With Hockey East membership, UConn overshadows Quinnipiac, Yale yet again | The Boneyard

With Hockey East membership, UConn overshadows Quinnipiac, Yale yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They’re the big brother, the bully on the block, and the large planet whose gravitational pull swallows up all of the matter around them.

UConn is the dominant athletic program in the state of Connecticut, and despite what old-school Yalies may believe, it’s not even close.

The Huskies are so successful, in so many different sports, that there’s virtually no room for the other D-1 schools in the state (CCSU, Fairfield, Hartford, Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac and Yale) to make their own mark.

College hockey used to be one of the rare places on the Connecticut college sports scene where some of the “other” six could shine.

On Tuesday night, UConn ceremoniously hammered the 15th-ranked Bobcats, 4-1, in an in-state showcase showdown in Bridgeport. OK, it’s just one regular season game, and it probably doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things, but what if this is a sign of things to come? What if this season is a jump-off point, where UConn’s hockey planet gains gravitational pull and begins to swallow up all of the large objects surrounding it?

http://sportzedge.com/2014/10/21/wi...-uconn-overshadows-quinnipiac-yale-yet-again/

Reaction Score
Hockey is one sport where D-1 private institutions can remain powerful and on equal or near footing with large state schools.

Reaction Score
If the big state schools start adding hockey then I predict the Yales, Quinnipiacs etc. in Hockey East will become has beens much like the old women basketball powers.

West Chester? Immaculata? Delta State?

Division I (no division 1968–1974, Large College 1974–1979)
Main article: AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament
AIAW championship 1972–82. Previously administered by the Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (CIAW).

Reaction Score
I doubt the big state schools will add it though, it's VERY VERY expensive to have a competitive hockey team. It's a Title IX nightmare in some respects.

Reaction Score
Sky ball. I attended West Chester when these women's championships were taking place and I played on the club hockey team. I didn't even know anything about the women's basketball success and no one talked about it. Times have certainly changed in the Women's basket ball world. Nice to see UCONN coming hard in the hockey world, now we really need to fix the football situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom