Geno was there. The game was sold out. My son who is working security the entire weekend (Vegas/L.A.) for team USA, was able to score me and the wife some tickets for that one too. I'll be wearing my UConn gear tomorrow night, and hopefully can take a pic or two with some of our UConn alums. Life is good. :cool:

How dare you to post such envy-inducing verbiage. Outrage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom