WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Atlanta will remain a top 6 team. The starting 5 was pretty good overall but the bench needs work. In about 15 minutes of play 4/5 starters reached double figures. Tina Charles and Aerial Powers additions could be enough to keep them in them top 4 conversation as they figure it out.

As for the Fever playing 4/5 starters for about 30 minutes in a preseason game to squeak by is concerning. I think they can be as competitive as last year but their defensive effort will determine if they become a playoff team or not.
There is something off about Sides in game coaching that makes me question the Fever’s ceiling. The roster construction of The Fever is also a little wonky. Back up posts play seems to be questionable at best and they lack athleticism on the wing. I’m interested in how the backcourt of Mitchell/Clark/Wheeler will play together since we haven’t seen all three in a game healthy yet but those are three very ball dominant guards and while they won’t all start I’d imagine they’ll get some time together. Lucky Smith and Boston are so versatile offensively they can work with whoever and look great. Before seeing them I thought they had a ceiling of 3 and a floor of 6 but now I think the ceiling and the floor are a little lower but we’ll see. Maybe the pieces will fit together and make sense once they start to play together but some things have me scratching my head off-season so far.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
JJ was hurt but was their best player from August through the playoffs once she got healthy.
This is true. JJ won the Commissioner's Cup MVP and was the most consistent player (IMO) for the Liberty from August to October.

I don't reject the notion that Stewie could be in a decline, but I will say that I think Sandy Brondello burned her out last year in part because of Jonquel's injury. If JJ is healthy this year, then I think Brondello needs to lean on her more from the jump.

Reaction Score
This is true. JJ won the Commissioner's Cup MVP and was the most consistent player (IMO) for the Liberty from August to October.

I don't reject the notion that Stewie could be in a decline, but I will say that I think Sandy Brondello burned her out last year in part because of Jonquel's injury. If JJ is healthy this year, then I think Brondello needs to lean on her more from the jump.
I mean Stewie’s averaged 4 points per game during the preseason . She looked bad playing with team USA. I’m not sure she’s even a starter on a real contending team at this point in her career, but I don’t think the Liberty are contenders this year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
From WNBA Transactions Page of Friday, May 10.

Chicago Sky

- Waived Taya Reimer

Connecticut Sun

- Waived both Taiyanna Jackson and Helena Pueyo

Indiana Fever

- Exercised options on both Lexie Hull, Kristy Wallace

- Waived both Maya Caldwell, Leilan Correa

Reaction Score
There are so many great players that don't make a team. I think that's what has me so excited about the expansion.

I was daydreaming yesterday about a 20 team league with 5 team north/south/east/west divisions. With 12 player rosters that would increase the number of salaried players to 240! It would be a 38 game schedule where every team plays each other twice -- a home and away game. The playoffs would have 12 teams with the division winners getting a bye week.

That feels like a good long-term goal for the league.

Reaction Score
There are so many great players that don't make a team. I think that's what has me so excited about the expansion.

I was daydreaming yesterday about a 20 team league with 5 team north/south/east/west divisions. With 12 player rosters that would increase the number of salaried players to 240! It would be a 38 game schedule where every team plays each other twice -- a home and away game. The playoffs would have 12 teams with the division winners getting a bye week.

I agree. That would be a significant increase that gives more players a chance to play in North America.

Reaction Score
You might be right, but I would wait for awhile before coming to that conclusion. Players often suddenly have an off year. give it a season and then we will see if it's permanent or just an off season.
Last year wasn't an Off Season, she was very good in the regular season but had problems during the playoffs.
Now preseason games mean nothing, excet getting the roster
I expect Breanna to be in the MVP discussion by the end of the season

Reaction Score
Mercury end the preseason at home by holding the Spark, last in Voepel's early season power rating, to 98 points, 50% shooting and showcase Zia Cook.

The Mercury's million dollar coach evidently hasn't fully implemented perimeter defense as the Spark hit 16 of 32 from three land. Bella fouled out after 17 minutes on the court.

That razor sharp focus in Phoenix resulted in 30 fouls three more than made goals.

Tibbetts has evidently been focusing on rebounding and the Mercury have a ways to go as they are out rebounded 42 to 20.

Newcomers Cloud and Cooper were -12 and -15.

Looks like another long season in store in the valley of the Sun.

Reaction Score
Clearly the Stewie downgrading is ridiculous as she is at worst the 2nd best player in the world. That being said I’m glad Aja has silenced her doubters. At SC there were some on this board who didn’t think she was that good and I recall some posting KLS was the better player. KLS had a great college career herself but it was also clear she wasn’t in the same league as Aja with respect to talent.

Reaction Score
Clearly the Stewie downgrading is ridiculous as she is at worst the 2nd best player in the world. That being said I’m glad Aja has silenced her doubters. At SC there were some on this board who didn’t think she was that good and I recall some posting KLS was the better player. KLS had a great college career herself but it was also clear she wasn’t in the same league as Aja with respect to talent.
I really don't know where ya'll are getting this stuff ... and why the heck drag KLS into this?

Reaction Score

I love this idea but I would prefer to have at least 14 player rosters. That allows teams the chance to develop players and if injury strikes teams can use players who already know their system instead plugging random players for 7 day contracts who have to learn so much and contribute in such a short period of time.

Reaction Score
I love this idea but I would prefer to have at least 14 player rosters. That allows teams the chance to develop players and if injury strikes teams can use players who already know their system instead plugging random players for 7 day contracts who have to learn so much and contribute in such a short period of time.
Both ideas have merit. Your suggestion for 14 player rosters may be easier to implement to start, with the idea of a 20 team league being a long term goal.

Reaction Score
I really don't know where ya'll are getting this stuff ... and why the heck drag KLS into this
I’m referencing how the article ranking the WNBA players earlier. has Aja at 1. Stewie is at 3, but to me is 2 and arguably 1 depending on the metrics. I don’t see the reason to have to pick which is 1 because they are both amazing players.

I wasn’t dragging KLS in as much as remembering well the time where some posters here (not saying it was overwhelming) believed she was the best player in the country over Wilson and perhaps in college there wasn’t a large gap. To me it was pretty evident who was more gifted. Wilson has grown even more as a pro than I’d have guessed and I’m happy for her.

Reaction Score
I’m referencing how the article ranking the WNBA players earlier. has Aja at 1. Stewie is at 3, but to me is 2 and arguably 1 depending on the metrics. I don’t see the reason to have to pick which is 1 because they are both amazing players.

I wasn’t dragging KLS in as much as remembering well the time where some posters here (not saying it was overwhelming) believed she was the best player in the country over Wilson and perhaps in college there wasn’t a large gap. To me it was pretty evident who was more gifted. Wilson has grown even more as a pro than I’d have guessed and I’m happy for her.
it sure looks like it to me ..... and now you are "doubling down" ... just drop the comparison altogether. Though feel free to do all the Breanna Stewart bashing you want.

Reaction Score
Mercury end the preseason at home by holding the Spark, last in Voepel's early season power rating, to 98 points, 50% shooting and showcase Zia Cook.

The Mercury's million dollar coach evidently hasn't fully implemented perimeter defense as the Spark hit 16 of 32 from three land. Bella fouled out after 17 minutes on the court.

That razor sharp focus in Phoenix resulted in 30 fouls three more than made goals.

Tibbetts has evidently been focusing on rebounding and the Mercury have a ways to go as they are out rebounded 42 to 20.

Newcomers Cloud and Cooper were -12 and -15.

Looks like another long season in store in the valley of the Sun.
I watched a little but fell asleep (east coast and getting old). They looked not very good tbh but they didn't have BG. Still defense wasn't very good and offense wasn't great. DT looked good. KAH looked good, but overall it wasn't great. I'm pulling for mad kiki to make the team but it seems like it will be tough as because of some of the bigger contracts they will most likely keep 11

Reaction Score

That would be epic! I am glad that Commish Engelbert is taking the slow and steady approach to expanding.

Reaction Score
This is pretty hilarious and what I love most about the WNBA (the sisterhood and camaraderie).

For context: All those players lost a bet to A’ja Wilson and had to wear South Carolina gear to their game in Columbia tonight.

Reaction Score
I watched a little but fell asleep (east coast and getting old). They looked not very good tbh but they didn't have BG. Still defense wasn't very good and offense wasn't great. DT looked good. KAH looked good, but overall it wasn't great. I'm pulling for mad kiki to make the team but it seems like it will be tough as because of some of the bigger contracts they will most likely keep 11
You are correct in these observations.

Neither Cloud nor Cooper looked remotely competent on the defensive end against a franchise that is the consensus bottom dweller.

Roster construction is also a major problem lacking anything resembling a 4.

It appears the Mercury share with the Suns this incompetence in roster construction. For the Suns the inexcusable consolidation of the entire salary cap in three players is a head scratcher. The Mercury however it's not a head scratcher as the front office under the previous administration engaged in malpractice both in formulating the roster, strategy, dealing away draft picks, as the salary was concentrated in the now infamous Skyler, DT, BG trio.

The new owner and administration has moved on to million dollar Nate for a new start. As a long time Mercury fan I can discern no change in culture or competence.

Looks like the Mercury and not the Spark are the door mat of the W.

Loyal Mercury fans are finally showing their discouragement as 4800 showed up to watch the pathetic effort by the Mercury. Contrast that preseason attendance with the Clark-led fever shut out.

The 17 minute foul out by Bella says it all about the past, present and future of this once proud franchise.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is pretty hilarious and what I love most about the WNBA (the sisterhood and camaraderie).

For context: All those players lost a bet to A’ja Wilson and had to wear South Carolina gear to their game in Columbia tonight.

So...KP was smart enough to not take the bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom