Wojo weighs in... | The Boneyard

Wojo weighs in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As big of a college football fan that I am, I would die a slow death if the ACC scenario played out with ND being #15 and they took RU for #16.
That thought has crossed my very concerned mind too. For those that say 'not a chance', take off the Husky blue glasses for just a sec. We can't completely dismiss it.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't even want to think about it. Uconn makes more sense given what we bring to the table in a lot of aspects. I can still see BCU whining about it until ND tells them to sit down and shut up, we want Uconn coming with us.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the "NBC money" comment. Under the current deal, it is far less than the other conferences (except the BE) and they rev share with visiting teams. Surely the addition of ND would bump the numbers. No one wants to flinch first, but if I was the ACC I would give some concession on $ for certain thresholds. Their bowls alone would improve significantly.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine the ACC basketball schools would put up a huge stink over RU since it would be a significant downgrade in quality. On the football field, the level of play is roughly equal, maybe giving us a slight but probably negligible edge. It would really come down to A, who does ND want (I have to think Brey and Muffet would lobby hard for us), and B, do they believe RU carries NYC more than we do, because RU's proximity to NYC is the only thing that keeps them in the discussion. The sum of the quality of play among the three big sports is massively in our direction.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that ND would, all things being equal, rather play us in football than RU as a conference foe. Northern NJ is prime ND recruiting territory -- they have no interest in elevating Rutger's recruiting status in tha area by making it seem in any way as if RU is their "peer" in football.

The only advantage RU has would be if they would play ND in the Meadowlands. We take that away if we are ready to make that concession.

But, having said that, there is no negative outcome that I am counting out of happening.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If ND goes to the ACC and it's between RU and us for the last ACC spot, would it be time to change to #BegHardest?

Reaction Score
I have to say that I agree with Wojo's analysis as to why the ACC for the Irish, though. They are just a better fit in so many ways.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
We just need to ensure that Rutgers doesn't win the conference this year and go to a BCS bowl. Because then they might get some momentum behind their invitation from the 'football' schools that are already hesistant to take UConn and BC would quickly join in on their bandwagon as well.

Reaction Score
As big of a college football fan that I am, I would die a slow death if the ACC scenario played out with ND being #15 and they took RU for #16.

Not really sure nd s going to be calling any shots if/when they join the ACC.
nd s first and foremost concern will be keeping as much TV money as possible. Not telling others whom they will bring.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
maybe Geno should stop publicly on ND if there is any chance of it coming down to this?

Reaction Score
They may not call any shots but they can definitely barter with the ACC and ask for concessions with regard to their TV contract. ND would probably want Uconn over Rutgers and a large segment of basketball schools in the ACC would want Uconn too. Add in the outstanding men's and women's soccer teams, field hockey, etc and Uconn clearly has an edge there. The ACC benefits in lots of ways. In hoops you would have BC, Cuse, Pitt, Dook, UNC playing us in really BIG games made for prime time. Rutgers doesnt nring any of that to the table and they aren't a football power.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As to who goes with ND if they go to the ACC, it should be Uconn for a variety of reasons. Our football program is growing. Rutgers had one or two very good years and then have been mediocre at best. Basketball, both our men's and women's programs are far superior to Rutgers. Our men and women's soccer programs are also very good, nationally ranked, and the ACC has some of the top soccer programs around.

Reaction Score
As to who goes with ND if they go to the ACC, it should be Uconn for a variety of reasons. Our football program is growing. Rutgers had one or two very good years and then have been mediocre at best. Basketball, both our men's and women's programs are far superior to Rutgers. Our men and women's soccer programs are also very good, nationally ranked, and the ACC has some of the top soccer programs around.
Notre Dame won't have a say on who goes to the ACC. They are not exactly in the drivers seat despite their TV income. I'm not sure how much the other sports matter but if they do Rutgers will be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom