WNBA Must Address Domestic Violence | The Boneyard

WNBA Must Address Domestic Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NBA, NFL, Hockey league, WNBA should have a continuing campaign disavowing / against Domestic Violence!!
However, I'm sure this isn't popular, I believe it is a violation of ones Civil Rights to lose one's job over being accused or convicted of Domestic Violence. I believe if tested in the Supreme Court, which uses the Constitution (usually) as their guide, it would fail that test. Understand please that I am against all violence Domestic or otherwise--but people MUST be allowed to have a means of supporting themselves and their families.

Reaction Score
The NBA, NFL, Hockey league, WNBA should have a continuing campaign disavowing / against Domestic Violence!!
However, I'm sure this isn't popular, I believe it is a violation of ones Civil Rights to lose one's job over being accused or convicted of Domestic Violence. I believe if tested in the Supreme Court, which uses the Constitution (usually) as their guide, it would fail that test. Understand please that I am against all violence Domestic or otherwise--but people MUST be allowed to have a means of supporting themselves and their families.
A RUSH TO JUDGEMENT would be wrong. Make a clear head decision, one that the league can live with 10 years from now--knee Jerk laws are the new WAVE of jurist prudence--I detest people being railroaded because of the sign of the times approach. Taurzi (DT) is a great friend and so is Sue . I like everything DT said, that's the kind of friend kids need in times like this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A RUSH TO JUDGEMENT would be wrong. Make a clear head decision, one that the league can live with 10 years from now--knee Jerk laws are the new WAVE of jurist prudence--I detest people being railroaded because of the sign of the times approach. Taurzi (DT) is a great friend and so is Sue . I like everything DT said, that's the kind of friend kids need in times like this.
Wait- did you just post a response to your own post before the rest of us could read the original? That should be some kind of rule against that. I'm going to need some time to see which post I agree/disagree with.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Other than banning BG and Johnson from the 2016 Olympics I am not sure what options USAB has to punish them. The only thing I can imagine is a probationary period.

It will be interesting to see if the WNBA hands out equal punishment to both Griner and Johnson since they were both involved and it sounds like had equal roles in the incident.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I read this my sense was Voepel only quoted interviews with USA basketball players who said they thought there should be some punishment or consequences for Griner. Who knows how many, "It's their business - let them sort it out" type quotes she didn't print?

Is it possible that Griner and Johnson are the only two players in the WNBA who have dealt with physical violence in their relationship? That would be hard to imagine.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Griner and Johnson are the only two players in the WNBA who have dealt with physical violence in their relationship? That would be hard to imagine.
Very doubtful, but the high profile instances of record involve retired players, Holdsclaw of course comes to mind, also another extremely bad behaved player whose name I forget from earlier years, involved in several violent incidents, at least one domestic IIRC.

As to the case at hand, I think punishment is appropriate, however, I always fear over-reaction with "hot-button" issues. The punishment should be commensurate with other punishments that indicate unacceptable behavior for a "role model" professional athlete that to some extent is always representing the league and team brand. At the same time, the legal punishment is essentially counseling and completion there-of gets the charges dropped. To use a phrase I have used before, it ain't a federal case, as they say.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Generally. professional athletes have some sort of a (mis)behavioral clause in their contract that makes them legally vulnerable to suspension or worse.

As for the Supreme Court. it is, after all, an appelate court, so it won't rule on anything until a case makes it through lower courts and the Supremes think it worthy of being heard. Griner v. Johnson hardly meets that rigid standard.

And, BTW, where in the US Constitution is there any guarantee that people MUST be assured that they can provide for their families?

Reaction Score
Generally. professional athletes have some sort of a (mis)behavioral clause in their contract that makes them legally vulnerable to suspension or worse.

As for the Supreme Court. it is, after all, an appelate court, so it won't rule on anything until a case makes it through lower courts and the Supremes think it worthy of being heard. Griner v. Johnson hardly meets that rigid standard.

And, BTW, where in the US Constitution is there any guarantee that people MUST be assured that they can provide for their families?
The pursuit of liberty and happiness. Obviously, if one follows legal actions one knows that lower courts, up thru the process to the Supreme, no one ever mentioned going directly to the final step. The STANDARD is what ever standard the courts rule upon.
Are we into a legal debate here?? Then it would be proper to view your credentials!! Never taken on legal actions without knowing your adversary. First rule. Remember in Harvard court room views 101??

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The pursuit of liberty and happiness. Obviously, if one follows legal actions one knows that lower courts, up thru the process to the Supreme, no one ever mentioned going directly to the final step. The STANDARD is what ever standard the courts rule upon.
Are we into a legal debate here?? Then it would be proper to view your credentials!! Never taken on legal actions without knowing your adversary. First rule. Remember in Harvard court room views 101??

I have no legal credentials, but I know that that "pursuit of happiness" phrase is not in the Constitution. Try the Declaration of Independence.

Reaction Score

That is from the Declaration of Independence not the U.S. Constitution.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This matter has nothing to do with Constitutional law anyway.

A respected legal mind just gave me justification to recuse.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it just me? I have been struggling with the purpose and tone of the article for a few days now. My take away from the selective interviews is that the WNBA “must” suspend/punish Griner & or Johnson to show/take a stance against Domestic Violence.
I deplore domestic violence in all forms and I believe the WNBA should take a stance but not at the price of Griner & or Johnson. Griner & Johnson’s situation/punishment should be determined by the specific circumstances of their actions during and after the incident. For them to receive additional punishment based on the outcry from the public & need of the league to send a message is wrong IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very doubtful, but the high profile instances of record involve retired players, Holdsclaw of course comes to mind, also another extremely bad behaved player whose name I forget from earlier years, involved in several violent incidents, at least one domestic IIRC.

As to the case at hand, I think punishment is appropriate, however, I always fear over-reaction with "hot-button" issues. The punishment should be commensurate with other punishments that indicate unacceptable behavior for a "role model" professional athlete that to some extent is always representing the league and team brand. At the same time, the legal punishment is essentially counseling and completion there-of gets the charges dropped. To use a phrase I have used before, it ain't a federal case, as they say.

The reaction of some fans reminds me of the OJ Simpson case. There are many who believed OJ to be guilty and therefore waited for an opportunity for him to be punished for a crime that went unpunished. There are many who felt that BG was not properly punished for "the punch" who now see an opportunity for her to be "properly" punished and want punishment for this incident that far outweighs what the punishment should be. Add to that the fact that the NFL has brought "domestic violence" to the forefront and many people want to tag this incident as a domestic violence incident when, IMO, it does not meet the standards for the "traditional" definition of domestic violence where one person is the obvious victim. Does it need to be addressed by the WNBA? Yes. Should it be addressed as domestic violence? No, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32