WNBA Free Agency Starts Today | The Boneyard

WNBA Free Agency Starts Today

Reaction Score

So which teams will be vying for EDD? Let's see who can predict the EDD deal that actually will happen. :eek:

Reaction Score
Aren't there firm (and relatively low) salary caps at the individual player level? Just wondering how the deal making process works. What negotiating leverage or carrots/sticks does a given team have?

Reaction Score
I believe Elena has suggested she would like to play with the Washington Mystics. This is the closest team to her home and family

Reaction Score
I believe Elena has suggested she would like to play with the Washington Mystics. This is the closest team to her home and family

Right. So if the Mystics wanted her, they would have to offer her the maximum salary of $107,000. They'd also have to make sure they had sufficient room under the team's overall cap by trying to anticipate who else they might pick up and who they might waive, so that all of the numbers work. I guess any lack of available room on the team cap could right away prevent some teams from from being able to make offers. And you'd have to think that a lot of teams operate close to their overall $750,000 cap, given how low it is. Quite the balancing act. No wonder its so rare to see the veteran stars of this league change teams. (Not sure if my cap figures are fully up to date, by the way.)

She's a star of such magnitude that if a team wanted her badly enough, I suppose they would just find a way to offer her the individual maximum and hope that she wants to play with them. Hence, she'll end up with Washington because that's where she wants to be.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Right. So if the Mystics wanted her, they would have to offer her the maximum salary of $107,000. They'd also have to make had sufficient room under the team's overall cap by trying to anticipate out who else they might pick up and who they might waive so that all the numbers work. I guess any lack of of available room on the team cap would prevent a lot of teams from from bargaining right away. And you'd have to think that a lot of teams operate close to their overall $750,000 cap, given how low it is. No wonder its so rare to see the veteran stars of this league change teams. (Not sure if my cap figures are fully up to date, by the way.)
Think home town discount on the Salary for Elena because she can make it up with endorsements like these. This is a bill board in Wilmington, DE last year.
DelleDonne.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom