Will Gabby be 1st Team AA this Year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will Gabby be 1st Team AA this Year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In selecting AA teams, there has always been a bias towards championship teams. Had UConn not been so successful last year, it is unlikely that Tuck would have made AA. This year is a little different because there was nowhere near the preseason hype regarding the Huskies as last year.

If the Huskies continue to win; and most importantly take down SC on Feb 13 with their two AA candidates, it seems likely that both Lou & Pheesa will earn AA honors. Gabby is more problematic, because she is such an unconventionally brilliant basketball player who fills up a stat sheet like nobody we've ever seen.

The good news is that the folks who are tuned in to WBB are starting to take notice of Gabby's exploits. Just this morning I noticed on the ESPN trailer that they highlighted the stat lines of Lou, Pheesa & Gabby. In addition, Geno continues to praise Gabby's performance, and when Geno talks, people listen. IMO, Geno's comparison of Gabby Williams to Lawrence Taylor will be repeated over and over again by WBB pundits until it becomes a universal truth. Hopefully, when the AA teams are announced at the end of the season, there will be 3 new names added to the HOH.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Consider her development from freshman year to now. It is Gabby's modus operandi to will herself to become whatever she needs to be to graduate to the next level. She has the natural talent to will herself into a sleek jump shooter, the hops to slither in where bigs can't, and--most of all-the desire to be great. Watch out, doubters.

I agree, folks can't judge her potential on where she is now, although she is obviously one of the best college players. In highschool she was not 100% focused on BB and missed significant time with injury so her offensive skillset is behind (but has improved each year.). I think in the 2 or 3 POS in WNBA she can eventually excel as the rest of her game is either plus or plus plus.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Also, I'm not sure why some people think voters will be anti-UCONN.
1) Some people can find an anti-UCONN bias at Sunday school.
2) Some people here do not watch WCBB outside of UCONN games.
3) The UCONN team has been so dominant for so long that some people think UCONN players should be penciled in for every award.
4) There will always be some people-that is a good thing!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The good news is that the folks who are tuned in to WBB are starting to take notice of Gabby's exploits.
Gabby path to WBCA AA might be easier that we think. First of all it is coaches voting & second Gabby is the leading candidate to be National DPOY. I am looking it up now- but I don't believe the National DPOY has ever been left off the AA team. Coaches value defense.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
No. Unfortunately, AAs are chosen more for their offensive stats than anything else and while nobody impacts a game more than Williams, she simply does not score enough to garner AA distinction.
I agree, Tuck was named her Senior year averaging 12.5 ppg, but 4 Nattys and 75 consecutive wins are hard to argue with when selecting and AA. The rule was changed last year to accommodate Connecticut having Tuck as a 3rd AA. If Connecticut is the winner of 107 consecutive games and makes another FF, which is probable, then Gabulous would have to be under strong consideration with Lou and Pheesa. Kia Nurse is the player no one talks about, her stats aren't as good as some other guards, but man I'd love to have her on my team. She's tough as nails and when her offense is needed she can certainly step it up. The Kelseys put on a show and are really entertaining and fun to watch, but Kia is the type of guard that gets you Nattys....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby path to WBCA AA might be easier that we think. First of all it is coaches voting & second Gabby is the leading candidate to be National DPOY. I am looking it up now- but I don't believe the National DPOY has ever been left off the AA team. Coaches value defense.
It (National DPOY not being AA) has happened at least 1 time. In 2007 Jennifer Risper of Vandy was named National DPOY by WBCA and was not on the WBCA AA team.
WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The rule was changed last year to accommodate Connecticut having Tuck as a 3rd AA.
The rule was not changed last year nor has it been changed this year. The rule has always been that a school can only nominate a maximum of 3 players for the WBCA AA team. Morgan was excluded in 2015 because she would have been UCONN's 4th along with Stewie, KML, Moriah. [/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Actually you shortchanged Gray a few points that year :cool:. She averaged 12.6 points. Along with 5.4 assists, 5.3 rebounds, and 3.6 steals per game.
Yes your right that's mybad, her Sr year it was 10ppg, but even at 12.6ppg 5.4apg 5.3rpg and 3.6 spg her numbers compare pretty well to the numbers of Williams.

Reaction Score
How do we know how good her outside shot is? It's not her r0le on this years team.

Because we have seen her taking a couple mid-range shots every game. Also she is wide open and doesn't take it many times and hardly ever from 3pt (1-6). Tuck and Stewie and even Pheese took/take outside shots so trying to say it's not her role is not valid.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because we have seen her taking a couple mid-range shots every game. Also she is wide open and doesn't take it many times and hardly ever from 3pt (1-6). Tuck and Stewie and even Pheese took/take outside shots so trying to say it's not her role is not valid.
That would make Gabby pretty darn smart, giving up a mid range two for a layup. Gabby is shooting 55% for the year 2nd best on the team. #LetGABBYbeGREAT!

Reaction Score
That would make Gabby pretty darn smart, giving up a mid range two for a layup. Gabby is shooting 55% for the year 2nd best on the team. #LetGABBYbeGREAT!

If that is how you see it, I guess rest of team is not smart hitting outside shots even though they can hit layups too. Her 55% is less impressive against Lou's slightly less lower number.

40% of 100 3pts shots = 120pts while 50% of 100 2 pts shots = 100pts....

Reaction Score
If that is how you see it, I guess rest of team is not smart hitting outside shots even though they can hit layups too. Her 55% is less impressive against Lou's slightly less lower number.

40% of 100 3pts shots = 120pts while 50% of 100 2 pts shots = 100pts....

The numbers are right but one reason Samuelson hits 3's at a high % is because defenses have to worry about Collier and Williams inside and she gets a lot of open looks. If she played on a team without such a great inside offense she would be getting fewer good shots and her % would suffer. And it works the other way too. Teams have to keep an eye on KLS and that gives UConn's inside scorers more opportunities.

Like last season, UConn has 5 really good scoring options and they work to give each other shots.

UConn - divas need not apply.

Reaction Score
The numbers are right but one reason Samuelson hits 3's at a high % is because defenses have to worry about Collier and Williams inside and she gets a lot of open looks. If she played on a team without such a great inside offense she would be getting fewer good shots and her % would suffer. And it works the other way too. Teams have to keep an eye on KLS and that gives UConn's inside scorers more opportunities.

Like last season, UConn has 5 really good scoring options and they work to give each other shots.

Please remember the thread I was replying to was "How do we know how good her outside shot is? It's not her r0le on this years team." So I agree 100% on what you say, but Lou is much more capable of creating her own shots and score in a variety of ways. My points were very valid and people often just say things that make them feel right, but don't address my points (not you.)

So again, saying its Gabby's role that has her taking outside shots is fool's gold. As I stated in another reply, Stewie, Tuck, and even Pheese have taken outside shots and 3s. Even Nat has shown more ability to hit outside shot. She does not take them because she is not consistent, and not even close from three. If she could hit it, then she would take it the shot much more when left wide open. I think she has improved and hope she continues to do so.

I guess since she is such a special player, and impacts the game in so many ways, folks do not want to let anyone point out any hole in her game.

Reaction Score
If Gabby (LT) continues to play at this level, she will be an AA somewhere, on UConn's wall, a high WNBA draft pick and a success as a pro. Her game is just so solid, between her ears and end line to end line. Give me of one team in the country she wouldn't be starting for. I don't care if she averages 10 per game or makes a 3 every other. I add up pts, assts, rebs, steals and blocks when I look at a player. I'd put her numbers up against anyone's. I'd want her on my team. Used to tell a friend from Sparks he should go see her play in HS. He was a towny and he didn't. Dope. Gabby, Lou and Naph will make some AA squads somewhere despite WBBA politics and arbitrary AA count per team limits, before they go on to bigger and better.

Funny you stated "Give me of one team in the country she wouldn't be starting for?" I had taken it further with an earlier post in a different thread that I can't think of one player on a team we have played that I would pick over her (said only one I would consider is Mitchell, thinking if she had same players and coach on UConn.) Since its 10 players for first team I can see her making it. The impressive thing is, besides passing the eye test by a mile, until the last few games those stats she built was against arguably the hardest schedule to date.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The rule was not changed last year nor has it been changed this year. The rule has always been that a school can only nominate a maximum of 3 players for the WBCA AA team. Morgan was excluded in 2015 because she would have been UCONN's 4th along with Stewie, KML, Moriah.
[/QUOTE]
That's not my understanding, but tired of arguing with BY'ers on their Board, I'm just a voyeur here so whatever...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sorry but the minutia in my head occasionally needs an outlet and this is a good opportunity. It is actually 3 years running now that UCONN has placed 3 players on WBCA AA list.
2016 Stewie, Morgan, Moriah
2015 Stewie, KML, Moriah
2014 Stefanie, Bria, Stewie
WBCA teams going back to 1975 can be found here. I don't see where any other school besides UCONN has ever placed 3 players on a team in one year and UCONN has done it a handful of times.
WBCA All-America teams: 1975-2015
As usual, great job, Coco!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That's not my understanding, but tired of arguing with BY'ers on their Board, I'm just a voyeur here so whatever...[/QUOTE]
WBCA Coaches' All-America
Here is the link stating 3. Instead of acting childish, just accept you didn't know the rule and move on. It's ok as the BYers are a benevolent and knowledgeable group, unless you act like an ass and then....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WBCA Coaches' All-America
Here is the link stating 3. Instead of acting childish, just accept you didn't know the rule and move on. It's ok as the BYers are a benevolent and knowledgeable group, unless you act like an ass and then....

Thanks for providing this link. In 2015 when this last became an issue with Morgan left out a BY poster suggested that one of the other coaches in the AAC should just nominate 2 of thier own player and a UCONN player-Morgan. That is against the rules also. "A coach cannot nominate a player from another team. " UCONN has a very real dilemma.

Reaction Score
In recent memory only Maya, Stewie and maybe Moriah have elicited as many gasps and wows from the crowd and the broadcast teams. She is the player to watch whenever she's on the court. I don't watch a ton of games other than UConn and a few of the bigger non-UConn matchups, but to me this is a no-brainer. The problem, as has happened in the past, is that she has 2 or 3 teammates that are AA quality also. Gabby MUST get up on that wall at some point.

She probably wont because of Uconn bias, anyone that knows the sport knows that GABBY is certainly one of the 10 best players in the country. One of the most impactful players this heralded program has produced....

Reaction Score

I'm a fan of the movie Wargames which a poster provided a link a while ago. I'm also a Star Trek fan. Also a Star Trek Next Generation Fan. I usually am in the middle of "who is best etc" but with this team I'm happily VEXED. :)
Therefore imo the best thing to do is what the WOPR (War Operations Planned Response) did in Wargames claiming the best move to make in Global Thermonuclear War was not to play.
And as for Star Trek Next Generation The Borg claimed it was futile to resist. It imo is futile to figure who is best for this team. They are the perfect ying-yang.

While you mention the reason why Lou hits as many 3's is the defenses worry about Collier and Gabby down low. Yet if that were the case, then why don't teams play more zone and sag? For example you can go back to the postgame presser - The Texas coach and Muffett BOTH said "They thought about playing zone but decided against it." Did they decide against it because of Gabby or because of Lou? Or because of Gabby and Collier vs the combined great shooting Lou, Nurse and Chong?

Take a look at Lou's 2nd 3pt basket vs Tulsa. She was in the corner. She caught the pass. The defender was close to her, but the defender was BOTH smaller and not in her grill but she was close. To me- it first looked like Lou was set to make a pass after she caught it. To me it looked like she then noticed the defender wasn't completely in her grill though she was close and the defender was smaller so Lou just easily shot it over the defender. IMO KML couldn't have gotten off that shot. Now think about if you play zone vs UCONN. Lou would move to the top side of the zone in which the opposing team has small guards- she'd shoot over them easily because most zones the intent is to stop the ball from going inside. It's not always the intent but it usually is. Unlike KML, Lou is 6'3 - she has size and releases/shoots the ball high. VS a zone she can slide to the side in which the guards are smallest near the top and shoot there all day. You heard Meg Culmo say Lou loves shooting from the top. Because SHE DOES. She's a zone buster due to her shot and her size. You can say she is also a freak. She is like KML when it comes to shooting but she is longer and quicker. And KML was 1st team a/a. A super great.

That defender needed to play perfect defense on Lou or hope she misses. How often over the course of a game do college kids play perfect defense?

I'm reminded of the Monty Python and The Holy Grail movie of the battle between King Arthur and The Black Knight. At the end the Knight wants to keep fighting but has no arms left and Arthur says "what are you going to do, bleed on me?" In a zone what are those small guards going to do to affect Lou's shot? The reason they are in a zone is to stop the inside. So once the ball finds Lou, do you think Lou would even notice the small guards running at her?

But then again I'm sure Lou isn't that worried because someone like Gabby is such a great offensive rebounder so she doesn't feel as much pressure if she misses, thus she shoots with more confidence knowing her team as she uses the expression "has her back." .

But then again Gabby can be the terrific offensive rebounder because a player like Lou forces the other team to extend their defense thus giving Gabby more room to utilize her quickness.

But then again . . . Ahh forget it!! I'm like the WOPR- I'm not playing!! How about a nice game of chess?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the movie Wargames which a poster provided a link a while ago. I'm also a Star Trek fan. Also a Star Trek Next Generation Fan. I usually am in the middle of "who is best etc" but with this team I'm happily VEXED. :)
Therefore imo the best thing to do is what the WOPR (War Operations Planned Response) did in Wargames claiming the best move to make in Global Thermonuclear War was not to play.
And as for Star Trek Next Generation The Borg claimed it was futile to resist. It imo is futile to figure who is best for this team. They are the perfect ying-yang.

While you mention the reason why Lou hits as many 3's is the defenses worry about Collier and Gabby down low. Yet if that were the case, then why don't teams play more zone and sag? For example you can go back to the postgame presser - The Texas coach and Muffett BOTH said "They thought about playing zone but decided against it." Did they decide against it because of Gabby or because of Lou? Or because of Gabby and Collier vs the combined great shooting Lou, Nurse and Chong?

Take a look at Lou's 2nd 3pt basket vs Tulsa. She was in the corner. She caught the pass. The defender was close to her, but the defender was BOTH smaller and not in her grill but she was close. To me- it first looked like Lou was set to make a pass after she caught it. To me it looked like she then noticed the defender wasn't completely in her grill though she was close and the defender was smaller so Lou just easily shot it over the defender. IMO KML couldn't have gotten off that shot. Now think about if you play zone vs UCONN. Lou would move to the top side of the zone in which the opposing team has small guards- she'd shoot over them easily because most zones the intent is to stop the ball from going inside. It's not always the intent but it usually is. Unlike KML, Lou is 6'3 - she has size and releases/shoots the ball high. VS a zone she can slide to the side in which the guards are smallest near the top and shoot there all day. You heard Meg Culmo say Lou loves shooting from the top. Because SHE DOES. She's a zone buster due to her shot and her size. You can say she is also a freak. She is like KML when it comes to shooting but she is longer and quicker. And KML was 1st team a/a. A super great.

That defender needed to play perfect defense on Lou or hope she misses. How often over the course of a game do college kids play perfect defense?

I'm reminded of the Monty Python and The Holy Grail movie of the battle between King Arthur and The Black Knight. At the end the Knight wants to keep fighting but has no arms left and Arthur says "what are you going to do, bleed on me?" In a zone what are those small guards going to do to affect Lou's shot? The reason they are in a zone is to stop the inside. So once the ball finds Lou, do you think Lou would even notice the small guards running at her?

But then again I'm sure Lou isn't that worried because someone like Gabby is such a great offensive rebounder so she doesn't feel as much pressure if she misses, thus she shoots with more confidence knowing her team as she uses the expression "has her back." .

But then again Gabby can be the terrific offensive rebounder because a player like Lou forces the other team to extend their defense thus giving Gabby more room to utilize her quickness.

But then again . . . Ahh forget it!! I'm like the WOPR- I'm not playing!! How about a nice game of chess?
The stated reason for not playing in war games is because you can't win. Here it is the opposite, by picking a favorite, you can't lose because they are all great. Let the games continue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom