WNBA Early Draft Questions | The Boneyard

WNBA Early Draft Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
I have a few Sports Management questions I'm hoping one (or more) of you can answer...

If a college athlete declares themselves available for the NBA/WNBA draft, does that make them ineligible to return under scholarship? If yes, why? Are they under "professional" contract and no longer considered amateur? If no, at what point does that happen?

For example, Jewell Loyd declaring herself for the draft early. By doing this, is she giving up that eligibility she has remaining? Can't imagine it happening, but what if a team did not pick her up? Could she go back to ND and play? Or, what if she changed her mind - what's the no looking back point?

Cheers,
T

Reaction Score
I have a few Sports Management questions I'm hoping one (or more) of you can answer...

If a college athlete declares themselves available for the NBA/WNBA draft, does that make them ineligible to return under scholarship? If yes, why? Are they under "professional" contract and no longer considered amateur? If no, at what point does that happen?

For example, Jewell Loyd declaring herself for the draft early. By doing this, is she giving up that eligibility she has remaining? Can't imagine it happening, but what if a team did not pick her up? Could she go back to ND and play? Or, what if she changed her mind - what's the no looking back point?

Cheers,
T
She has until five days prior to the draft to undeclared or she becomes ineligible for college play. If she is not drafted she becomes a free agent and can sign with any team.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
She has until five days prior to the draft to undeclared or she becomes ineligible for college play. If she is not drafted she becomes a free agent and can sign with any team.

Thanks for the reply! I'm just trying to understand the logistics behind it. Is that declaration considered a contract? The NCAA allows you 4 years as an amateur so at what point are you considered a professional if you've not signed a professional contract/been paid to play? There seems to be this grey area I can't get my head around.

Reaction Score
If you hire an agent you lose eligibility, otherwise you can test the waters and still go back to school

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
2 questions from me, if anyone knows.
1)Are WNBA teams required to keep #1 draft picks on the roster, for the first season. I would think the top 5 picks are probably logical stays, but if a #1 comes to camp with a bad attitude or doesnt hustle, etc, can they be cut?

2) Suppose Loyd and Zahui both decided to leave school but didnt declare for the draft in time. Could they sign with a team as a free agent, thus giving them the choice of who to play for?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1)Are WNBA teams required to keep #1 draft picks on the roster, for the first season. I would think the top 5 picks are probably logical stays, but if a #1 comes to camp with a bad attitude or doesnt hustle, etc, can they be cut?

2) Suppose Loyd and Zahui both decided to leave school but didnt declare for the draft in time. Could they sign with a team as a free agent, thus giving them the choice of who to play for?
I know of no rule requiring any player to be kept on the roster, and can't imagine one. The players are well scouted and I think the worst case scenario is they just don't adapt to the pro life fast enough or are not as suited as scouts think to the teams need. Still, I expect most #1's end up sticking, most lower draft picks do not.

As to your 2nd point, I believe they would have to play overseas for a season, but perhaps someone knows better.

Reaction Score

The NY Liberty drafted Simmons with their first pick last year and cut her in training camp (dumbest move in the league last year).

They have to declare to be able to be drafted/play in the WNBA.

Jewell is a 100% sure thing. She isn't going to be cut.

Reaction Score
The NY Liberty drafted Simmons with their first pick last year and cut her in training camp (dumbest move in the league last year).

Sort of, but she was picked in the third round #26.

On question #2, I think there is a requirement that they have to be available in a draft before signing with a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom