Woeful hitting……. | The Boneyard

Woeful hitting…….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay if there was ever a time Yankee and Red Sox fans could share in something it is now. Both teams are extremely hard to watch on offense and being a Yankee fan in WesMass, I hardly enjoy watching my Yanks even when they're on TV. Whether it's a weekend series with the Sox when I get all the games or MLB station, which they get a lot of visibility, this is just a hard team to watch. They scored a few runs against each other somehow, then they both go back to normal with low scoring losses vs their next opponents.

I ask you Sox fans, are you feeling the same way - is it difficult to stay on the NESN and not wander to a good TV show because of the pain? Look at the Yanks: Gardener at .283, the 40 yr old Jeter at .276 and Ellsbury at .280 then the bottom falls out…….lucky to find anyone above .235……….pitiful.

I'm going to the Stadium today for a 1pm game vs the Rays and would rather work…..sorry not kidding. Does that make me a crappy fan? I don't know I've always been excited to see the stadium but the most exciting thing for me today is we're bringing a customer who hasn't been to the new Stadium. Showing him around will be fun but then guess what, I have to sit there and watch this team on offense.

As a Yankee fan it's time - time for them to throw the towel in and begin the revamping. Jeter's retiring and it's time to get younger and quite saving careers of crappy players. I can handle it for while and with their money it shouldn't be more than a couple years anyway. JUST DO IT………….

Reaction Score
Awful year....both teams stink primarily because they cannot hit. Boring to watch. Actually painful to watch.

Amazing thing is that as bad as they both are....they are both in it in the now weak AL East. Yanks are like only two back in the loss column. That said..hard to see either of them making a serious run they are both so anemic at the plate....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan it's time - time for them to throw the towel in and begin the revamping. Jeter's retiring and it's time to get younger and quite saving careers of crappy players. I can handle it for while and with their money it shouldn't be more than a couple years anyway. JUST DO IT………….

I agree with you 100%. And I think Steinbrenner (Hal) does too. But the minor league system is still failing the team badly this year. They're about to empty the bank on international players, but most are young teens years away, if they ever make it. (They're expected to sign the top international prospect - who's only 16!) Seems like we've been hearing about Sanchez forever.

But that goal is at odds with the Yankee DNA which is the team always has to be in contention. And the only way to do that without an in-house talent pipeline is signing veterans, who are often on the downside of their careers - Soriano, Ichiro, Beltan. NY simply doesn't have the young talent in numbers to acquire guys like Price. Even when they do have young talent, they go out and sign a guy like McCann, essentially devaluing a guy like Murphy.

The Cano deal is also really hurting this year, as everyone knew it would. So great, NY won't have to overpay him when he's 40. But damn, his bat would look good in the line-up. It was a perfect storm of a mess. NY briefly - briefly - decided to hold the line on long-term contracts, and Cano, with Jay-Z whispering in his ear, wanted an ARod contract. (Think he misses the brighter lights of NYC yet?) If he were a free agent today, do you think NY would go a few more years?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Okay if there was ever a time Yankee and Red Sox fans could share in something it is now. Both teams are extremely hard to watch on offense and being a Yankee fan in WesMass, I hardly enjoy watching my Yanks even when they're on TV. Whether it's a weekend series with the Sox when I get all the games or MLB station, which they get a lot of visibility, this is just a hard team to watch. They scored a few runs against each other somehow, then they both go back to normal with low scoring losses vs their next opponents.

I ask you Sox fans, are you feeling the same way - is it difficult to stay on the NESN and not wander to a good TV show because of the pain? Look at the Yanks: Gardener at .283, the 40 yr old Jeter at .276 and Ellsbury at .280 then the bottom falls out…….lucky to find anyone above .235……….pitiful.

I'm going to the Stadium today for a 1pm game vs the Rays and would rather work…..sorry not kidding. Does that make me a crappy fan? I don't know I've always been excited to see the stadium but the most exciting thing for me today is we're bringing a customer who hasn't been to the new Stadium. Showing him around will be fun but then guess what, I have to sit there and watch this team on offense.

My best golfing buddy is going to the game today as well. He's maybe more put off by the team this year than I am.. We all know how hard the Bummers are to watch . I repeat what I wrote earlier, the Long as batting coach era has not been anything more than jack it out offense. Maybe that's Girardi's preference. They should notice how often their pitchers give up run scoring singles and doubles by batters going with the pitch instead of striking out, hitting weak grounders or pop ups because they are trying to pull everything. Teams overshifting with runners in scoring position is an invitation to hit the ball the other way. Shouldn't that be part of hitting coaching? Isn't hitting all about getting the fat part of the bat on the ball?

Not sure what the problem is with the Sux hitters, but the reason why the top of the Yankee order guys are hitting okay is that they are the only 3 who more or less regularly go the other way along with the other guy down the order named Ichiro who is now a part time player. I get that the Yankees want Texiera, McCann and Beltran to hit the long ball, which is fine with no one on or a guy on first, but the approach needs to change against the overshift with runners in scoring position.

Reaction Score

For what it is worth, I completely agree with you. I haven't watched a single Sox game this year. I used to record them and wait to see if they won and then decide but now I don't even record them.

It may be more interesting to watch the grass grow then watch the Sox hit. Two years ago when they dumped Adrian Gonzales, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett, and then did not do a whole lot to improve the team in the winter, I thought that hitting would be their biggest problem. But the 2013 team was a great scoring team and always did enough to win. In the playoffs they beat two teams - Tigers and Cardinals - who had more talent. It was just a magical combination and John Farrell looked like a genius.

Fast forward to 2014, and with almost the same roster, the Sox have become one of the worst teams in all of baseball. They are dead last in runs scored in the AL and second from last in team BA. I am sure that Farrell is frustrated. He has tried many different combinations and nothing seems to work.

I actually feel pretty good about the future. They have a lot of good young players both on the team and in the minors. I think I'll just take this year off.

Reaction Score
One guy who has been good and I vastly underrated is Brett Gardner. Very good player. Does a bit of everything including way more pop in bat than I thought (I thought he was not more than a good 4th OFer a few years ago). Biggest issue I see is he is a very average baserunner/stealer for someone so fast...weird.

Agree 60sfan on Sox young talent---word is our minor leagues are loaded....we will see.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like getting updates on the kids, but I don't have to look hard for something to distract me from the actual games these days, especially when one of the most unlikeable players in the entire league is catching for the Red Sox. How do they go from Salty to that dumpster fire?

Reaction Score
I like getting updates on the kids, but I don't have to look hard for something to distract me from the actual games these days, especially when one of the most unlikeable players in the entire league is catching for the Red Sox. How do they go from Salty to that dumpster fire?
The Sox have two excellent candidates for catcher down on the farm. 23 year old Christian Vazquez is an excellent defensive catcher with a cannon of an arm. He is also a decent hitter. He is currently at Pawtucket and is ready for the bigs by all reports. 22 year old Blake Swihart is very good defensively too and is probably the better hitter of the two. He is a switch hitter while Vazquez hits from the right side. Blake probably needs a year at Pawtucket before he is ready. The only question at this point is which one is better.

Salty wanted a multi-year deal and the Sox were not ready to give it to him. He had developed into a good hitter but was never strong defensively and his game calling was lacking. The Sox sat him for most of the World Series. He had a strong arm but he was very erratic. If he would have been willing to sign for one year or even two, we would never have seen Pierzynski.

I think Vazquez will be called up before year end. The only hold-up is how soon do you want to start his free-agent clock.

In other news, slick fielding Deven Marrero just got moved up to Pawtucket. I think the Sox may be getting ready for a block-buster trade.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm aware of all that you say. In the end, I was just agreeing with you and Mau.

I see a lot of promise down on the farm. I just dont like how they are all being put to the fire at once.

Re: the catchers in Pawtucket and Portland, Ross is done next year so bring up Vazquez to back up Salty. Then Vazquez becomes either equal or primary in 2016, and outright primary in 2017 when Salty's deal is up. I thought a three year deal was optimal for him, as catchers typically take a while to develop...and I was never a fan of A.J...

The Sox have two excellent candidates for catcher down on the farm. 23 year old Christian Vazquez is an excellent defensive catcher with a cannon of an arm. He is also a decent hitter. He is currently at Pawtucket and is ready for the bigs by all reports. 22 year old Blake Swihart is very good defensively too and is probably the better hitter of the two. He is a switch hitter while Vazquez hits from the right side. Blake probably needs a year at Pawtucket before he is ready. The only question at this point is which one is better.

Salty wanted a multi-year deal and the Sox were not ready to give it to him. He had developed into a good hitter but was never strong defensively and his game calling was lacking. The Sox sat him for most of the World Series. He had a strong arm but he was very erratic. If he would have been willing to sign for one year or even two, we would never have seen Pierzynski.

I think Vazquez will be called up before year end. The only hold-up is how soon do you want to start his free-agent clock.

In other news, slick fielding Deven Marrero just got moved up to Pawtucket. I think the Sox may be getting ready for a block-buster trade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm aware of all that you say. In the end, I was just agreeing with you and Mau.

I see a lot of promise down on the farm. I just dont like how they are all being put to the fire at once.

Re: the catchers in Pawtucket and Portland, Ross is done next year so bring up Vazquez to back up Salty. Then Vazquez becomes either equal or primary in 2016, and outright primary in 2017 when Salty's deal is up. I thought a three year deal was optimal for him, as catchers typically take a while to develop...and I was never a fan of A.J...
I hear what you are saying but Farrell and others would rather have Ross and his weak hitting than Salty and his weak defense. Some members of the pitching staff were requesting Ross rather than Salty. I think what we'll see next year is Ross and Vazquez dividing the catching duties. If you want someone mentoring your young catchers, it probably wouldn't be Salty.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying but Farrell and others would rather have Ross and his weak hitting than Salty and his weak defense. Some members of the pitching staff were requesting Ross rather than Salty. I think what we'll see next year is Ross and Vazquez dividing the catching duties. If you want someone mentoring your young catchers, it probably wouldn't be Salty.
We may see Vazquez by the time the World Cup wraps up, never mind 2015.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The YAnks are so bad even Sterling said something bad about them the other night...stating the infield defense is terrible.

Reaction Score
The YAnks are so bad even Sterling said something bad about them the other night...stating the infield defense is terrible.

The defense is terrible………Derek is a 40 yr old SS, not Omar Vizquel 40 but more like Mau 40……..Roberts isn't too good and Kelly Johnson when at 1st is a butcher. Solarte is okay everywhere but not an everyday guy - yet he is………..and while we know Tex is real good there he's had it rough for him…………all this and they can't hit. The may never see .500 again this year!

Reaction Score
LOL

Great hands and glove but even in his heyday Jeter had the range of a Mau 30

His range was real good to his right but below average to his left throughout his career……always shaking my head watching slow ground balls heading to CF a few feet to SS side of the bag and he was nowhere in sight at times…….but his hands were really good and he made all the plays he had to for most of his career and made some beauties to the 3rd base side……..but I was quicker to me left than he was in my heyday!! LOL…..now at 54 I can't go either way any faster than roadkill……..

Reaction Score
That is true...brutal to his left but good going to his right and his going to his right jump and throw in the hole was a classic....great ballplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom