Mine:

Washington Mystics

Phoenix Mercury

Minnesota Lynx

Atlanta Dream

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Those are my picks, but I would like to see Chicago beat Atlanta so that we see more of the talented young players on that team. I hope EDD can play major minutes. Does anyone know when Vandersloot is ready to return?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
  • Indiana over Wash - giving it to Catch...she will put it in another gear
  • Phoenix over LA - LA has struggled to much to flip a switch at this point
  • Minnesota over SA - although SA will win their home game I am thinking
  • Chicago - it is a short series so EDD should not be too tired
I predict Phoenix and Indy to get to the finals

Reaction Score
I just wanted to keep it for the first round. Someone else can post a thread about the later rounds.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Really wish they would seed that way we could see Minny v Merc in the final.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really interesting matchups, anything can happen.
San Antonio playing good ball, Becky could go off, not impossible
LA has underachieved all year, who knows?
Chicago, Atlanta is pick-em as is Washington, Indiana.

Permutations and combinations indicate to me it's really difficult to get them all correct
What is it 24-1 Random? (Sorry if I got that all wrong, I'm just a dumb ex-musician).

It almost has the feel of a random series.
I'll pass and let the genius' make the picks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Indiana, Phx, Minny, Atlanta. But honestly, the eastern conference is a crap-shoot. Washington and Chicago could just as easily win. I think those 4 teams are more evenly matched than the western conference. I expect both Phx and Minny to sweep their series...

Reaction Score
Phoenix's matchup with LA concerns me because of all the talent that has been relatively dormant all year in the Sparks lineup. Best of threes are always scary. Atlanta, has a history of post season overachieving that will continue this year. Washington is in it, they have a chance, but they need a go to player. A ton of talent in Chicago; Another scary matchup.

Reaction Score
You can't count out any team with Tamika Catchings on it so I believe it will be Fever over Mystics. Minnesota & Phoenix should win their series without a ton of difficulty- those 2 teams are clearly the class of the league right now. IF Elena Della Donne can play decent minutes I think the Sky can beat the Dream. IF.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think the biggest question about Chicago - now that they're (almost) healthy - is their mental toughness. They have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory so often it makes me wonder about Pokey (flashing back on LSU's last second heartbreaker to TN). Of course, the Dream have been wildly inconsistent... All I can say is someone in pale blue uniforms will move on.

Mystics are young - don't know if they can overcome a Indy team that has had to come together.

Lynx/Phx both in two.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think the biggest question about Chicago - now that they're (almost) healthy - is their mental toughness. They have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory so often it makes me wonder about Pokey (flashing back on LSU's last second heartbreaker to TN). Of course, the Dream have been wildly inconsistent... All I can say is someone in pale blue uniforms will move on.

Mystics are young - don't know if they can overcome a Indy team that has had to come together.

Lynx/Phx both in two.

The last thing you should question about Chicago after this season is the mental toughness. At the beginning of this season, yes, but this season has been nothing but adversity and they've found a way to get through it.

Chicago benched the starters for their last game. Pokey wanted Atlanta and the Sky aren't afraid of Atlanta. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Those are my picks, but I would like to see Chicago beat Atlanta so that we see more of the talented young players on that team. I hope EDD can play major minutes. Does anyone know when Vandersloot is ready to return?

Vandersloot played in the last two regular season games. I don't know how many minutes she can play but expect her to start. I don't know if Delle Donne will start but she's been playing 20-25 minutes per game and I'd expect that to continue.

Reaction Score
MN: LA will finally end their suffering by taking the choke in 2!
PHX: in 2
IND: Washington not ready for prime-time, IND playoff tested
CHI: Has all the pieces back, EDD, Vandersloot, Prince, plus Faulkner has gotten invaluable experience at PG

then

MN: The PHX / MN winner is the WNBA champion!!!!!!!! Bet the ranch! Deciding factor, PHX played injury/problem free all season, MN was tested each game!
CHI: After all the heartache season they'll get to the finals but no-one touches MN/PHX

then

MN: It could just as well have PHX as the last women standing, but I think all the injuries have made MN into the "junk yard dogs" mean enough to win the title!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The last thing you should question about Chicago after this season is the mental toughness. At the beginning of this season, yes, but this season has been nothing but adversity and they've found a way to get through it.

Chicago benched the starters for their last game. Pokey wanted Atlanta and the Sky aren't afraid of Atlanta. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nope. I still question their mental toughness... I respect how they've handled the ins and outs of injuries, but they have a history of not being able to close out games because of mental brain farts - this season included. I'm waiting for them to prove me wrong. I'm hoping they will.

Reaction Score

If NY were in the playoffs I'd be worried.

IMO- the Sky haven't had their vets back long enough. Atlanta's starters have been playing all season. I just hope Angel's foot problems don't hold her back (another case of year-long playing hindering a WNBA star).

Reaction Score
Phoenix's matchup with LA concerns me because of all the talent that has been relatively dormant all year in the Sparks lineup. Best of threes are always scary. Atlanta, has a history of post season overachieving that will continue this year. Washington is in it, they have a chance, but they need a go to player. A ton of talent in Chicago; Another scary matchup.

My pick of a possible upset would be LA over Phoenix. If LA can get Griner do overdo the blocked shots thing and get into foul trouble...

and LA can get DT T'd out of a game or two then an upset could happen.

Also if Toliver has a hot hand in this series. She started to show signs of turning it on in the last couple of weeks...

Reaction Score
You can't count out any team with Tamika Catchings on it so I believe it will be Fever over Mystics. Minnesota & Phoenix should win their series without a ton of difficulty- those 2 teams are clearly the class of the league right now. IF Elena Della Donne can play decent minutes I think the Sky can beat the Dream. IF.

I wouldn't bet against Hartley and Dolson coming on strong in the playoffs and making the difference here. The UCONN factor could play out...

looking forward to these playoffs.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't bet against Hartley and Dolson coming on strong in the playoffs and making the difference here. The UCONN factor could play out...

looking forward to these playoffs.

1. There have only been three WNBA MVP's and two WNBA Finals MVPs out of UConn.
2. Is there a high positive correlation between UConn players and WNBA team success?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nope. I still question their mental toughness... I respect how they've handled the ins and outs of injuries, but they have a history of not being able to close out games because of mental brain farts - this season included. I'm waiting for them to prove me wrong. I'm hoping they will.

I guess I'm just quibbling over definitions. Late-game execution is still a problem. I don't know if that's the same as or related to mental toughness. Is the problem that they fold under pressure or that Pokey draws up a mediocre plays. Probably a little of both.

Also, some of the late game situations they botched this year are related to not having the best players available. I mean, they're not drawing up last-minute plays for Quigley if EDD is in the lineup.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If NY were in the playoffs I'd be worried.

IMO- the Sky haven't had their vets back long enough. Atlanta's starters have been playing all season. I just hope Angel's foot problems don't hold her back (another case of year-long playing hindering a WNBA star).

Vets plural? EDD has been back for a little while now (and has been pretty effective in limited minutes). Vandersloot is obviously a major unknown. In person (against the Stars B-team) she looked like her normal self on Sunday. Except she got winded a little bit faster. Although she always looks winded because her face goes bright red when she exerts herself.

Reaction Score
They're the two players I'd say are key to their success though.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am really excited about the Chicago vs Atlanta series. DeSouza and Syl will pretty much cancel each other out but Syl is more prone to foul trouble than DeSouza.

Reaction Score
Although Washington lost I thought most of them played a good game. They just need to block out Catchings and not foul her so much.

Meeseman had a very solid game 7-10 on field goals and she made all of her foul shots.

They should even it up on Saturday. On the fence as to whether I'll go to the game or not.

Reaction Score
I was disappointed in Stephanie's play in this game. It seemed that every time that she got in the game , she committed a turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom