WNBA Coaches? | The Boneyard

WNBA Coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As we look forward to our UConn women moving onto the WNBA, which coaches do you think do a good job with these very talented rookies?
I don't follow the WNBA that closely, especially west coast teams. Why is Seattle so bad? Even when it was obvious they were not making the playoffs, they seemed slow to give KML minutes to develop her game. Is this likely a good situation for Stewie? Would they even have an interest in Moriah as they seem to have guards?
I obviously hear more about the Sun and the coach. But what about the other lottery teams? Which coaches would likely be a good fit for Stewie or Moriah?

Reaction Score
The GM's in the WNBA vote in pre-season on best in several categories, such as best Rookie, MVP, Most Improved, Favored teams, also best coaches! The last several years the best coaches have been: Brian Agler 17% (now LA before Seattle); Dan Hughes, San Antonio, Mike Thibault, Mystics (CT Sun); Cheryl Reeve 58%, MN; Bill Laimbeer, hated but wins! NY Liberty (Detroit); Sandy Brondello, 17% PHX; (% listed is for 2015 season GM poll)
Personally I feel Anne Donovan, CT Sun, is the dregs of the leagues coaches! I am the most vehement on the BY about how bad she is as a person and a coach! Many don't agree, that's fine! She would be the last coach in the WNBA I would want Breanna Stewart to go to in the draft! She is the worst for developing young players, her most success has been with Seattle with a veteran team in 1994 and the Olympics WBB where the USA Coach is coaching the world's greatest players! The Olympic Coaches prayer is, "Please GOD don't let me F this up!" It's a major upset if the USA WBB team were to lose!

Anne Donovan WNBA Coaching Record
Coaching Record

Regular Season Playoffs
Year
Tm G W L W/L% G W L W/L% Notes
2000 IND 32 9 23 .281
2001 CHA 32 18 14 .563 8 4 4 .500 EC Champions
2002 CHA 32 18 14 .563 2 0 2 .000
2003 SEA 34 18 16 .529
2004 SEA 34 20 14 .588 8 6 2 .750 WNBA Champions
2005 SEA 34 20 14 .588 3 1 2 .333
2006 SEA 34 18 16 .529 3 1 2 .333
2007 SEA 34 17 17 .500 2 0 2 .000
2009 NYL 17 7 10 .412
2010 NYL 34 22 12 .647 5 2 3 .400
2013 CON 34 10 24 .294
2014 CON 34 13 21 .382
2015 CON 33 14 19 .424

CAREER 418 204 214 .488 31 14 17 .452

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Easy on Donovan. I simply cannot see that she is the worst (or the best).

Most of the coaches are good, at least to a point. I happen to think that Reeve, Brondello, Chatman, Thibault are very good coaches. Laimbeer and Agler are skilled coaches, neither give me a warm and fuzzy. I have always liked Dan Hughes but am increasingly unimpressed by his results as coach and GM at San Antonio. I can't read Cooper and don't have any strong opinion on any I left out.

Reaction Score
As we look forward to our UConn women moving onto the WNBA, which coaches do you think do a good job with these very talented rookies?
I don't follow the WNBA that closely, especially west coast teams. Why is Seattle so bad? Even when it was obvious they were not making the playoffs, they seemed slow to give KML minutes to develop her game. Is this likely a good situation for Stewie? Would they even have an interest in Moriah as they seem to have guards?
I obviously hear more about the Sun and the coach. But what about the other lottery teams? Which coaches would likely be a good fit for Stewie or Moriah?

1). To answer the question about which WNBA coach doing the best job with UConn rookies, the only one that I can really say did a good job was Paul Westhead (Phoenix Mercury) and his style of play that let Diana big really explosive. I like what Cheryl Reeves did with Maya Moore in Minnesota. Lin Dunn & Anne Donovan did a pretty good job with Sue Bird while in Seattle. Lin was the coach when Seattle drafted Sue but she allowed Sue to play and not try to limit Sue's playing ability.

2). Seattle is struggling because of not being a consistent team. They are young and trying to find the right combination. They are healthy one week and then hit with the injury bug the next week. So trying to keep a consistent starting lineup in place is hard. In regards to KML. Great question. I agree, you would think that they would let KML play more in order to get the reps she needs to develop more. But who knows. Is Seattle a good fit for Stewie? Heck yeah. Lyod, Stewie, KML, and Langhorne are nice pieces for Seattle to build around. You can always use a solid guard like Moriah, especially if Sue wants to take a reduce role next season and beyond.

3). Stewie and Mo are a great fit for any team. A lot depends on how they enter rookie camp, their play in those camps, and the team style of play.

Reaction Score
At 1/2 time of Seattle vs San Antonio game earlier tonight they had a great piece on KML and her trials and troubles turning her game into a product that would work in the WNBA! She found where she used to be able to get her shot off was a second or so late, so she had to relearn her skills with the new speed of the WNBA! An Asst. coach has been working with her every day and finally everything clicked and she's been performing at a high level ever since! She said the worst part was mentally trusting herself and ignoring the self doubts that she'll ever catch on! Great piece!
After watching this KML piece I'm sure Seattle would be a great fit for Stewie if they got the 1st pick! The coaches seem to have a patient thought out plan for their young players to have success in the League!
San Antonio with Dan Hughes might be a good fit also, as they're moving on as Sophia Young retires after Becky Hammond retired last year to Danielle Adams, Kayla McBride and Danielle Robinson and Sydney Colson, & Dearica Hamby.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
RSH - nice post.
Stewart's international experience and especially her time training and playing with the National team should greatly ease her transition - she has already experienced what the game looks like at the next level.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
1). To answer the question about which WNBA coach doing the best job with UConn rookies, the only one that I can really say did a good job was Paul Westhead (Phoenix Mercury) and his style of play that let Diana big really explosive.

It would nice, but it is not accurate. Westhead coached Diana beginning in her third season. Carrie Graf was the coach of the Mercury for 2004 and 2005, her first two seasons.

The biggest changes for Westhead in 2006 were moving Taurasi off the ball (default small forward), trading for Kelly Miller to play the point, and drafting Cappie Pondexter. Westhead and Corey Gaines each won a title with a similar system (though Temeka Johnson was the point guard in 2009).

On the other hand, Sandy Brondello used Taurasi as the primary playmaker, but surrounded her with two other playmakers - Penny Taylor and DeWanna Bonner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have zero opinion on the coaches other than what I read and what their records are, so I'm useless from that standpoint.

However with regards to KML - I believe her PT increased as the season went on, especially the last 10 games or so. I don't recall if it was because she didn't get it (she's only a rookie after all), was a step slow, or being only 6' and playing against the 2-3 positions, she was not a good enough defender.

But... she did see to get increased PT as the season wore on and put up some nice numbers in several games. she played in 27 games, but did not consistently average double digit minutes till the 2nd half of the season, and in the last 8 games, averaged over 10 MPG in 7 of them. She ended the season at 12.3 MPG, and 5.8 PPG, but less than 1 assist, rebound or steal per game. Not stellar defensive numbers.

Lastly, her 3 point shooting was nothing short of awful for a player of her hype and accomplishment coming out of college - 28.1% is just not good at all. Probably because she can't create her own shot and was guarded much tighter in the W than in college (where she seemed to be wide open almost all the time, even against really good teams)...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have zero opinion on the coaches other than what I read and what their records are, so I'm useless from that standpoint.

However with regards to KML - I believe her PT increased as the season went on, especially the last 10 games or so. I don't recall if it was because she didn't get it (she's only a rookie after all), was a step slow, or being only 6' and playing against the 2-3 positions, she was not a good enough defender.

But... she did see to get increased PT as the season wore on and put up some nice numbers in several games. she played in 27 games, but did not consistently average double digit minutes till the 2nd half of the season, and in the last 8 games, averaged over 10 MPG in 7 of them. She ended the season at 12.3 MPG, and 5.8 PPG, but less than 1 assist, rebound or steal per game. Not stellar defensive numbers.

Lastly, her 3 point shooting was nothing short of awful for a player of her hype and accomplishment coming out of college - 28.1% is just not good at all. Probably because she can't create her own shot and was guarded much tighter in the W than in college (where she seemed to be wide open almost all the time, even against really good teams)...
Just a guess, but I think K's shooting was off because of lack of PT and the resulting inability to develop a rhythm. I also think there was a lack of confidence. When Sue is not on the floor, no one knows how to get the ball to players in the right spot at the right time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the Storm knew they weren't going anywhere so they gave KML some reps/minutes at the end of the season

Reaction Score
The games I saw that Kaleena played in Sue was usually sitting on the bench since the game was decided by then.

The announcers were saying early in the season that she was having "conditioning" issues. I hate to agree but, like Shoni and Chelsea Gray, she may need to slim down to get the quickness to advance as a WNBA player.

Not dissing her but just telling it like it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom