WNBA 2024 pre-season | Page 19 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If we use the Liberty as an example, being relocated to Brooklyn has made a large difference in attendance. The pre-season game in Edmonton had over 16,000 on hand last night. Maybe somewhere in the 10,000 range like @triaddukefan suggested could work.

I recall when Dolan still owned the team and they were banished to Westchester County. The arena was small, bad, and poorly located. Now they are owned by Tsai and are playing in Barclay's Center. Such an improvement!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I seriously can’t think of a professional sports team with better on- and off-court chemistry than the Aces.

Chelsea Gray is not walking very well in that video. What's her condition?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

There you go. That one person had 2 million watch that Twitter stream!!!! Seriously WNBA. You had one job after a great NCAA season.:confused:

Yeah, they (WNBA) dropped the ball on that one! They had to have some idea that Angel Reese is also wildly popular.
And, there's no reason that the WNBA cannot promote more than one player -- CC, Angel, Brink, etc. There are so many different angles and demographics where to take advantage in each market.

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score
And, there's no reason that the WNBA cannot promote more than one player -- CC, Angel, Brink, etc. There are so many different angles and demographics where to take advantage in each market.
Agreed!

The W still has plenty of time to course correct. Let's see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray is not walking very well in that video. What's her condition?
Last I heard they are just being carefull and are keeping her out for now. Soon it will be a day by day thing.

You can not tell from her walk however, because I think in this video she is just acting sad and depressed. Besides, she always walks funny.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last I heard they are just being carefull and are keeping her out for now. Soon it will be a day by day thing.

You can not tell from her walk however, because I think in this video she is just acting sad and depressed. Besides, she always walks funny.

Right--she may have been walking funny on purpose. But I have heard nothing about her injury recovery since she was hurt. in September. I'm curious as to whether she can be ready for the regular season and the Olympics.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Right--she may have been walking funny on purpose. But I have heard nothing about her injury recovery since she was hurt. in September. I'm curious as to whether she can be ready for the regular season and the Olympics.
The people who need to know, know. Chelsea never released a definitive statement about her injury or her recovery because it's none of our business. Some athletes will let us know the extent of their injury and the prognosis (and I appreciate them for that). She didn't, and there's nothing that the organization could do about that since the injury recovery did not take place during the WNBA season. I'm good with that because it's her business, not ours.

The Aces don't play a real preseason game, so we probably won't see her next weekend. She has about a week to get ready for Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Too bad the Dallas team doesn't have a partnership with the Mavericks, then they could possibly move the regular season matchups with Indiana to American Airlines Center. Or at least maybe they could look into using the arena in Fort Worth which is twice the size of the University Center. They could offset the rental cost with the increase in ticket sales.

We are all random posters.
WNBA’s Dallas Wings poised to relocate to downtown Dallas arena in proposed deal with city

From another thread.

The Wings are in negotiation to play at Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Presumably they would move after the scheduled renovation.

Yup, they're talking spring of '26

From a Dallas resident:

Overall right now the wings play 30-46 minutes OUTSIDE of downtown Dallas or the CITY of Dallas. They currently play in 6,500 Max college arena in Arlington 5 minutes from cowboy stadium. This move brings us 5 minutes from the Mavericks in actually Dallas instead of 45 minutes away aka Disconnect within both programs. I like it , AAC is literally maybe even less than 5 minutes from the Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Larger arena and one step closer to getting Marc Cuban to say yes to the AAC (American Airlines Arena) partnership for the Alrington aka Dallas Wings.

15 year lease

Reaction Score
Without CC, this does not happen. CC has promoted the WNBA, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Glad the WNBA got the message that it's not all about CC. If you want to grow the league, you've got to highlight more than one player.
Tell that to MJ.

Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray "said" something popped in her foot.

Reaction Score
Without CC, this does not happen. CC has promoted the WNBA, not the other way around.
Yes Clark is bringing in a lot of new viewers but it doesn't excuse the WNBA from doing. better job leveraging interest fans have in other players. The Lynx-Sky game had almost 2M viewers via a private invidual streaming it to see players like Reese and Cardoso. Especially if they want to land a better media deal for the league as a whole.

Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray "said" something popped in her foot.
When was this statement said? The Aces have posted clips of Gray training recently. What you're referring to sounds like what Gray said last season when it happened.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good Monday morning. Have seen some individual transactions noted on this thread, but upon a visit to the WNBA transactions page, I'll list this weekend's notations by team.

Atlanta Dream
  • Waived Elizabeth Balogun
  • Waived Taja Cole

Connecticut Sun
  • Waived Leigha Brown
  • Waived Rennie Davis
  • Waived Shey Peddie

Dallas Wings
  • Waived Emma Cannon
  • Waived Ashley Owusu

Las Vegas Aces
  • Waived Brea Beal
  • Waived Morgan Jones

Minnesota Timberwolves
  • Waived Mimi Collins
  • Waived Jaime Nared

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The people who need to know, know. Chelsea never released a definitive statement about her injury or her recovery because it's none of our business. Some athletes will let us know the extent of their injury and the prognosis (and I appreciate them for that). She didn't, and there's nothing that the organization could do about that since the injury recovery did not take place during the WNBA season. I'm good with that because it's her business, not ours.

The Aces don't play a real preseason game, so we probably won't see her next weekend. She has about a week to get ready for Phoenix.

I don't have a "need" to know, but when I think about the Aces this season or the composition of the Olympic team, her health is a big unknown. I hope she's ok, but I don't really know. So there is a big "if" there. Is she almost ready to go, or is she out for a few months? I have no idea.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I don't have a "need" to know, but when I think about the Aces this season or the composition of the Olympic team, her health is a big unknown. I hope she's ok, but I don't really know. So there is a big "if" there. Is she almost ready to go, or is she out for a few months? I have no idea.
And that's fine. Neither Chelsea nor the Aces want anyone to know anything other than what's currently out there. It's her medical information.

Reaction Score
I don't have a "need" to know, but when I think about the Aces this season or the composition of the Olympic team, her health is a big unknown. I hope she's ok, but I don't really know. So there is a big "if" there. Is she almost ready to go, or is she out for a few months? I have no idea?

The current news blackout on Chelsea Gray’s “injury” might be one reason that Kate

Martin is still in the Aces training camp. The Las Vegas Aces Management can use her

as a replacement player insurance policy that will allow Chelsea Gray to play load man-

aged minutes for the first half of the season or to sit out the season until after the Oly-

mpics. IF Kate Martin can serve as a second rotation SG with a +/- of 0 to 5, the Aces

can live with that.

IF Chelsea Gray is not 100% by July 1 of this year, that opens up a Team USA roster spot.

IF Caitlin Clark is on the Team USA roster and plays well against Team WNBA for this year’s

All-Star Game, she is going to Paris.

USA Basketball has until July 7, nearly two months into the 2024 WNBA season, to send a
final roster to the International Olympic Committee, though the team could be announced
before then. Team USA is scheduled to have another training camp in Phoenix as part of
WNBA All-Star Weekend from July 18-20. This year's All-Star Game will feature Team USA
versus Team WNBA.

Reaction Score

From another Post:

Monday May 6, 2024

Bria Hartley was waived by the Las Vegas Aces.

They’re making sure Kate Martin makes the final roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom