WNBA 2024 pre-season | Page 22 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you would support a Coca-Cola (Georgia )product like Powerade over a Pepsico (North Carolina) product such as Gatorade.

Just between you and me, but I'm not a Pepsi fanI. I will drink the wild cherry Pepsi every so often from the machine at Jersey Mikes. I do strongly prefer Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew. Starry is my drink if choice at Taco Bell

Reaction Score
Looks like Kate Martin’s Covid year at Iowa was well-spent. There’s no way she would have made a roster last year but she had a terrific senior season. The Aces don’t really need much of anything at all so why not take a solid glue player who doesn’t have any clear weaknesses and has proven she can play among stars?

For a team that had no real positioning in the draft order, the Aces got better with their picks. Fair gives them a scoring punch, Martin can likely back up Clark, and Kitley could prove to be a solid backup center once she’s healthy. I still wouldn’t call the Aces particularly deep but they should have a much stronger bench than last year’s team that still won a title without one.

Reaction Score
I'm of the same opinion. Her Vogue magazine shoot along with this helps to show a different side of female professional athletes. I think of the impact the Williams sisters had in fashion and the initial reaction from people who thought it was odd. Considering the stereotypes out there about WNBA players, I hope examples like this help to combat the "lack of femininity" talking point.
They aren't stereotypes if it's true for a large percentage of the league.

Reaction Score
Looks like Kate Martin’s Covid year at Iowa was well-spent. There’s no way she would have made a roster last year but she had a terrific senior season. The Aces don’t really need much of anything at all so why not take a solid glue player who doesn’t have any clear weaknesses and has proven she can play among stars?

For a team that had no real positioning in the draft order, the Aces got better with their picks. Fair gives them a scoring punch, Martin can likely back up Clark, and Kitley could prove to be a solid backup center once she’s healthy. I still wouldn’t call the Aces particularly deep but they should have a much stronger bench than last year’s team that still won a title without one.

Chicago Sky secure their preseason victory at home over the New York Liberty (101-53).

And number 30 is the "best" player in the world???

Reaction Score

Doyel, who hasn't published a column for the Indy Star since April 29, was given a two-week ban, according to a report from Bob Kravitz - a former writer at the same publication.

He is expected to return to work on Monday, May 13.

'You were just given the keys to that,' he first said to Sides, referring to Clark as if she were a sportscar. 'What are you going to do with it?'

Reaction Score
I hate wnba coverage. Dallas had a media day and I'm struggling to find full interviews. I also haven't heard much from Connecticut and New York. It's kind of annoying.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Normally, a team getting drilled by nearly 50 points would be the talk of the town. But the New York Liberty (who had last season's MVP play 20 minutes for them in this game) get stomped by the Cardoso-less Chicago Sky (101-53) and...crickets.

New York Liberty vs. Chicago Sky - WNBA Game Summary - May 7, 2024 | WNBA

New York is predicted to be one of the "super teams" this year, along with Las Vegas and maybe Seattle. It doesn't look to me like the Liberty learned anything from last season's Finals series.

Reaction Score
I liked what Reese did in her minutes for the Sky. She scored a few times in the post against Stewart and JJ. She was rebounding well, and got a few great offensive rebounds. Her relentlessness on the boards will translate to the W. When she comes off the bench I think she will outwork the other second string bigs.

I'm intrigued by the Sky's post play. A rotation of E Williams, Turner, Reese, Cardoso, and Harrison is very good defensively! I wonder who out of those 5 can provide double digital scoring. I noticed they were playing Onyenwere at the 4 some last night, maybe that will be an adjustment since Cardoso will be out 4-6 weeks (which really stinks!). The Sky also played pretty small in the backcourt running a combination of Evans, Allen, and Carter quite a bit. Mabrey looked good today. Deshields didn't play much. I hope Carter has matured and can function with this team. I think she's very talented. I'm looking forward to watching the Sky. Most people are writing them off. I think they could have a better year than the Mercury (who they had a big offseason trade with).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen and his panel of experts in HerHoopsStats continue their countdown of the best players in the W; this time, going from #25 to #11. If you raised an eyebrow of Caitlin Clark being #27, well you might be in for another eye-raiser with Diana Taurasi at #25. I'll leave the reactions up to our WBB followers.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I liked what Reese did in her minutes for the Sky. She scored a few times in the post against Stewart and JJ. She was rebounding well, and got a few great offensive rebounds. Her relentlessness on the boards will translate to the W. When she comes off the bench I think she will outwork the other second string bigs.

I'm intrigued by the Sky's post play. A rotation of E Williams, Turner, Reese, Cardoso, and Harrison is very good defensively! I wonder who out of those 5 can provide double digital scoring. I noticed they were playing Onyenwere at the 4 some last night, maybe that will be an adjustment since Cardoso will be out 4-6 weeks (which really stinks!). The Sky also played pretty small in the backcourt running a combination of Evans, Allen, and Carter quite a bit. Mabrey looked good today. Deshields didn't play much. I hope Carter has matured and can function with this team. I think she's very talented. I'm looking forward to watching the Sky. Most people are writing them off. I think they could have a better year than the Mercury (who they had a big offseason trade with).
I'm thinking if anyone can get Chennedy Carter on the path upwards, it's Teresa Witherspoon. If Coach 'Spoon can get Carter to channel that energy into a (somewhat) team-oriented approach, Carter could help this team. Big step-up to the starting line-up for Dana Evans and Lindsey Allen is there to be the grown-up on the court, which she's been doing since she was an 18-year-old freshman at Notre Dame.

You're right about the front line: a lot of defense and rebounding, which is why I think Onyenwere was in the starting lineup. Mabrey can shoot until her arm falls off, but having some scoring help at wing would greatly help, as would Carter and Evans.

Reaction Score
Normally, a team getting drilled by nearly 50 points would be the talk of the town. But the New York Liberty (who had last season's MVP play 20 minutes for them in this game) get stomped by the Cardoso-less Chicago Sky (101-53) and...crickets.

New York Liberty vs. Chicago Sky - WNBA Game Summary - May 7, 2024 | WNBA

New York is predicted to be one of the "super teams" this year, along with Las Vegas and maybe Seattle. It doesn't look to me like the Liberty learned anything from last season's Finals series.
I wondered which preseason most clearly predicted the upcoming season the Mercury pathetic showing where the Liberty blowout.

I suspect New York will be in the top tier while the Mercury if not dead last will be the doormat of the West.

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen and his panel of experts in HerHoopsStats continue their countdown of the best players in the W; this time, going from #25 to #11. If you raised an eyebrow of Caitlin Clark being #27, well you might be in for another eye-raiser with Diana Taurasi at #25. I'll leave the reactions up to our WBB followers.

Ikr.....DT in limited minutes this year could easily lead the league in technicals and flagrant fouls. As the million dollar coach of the Mercury confronts the pieces he gets to put together, last night's preseason meltdown indicates a jigsaw puzzle missing most of the corner pieces.

Reaction Score
From your perspective maybe, but not mine. I'm glad these players don't try to fit into a definition and are being themselves.
I'm not passing judgement. Everyone should be who they are. But it's a fact, not a stereotype, that the WNBA has a large number of both lesbian and "butch" players. Angel may not fit into these demographics, but it doesn't change that fact.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm not passing judgement. Everyone should be who they are. But it's a fact, not a stereotype, that the WNBA has a large number of both lesbian and "butch" players. Angel may not fit into these demographics, but it doesn't change that fact.
Can we just appreciate the players for their skill sets and not go down a road that will get this thread locked? It doesn't matter what they wear, and it doesn't indicate anything about them. All of the players should feel comfortable in what they want. Although I don't understand some of the fashion and styles, I appreciate that the players are expressing their own individuality. Heck, I rarely (if ever) wear dresses and heels, and I don't let that define me. I do me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure there is a large number, but many lump those who aren't into that category without a second thought. The point I was trying to make is that what Reese is doing helps to highlight that there is more to an WNBA player than many assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom